Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 83997 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2021, 09:28:24 am »
Just starting "Kolyma Tales" by Varlam Shalamov, semi-autobiographical short stories about life in the Soviet labor camps of far north-eastern Siberia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolyma_Tales

I had seen these mentioned while reading The Gulag Archipelago, so I hunted it up and downloaded it...
That sounds interesting. Do you have a link to the download?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2021, 02:50:36 pm »
Smokin' Joe wrote:
"That sounds interesting. Do you have a link to the download?"

Can't remember exactly where I found it, but try this:
Open a search engine (I used and recommend the "Epic privacy browser" for this task) and enter:
"epub Kolyma Tales"

That should do it.
The first hit may be all you need.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2021, 09:26:25 am »
Smokin' Joe wrote:
"That sounds interesting. Do you have a link to the download?"

Can't remember exactly where I found it, but try this:
Open a search engine (I used and recommend the "Epic privacy browser" for this task) and enter:
"epub Kolyma Tales"

That should do it.
The first hit may be all you need.
Thanks. I wasn't going to sign up for a 50 buck a month thingy, so I just bought a copy...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2021, 01:48:47 pm »
As soon as I finish the book on Antietam, I'm planning to reread the Chronicles of Narnia for the first time since 1982. The Second Chapter of Acts album, "The Roar of Love," a musical interpretation of the first volume, "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe," has been in my car's CD player for a few weeks now, and I'm inspired.

"Are you going to Narnia? Take me along with you to see the Lion with the golden mane, and stare into His eyes of True..."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2021, 11:14:34 pm »
Joe wrote:
"I wasn't going to sign up for a 50 buck a month thingy, so I just bought a copy..."

Did I say anything about "paying" 50 a month?  (heh)
One has to learn to "scrounge around", for what "pieces" may be found.
(as did the prisoners in the Kolyma Tales...)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 11:15:22 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2021, 09:15:17 pm »
A couple of people in here recommended Louis L'Amour.  So I went to the library;  I selected "The Warrior's Path".  I'm anxious to start reading it.

I just finished reading Danielle Steel's "All that Glitters", one of her newest books.  It was good.  Not one of her best, but good and I would have written a very different ending. Her ending was same ole same ole predictable ending.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #206 on: March 09, 2021, 11:12:22 pm »
Just finished "Kolyma Tales", by Varlam Shalamov (a collection of stories about life in the frozen lands of the far northeast Soviet gulags).

Will start Phillip Dick's "The Man In The High Castle" tomorrow...

Offline verga

« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2021, 11:54:29 am »

Will start Phillip Dick's "The Man In The High Castle" tomorrow...
Lov3ed the Amazon Prime series.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2021, 01:43:34 pm »
I am on book 12 of a 14 book series that mixes MASH, Star Wars, and Apocalypse Now. 23rd book this year.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #209 on: March 10, 2021, 02:10:08 pm »
Lov3ed the Amazon Prime series.

Haven’t gotten around to see this, but I hear only good things.

Off topic, I really want to see Wandavision, but I don’t have Disney+
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #210 on: March 10, 2021, 02:29:36 pm »

A great story about my favorite airplane.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline thackney

« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2021, 02:30:07 pm »
I am on book 12 of a 14 book series that mixes MASH, Star Wars, and Apocalypse Now. 23rd book this year.

@bigheadfred

I have to ask, what is that series?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline verga

« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2021, 04:49:04 pm »
Haven’t gotten around to see this, but I hear only good things.

Off topic, I really want to see Wandavision, but I don’t have Disney+
I enjoyed WandaVision, Vergaette was So-so about it.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2021, 05:26:56 pm »

A great story about my favorite airplane.

@andy58-in-nh

There will always be a special place in my heart for fighter-bombers with propellers,and their pilots. We preferred the old A1 Skyraider over all other air support because they could fly low and slow,and put the bombs and cannon fire EXACTLY where we needed it when we were in danger of being overrun.

You could hear them coming in with cannons and MG's firing,and then zooming up and away right after they dropped the bombs or the napalm. Look up at them when your heard them hit the power to gain altitude,and half the time you would see the pilot smiling and waving at you because he had the canopy pushed back,and it seemed like they all wore leather helmets with goggles and had brightly colored scarves tied around their necks.

Hell,these guys would come in making gun runs after they were out of ammunition,just to keep the enemy from advancing on us. Usually the NVA would start hauling ass at the first sign of fighter-bombers coming in,even the jets. Anybody that isn't afraid of napalm isn't thinking clearly,and will soon think no more. I don't know about anyone else,but when I was on the radio and things were getting tight,I'd put in a request for Crispy Critters to let them know it was napalm time.

Loved,loved,LOVED me some Skyraiders! I can truthfully say that if it weren't for those guys,I wouldn't be here now to type these words.

I understand there is now and has been for years,a jet that is able to fly low and slow,and haul an insane amount of ordinance while doing so. I read a few years back about the AF wanting to declare it obsolete and to get rid of it,and the army screamed so loud about this even the Pentagram heard it and kept that in active service.

Fast jets are nice because they get there quickly,but when it comes time to drop ordinance or fire cannons at "danger close" range,you want something that can fly low and slow enough to see what they are doing and put it all in the right places.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 05:29:38 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

BassWrangler

« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2021, 06:04:45 pm »
@andy58-in-nh
I understand there is now and has been for years,a jet that is able to fly low and slow,and haul an insane amount of ordinance while doing so. I read a few years back about the AF wanting to declare it obsolete and to get rid of it,and the army screamed so loud about this even the Pentagram heard it and kept that in active service.

Yep, the A-10! Fantastic aircraft.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #215 on: March 10, 2021, 06:24:39 pm »

@BassWrangler

Yeah,that's the one!

I understand it also has an armored "pilot cage" that pretty much protects the pilot for ground small arms fire,too.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #216 on: March 10, 2021, 06:40:34 pm »

@sneakypete
@BassWrangler

A-1 Skyraider

A-10 Warthog

Both are awesome aircraft, but I was always kinda partial to the A-10 because you really can't not love a close-air support machine with a 30mm Gatling gun in its nose.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

BassWrangler

« Reply #217 on: March 10, 2021, 08:24:50 pm »
@sneakypete
@BassWrangler

A-1 Skyraider

A-10 Warthog

Both are awesome aircraft, but I was always kinda partial to the A-10 because you really can't not love a close-air support machine with a 30mm Gatling gun in its nose.

@andy58-in-nh

Brrrrrrrrtttttttttt

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #218 on: March 10, 2021, 10:09:16 pm »
@sneakypete
@BassWrangler

A-1 Skyraider

A-10 Warthog

@andy58-in-nh  @BassWrangler

True,but look at all the beautiful bombs hanging off the wings of the Skyraider. It also makes all the "right" "vroom,vroom" noises. Plus it has a cockpit canopy that slides back so you and the pilot can wave to each other.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #219 on: March 10, 2021, 11:49:35 pm »
@bigheadfred

I have to ask, what is that series?

Undying Mercenaries Series

by B.V. Larson

I was going to quit before now, but it is like watching tv. At book 12 the read is faster since I can skip the repeated stuff.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #220 on: March 11, 2021, 12:11:27 am »
The Warthog. Great Weapon.

Official Thread Hijack.

There used to be a video. POISONOUS LEGACY. Can't find it now. Look up depleted uranium.

We fired TONS of uranium shells in several conflicts. That sh*t has some long term effects.

We are using nuclear weapons all the effing time.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #221 on: March 11, 2021, 12:58:17 am »
The Warthog. Great Weapon.

Official Thread Hijack.

There used to be a video. POISONOUS LEGACY. Can't find it now. Look up depleted uranium.

We fired TONS of uranium shells in several conflicts. That sh*t has some long term effects.

We are using nuclear weapons all the effing time.

@bigheadfred

I am well be wrong because my memory sucks these days,but I THINK the USAF and USN fighters were firing them in VN?
I THINK they were mostly fired in 20 and 30 mm rounds,and were "tank killers".

BTW,I went to the page about the AI Skyraiders,and damned if there isn't a hour + afteraction review of the Hatchet Force Platoon I was  a member that went into Laos on Operation Tailwind. I got medievaced the day before or the same day they went in,after having visited 3 or 4 different military doctors about the severe rash I had all over my back and shoulders from my previous mission. They were calling it "Tropical Acne" back then,but we know it as "Agent Orange" these days. Probably saved my life because every man that went on that mission was either wounded or killed,and the guy that replaced me was killed in less than 10 minutes into his very first firefight. Didn't know what was going on because firefights can be confusing if you have never been in one,so he stood up to look around,and a  NVA round took the top of his head off.

While all this was going on,I was flying back home.

I will probably post that video after I have watched it all.

BassWrangler

« Reply #222 on: March 11, 2021, 04:44:30 am »
@bigheadfred

I am well be wrong because my memory sucks these days,but I THINK the USAF and USN fighters were firing them in VN?
I THINK they were mostly fired in 20 and 30 mm rounds,and were "tank killers".

BTW,I went to the page about the AI Skyraiders,and damned if there isn't a hour + afteraction review of the Hatchet Force Platoon I was  a member that went into Laos on Operation Tailwind. I got medievaced the day before or the same day they went in,after having visited 3 or 4 different military doctors about the severe rash I had all over my back and shoulders from my previous mission. They were calling it "Tropical Acne" back then,but we know it as "Agent Orange" these days. Probably saved my life because every man that went on that mission was either wounded or killed,and the guy that replaced me was killed in less than 10 minutes into his very first firefight. Didn't know what was going on because firefights can be confusing if you have never been in one,so he stood up to look around,and a  NVA round took the top of his head off.

While all this was going on,I was flying back home.

I will probably post that video after I have watched it all.

I did a little research, and it looks to me like The first time we started using depleted uranium in weapons was during the gulf war. Could be wrong, but I found several sources that said that. The US military started looking at it in the 1970s in response to some improvements the Soviets made on the armor on their tanks.

Also interesting: the depleted uranium is about 60% as radioactive as naturally occurring uranium. It's also quite toxic even without the radioactive effects. When it hits a target, it vaporizes. Nearby troops can breath the vapor or the dust it condenses to, leading to long term health problems. Some people think this is the source of "gulf war syndrome" that has been reported by so many GW veterans.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 04:45:54 am by BassWrangler »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #223 on: March 11, 2021, 05:10:37 am »
Some people think this is the source of "gulf war syndrome" that has been reported by so many GW veterans

@BassWrangler

I'm with "some people".

BassWrangler

« Reply #224 on: March 11, 2021, 06:03:00 am »
Some people think this is the source of "gulf war syndrome" that has been reported by so many GW veterans

@BassWrangler

I'm with "some people".

It would make sense. The only other theory I've heard that seems plausible is exposure to the chemical agents that we know Saddam had at one point.