Author Topic: Cuomo signs bill banning sale of Confederate flags  (Read 916 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Cuomo signs bill banning sale of Confederate flags
« on: December 16, 2020, 01:54:07 am »
https://nypost.com/2020/12/15/cuomo-signs-bill-banning-sale-of-confederate-flags/

by Bernadette Hogan and Carl Campanile
December 15, 2020

The new law — effective immediately — prohibits the sale of hate symbols on public grounds including state and local fairs, and also severely limits their display unless deemed relevant to serving an educational or historical purpose.

“This country faces a pervasive, growing attitude of intolerance and hate — what I have referred to in the body politic as an American cancer,” Cuomo wrote in his approval message.

“By limiting the display and sale of the confederate flag, Nazi swastika and other symbols of hatred from being displayed or sold on state property, including the state fairgrounds, this will help safeguard New Yorkers from the fear-installing effects of these abhorrent symbols.”

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Cuomo signs bill banning sale of Confederate flags
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 01:55:12 am »
Speaking of legislating morality. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 02:08:57 am »
It must be good to be Guido, the King on NY.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 02:17:51 am »
Doing a yeoman’s work in race relations, Andy. Surely THIS will make a real difference.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 02:18:21 am »
It must be good to be Guido, the King on NY.

And he shall be dubbed Cuomo the Lesser
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 04:37:48 am »
https://nypost.com/2020/12/15/cuomo-signs-bill-banning-sale-of-confederate-flags/

by Bernadette Hogan and Carl Campanile
December 15, 2020

The new law — effective immediately — prohibits the sale of hate symbols on public grounds including state and local fairs, and also severely limits their display unless deemed relevant to serving an educational or historical purpose.

“This country faces a pervasive, growing attitude of intolerance and hate — what I have referred to in the body politic as an American cancer,” Cuomo wrote in his approval message.

“By limiting the display and sale of the confederate flag, Nazi swastika and other symbols of hatred from being displayed or sold on state property, including the state fairgrounds, this will help safeguard New Yorkers from the fear-installing effects of these abhorrent symbols.”

(excerpt)
So I would set up somewhere not selling them but giving them away as a thank you gift  for donating a dollar amount that just happened to cover all costs and a reasonable profit. Did the little man say you couldn't give them away?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 04:42:02 am »
Makes me itch toward 'Dukes of Hazzard'-ing my truck and taking a ride back east.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 04:44:23 am »
First they came for the Confederate Flags....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 06:42:52 am »
Don't be showing up with those illegal New York License Plates, 'round here.   :whistle:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 01:56:42 pm »
I’ve never seen one in the five boroughs. Jersey yes.

It didn’t faze me to be honest but it was years ago like last century. And it was a bumper sticker.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 09:52:32 pm »

It didn’t faze me to be honest but it was years ago like last century. And it was a bumper sticker.
The funny thing about banning something, even in the City that had draft riots in 1863 after the Emancipation Proclamation, (one thing to fight to preserve the Union, another when the purpose of the war was restated), is that banning something is a great way to see more of it. Among the young, especially, rebellion is chic, and a Rebel Flag (the battle flag of the CSA) just might catch on a a symbol of resistance to the establishment despite all the programming of the last decade claiming it is a racist symbol (It never was).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 09:56:31 pm »
Forget that this is the confederate flag .... is this ban legal?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 09:58:04 pm »

That's so funny to me. I grew up with that flag, and I have worn that patch. Heck it's pretty likely I have it on something I wear even now. And the sticker is still on my truck, and always has been.

Anywhere there are rednecks, that Rebel flag still flies. It has always stood for legitimate rebellion and does to this very day... 'Sticking it to the man' to some degree, in a parlance you might understand...

I would be hard pressed to find anyone around here that has not worn or flown that flag. And not a one of them would call it racist.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 10:00:31 pm »
The funny thing about banning something, even in the City that had draft riots in 1863 after the Emancipation Proclamation, (one thing to fight to preserve the Union, another when the purpose of the war was restated), is that banning something is a great way to see more of it. Among the young, especially, rebellion is chic, and a Rebel Flag (the battle flag of the CSA) just might catch on a a symbol of resistance to the establishment despite all the programming of the last decade claiming it is a racist symbol (It never was).

That's right.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 10:14:56 pm »
Forget that this is the confederate flag .... is this ban legal?

Probably not. Cuomo should be laughed out of court and sued by NY taxpayers for every cent the state expends defending something patently unconstitutional.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 01:23:26 am »
I recall fondly working in White Plains for a number of years and the little red Toyota pickup I drove each day 44 miles each way sporting a confederate license plate in the front.

Sometimes had to drive to Manhattan or La Guardia/JFK to pick up people.

Never once did anyone in New York ever say anything negative about my plate.

Now?  It is a home of despots.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington