Author Topic: Video and audio from computer to tv  (Read 1210 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Video and audio from computer to tv
« on: December 16, 2020, 12:18:27 am »
I need to be able to view streaming web pages like Disney,Hulu,etc,etc,etc that I pull in on my computer,on my 58 inch  Samsung teebee.

I pull in some web channels on my ROKU that is connected to the teebee,but can't figure out how to add to that very short list.

What do I need to be able to do this,in the plainest language possible?  Pretend you are teaching a chimp.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

Re: Video and audio from computer to tv
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 12:25:36 am »
I need to be able to view streaming web pages like Disney,Hulu,etc,etc,etc that I pull in on my computer,on my 58 inch  Samsung teebee.

I pull in some web channels on my ROKU that is connected to the teebee,but can't figure out how to add to that very short list.

What do I need to be able to do this,in the plainest language possible?  Pretend you are teaching a chimp.

Buy a crappy used computer... Anything five years old and up with comparable to an Intel i5 (or better) chip and at least 8g of ram (16g would be nice). Dedicate it to be plugged into the tv.

It would be nice if it had onboard HDMI. If it does not, then you will have to buy a vid card for it that has HDMI.

It will need network. If you can get a cat5 cable over to the tv, that would be best, But AC or N wireless will do fine.

You will need an HDMI cable long enough to go from the tv to the pooter.

Ancillary concern:

You may wish to add a pretty monster hard drive at some point to contain movies and such.

You may wish to add audio out to an old school amp and speakers. Very possible, but another story.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 12:28:40 am by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 12:30:18 am »
Add a logitech wireless Keyboard w/ glidepad so you can operate it from your chair... 30 bucks at wally world.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 12:47:24 am »
Buy a crappy used computer... Anything five years old and up with comparable to an Intel i5 (or better) chip and at least 8g of ram (16g would be nice). Dedicate it to be plugged into the tv.

I have a 3 year old HP laptop that would serve.

HOW do I plug it into the tve?

It will need network. If you can get a cat5 cable over to the tv, that would be best, But AC or N wireless will do fine.

Do you have an English language version of the above?

You will need an HDMI cable long enough to go from the tv to the pooter.

In addition to the other cables already mentioned? WHERE does all this stuff plug into my laptop?

Ancillary concern:

You may wish to add a pretty monster hard drive at some point to contain movies and such.

Not really. I don't save things to watch later anymore. I'm not even going to live long enough to watch the stuff I want to watch that I haven't seen yet,so why watch re-runs?

You may wish to add audio out to an old school amp and speakers. Very possible, but another story.

What's wrong with my tv speakers?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 12:48:43 am »
Add a logitech wireless Keyboard w/ glidepad so you can operate it from your chair... 30 bucks at wally world.

@roamer_1

Already have it. Doan no nutting bout no glideplath unless it is related to the female anatomy,though.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 01:04:05 am »
I stream movies using ROKU to my TV. The movies are all on another computer on my network. Using ROKU, I tell it which machine(server), folder, and movie to stream. So you just need a machine on your network that ROKU can see. I currently have 2.5 TB of old movies and TV programs to choose from.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 01:05:18 am »
@roamer_1

Already have it. Doan no nutting bout no glideplath unless it is related to the female anatomy,though.

@sneakypete
Glidepad is nice over in the chair where you likely ain't got a mouse, nor a place to set it.

A glidepad is the square spot on a laptop that works for a mouse... same thing but built right into the keyboard...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 01:27:07 am »
I stream movies using ROKU to my TV. The movies are all on another computer on my network. Using ROKU, I tell it which machine(server), folder, and movie to stream. So you just need a machine on your network that ROKU can see. I currently have 2.5 TB of old movies and TV programs to choose from.

@Elderberry

I THINK that is a different deal than what I want to do. I am looking to watch streaming channels like the Disney Channel on my big screen plasma tv.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 01:31:15 am »
I have a 3 year old HP laptop that would serve.

HOW do I plug it into the tve?

Probably will. IF it has an HDMI output port... Looks kinda like a USB port, but USB won't fit it.
 It may not have one... In which case, I would be looking for a desktop machine to do the trick... Because it will either have HDMI or it can be added on a vid card.

You can maybe mcgyver it otherwise with the laptop, but HDMI is what is best. A DVI slot would be ok, but not as mo'bedda... And I can near bet there is no DVI port on that laptop. There is also HDMI by USB converters, but they suck.

Do you have an English language version of the above?

You will need network at the computer - From your router to yhe TV computer... Wired (cat5 cable) would be best - Bigger badder transmission rate... But wireless (which your laptop already has) will likely be fine. If it is 3 yrs old it is likely N or AC already (Types of wireless... AC is newest, then N, and G, which you would not like) So you are likely good on that.

In addition to the other cables already mentioned? WHERE does all this stuff plug into my laptop?

That is why an HDMI port is king... Just the one cable would be needed... It shoves both the video and the sound into the TV. You likely do not need a network wire, as the laptop is probably already rigged to get to internet wirelessly (WIFI). If you can get on the internet with it... Surfing with a browser I mean, you are already connected to network.

And the wireless keyboard will have a little USB thingy you will plug in, and that's it.

So LIKELY connections:

You need to see if it has a HDMI port.
You have it connected to network already.
And you need to plug in a USB connector for the wireless keyboard.

What's wrong with my tv speakers?

Probably alright. I got mine hooked through an old house amp and monster old house speakers (4 of them) because I like good sound... And mine is a media center... My music library is onboard that computer, and I will often stream music on the Yootoob... I need not go to far into the 'turn it up' mentality of that.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 02:16:01 am »
I  have heard this  called "casting"
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 02:48:28 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 02:22:33 am »
BTW @sneakypete

Both my HP Elitebooks have HDMI ports... Both located midway on the left side... It looks like USB but it's longer.... bigger.

If you have that, all you need is an HDMI cable long enough to connect em.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 03:55:44 am »
@sneakypete

Does your 58 inch  Samsung teebee have an ethernet port? If it does it may be new enough to be able to be a DLNA renderer(receiver). If so, all you need is for the tv and your pc device to be on the same ethernet network. Then the pc would be the DLNA server(player) and can stream across your network to the tv.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 11:38:25 pm »
BTW @sneakypete

Both my HP Elitebooks have HDMI ports... Both located midway on the left side... It looks like USB but it's longer.... bigger.

If you have that, all you need is an HDMI cable long enough to connect em.

@roamer_1

Thanks!

That's simple enough even I can understand it.

I will give it a shot when/if the freaking fever goes down.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 11:41:21 pm »
@sneakypete

Does your 58 inch  Samsung teebee have an ethernet port?

@Elderberry

Beats me. It's attached to the wall now,and I am running high fevers and confused. Not about to screw with it until my mind clears. Might try to eat it if I take it off the wall.

If it does it may be new enough to be able to be a DLNA renderer(receiver). If so, all you need is for the tv and your pc device to be on the same ethernet network. Then the pc would be the DLNA server(player) and can stream across your network to the tv.

And you had it sounding so simple.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 12:01:09 am »

I will give it a shot when/if the freaking fever goes down.

@sneakypete

Get better.  :beer:
I'll be around. Let me know.  :seeya: