Author Topic: Major snow and ice storm brewing for the East  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Major snow and ice storm brewing for the East
« on: December 13, 2020, 08:48:33 pm »
As the energy from a powerful storm system slamming the West Coast slides east over the upcoming week, it will become responsible for the next major winter storm for the United States. This time, it looks poised to strike much of the East Coast, bringing a large swath of drenching rain, deep snow and perhaps even a thick glaze of ice for some.

The finer details are still in limbo, but forecasters are growing increasingly confident that a large and highly impactful winter storm will impact the East during the middle part of the upcoming week.

A quick-hitting storm system racing off of the East Coast Monday will help to set the stage initially, depositing cold air across much of the East for the early part of the week.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/winter-weather/major-snow-and-ice-storm-brewing-for-the-east/865343

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Re: Major snow and ice storm brewing for the East
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 08:50:10 pm »
I can’t believe they just predicted 12-18 inches of snow Wednesday-Thursday for the NYC tri state area.

Let it snow, let it snow, snow let it snow!  ❄️❄️❄️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 09:40:15 pm »
Hmm... a snowfall right before Christmas. Anyone got some old silk hats? I want to see if we can get a snowman to come to life. ****drummer
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 09:51:07 pm »
A nice new blanket of snow with the sun shining on it to make it glisten is beautiful .... on Christmas Day.  Battling a snow or ice storm is no fun.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 09:56:44 pm »
I love snow. It’s ice on the roadways I am not a fan of .

Offline rustynail

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 10:01:48 pm »
Screw the 'east' may they freeze in the dark or slide into the ditch.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 11:15:09 pm »
Looks like it will be 2.5 inches here. Ugh. Not a fan.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 11:19:09 pm »
So happy I don't live in the snow belt region anymore.  I remember.  I have pictures of mountains of snow.  People removing snow from the top of their houses...SEARS! 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 08:07:10 pm »
Biggest snowstorm in years threatens the Northeast

Meteorologists predict six or more inches of snowfall after a series of mild winters.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/environment/530132-biggest-snowstorm-in-years-threatens-the
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 08:10:10 pm »
I love snow. It’s ice on the roadways I am not a fan of .

Nothing 4WD and a good set of chains don't fix  :shrug:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 08:15:34 pm »
My younger brother is moving from Buffalo, NY to his new home in Frederick, MD.  To escape the snow.

...on Thursday!!  LOL!

This, after we enjoyed a weekend sunny skies in the mid 60's here in Maryland.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 08:27:03 pm »
Biggest snowstorm in years threatens the Northeast

Meteorologists predict six or more inches of snowfall after a series of mild winters.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/environment/530132-biggest-snowstorm-in-years-threatens-the

Well, we haven’t had a really good snowstorm in years. I guess we’re due for a snowmageddon

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 11:47:25 pm »
My younger brother is moving from Buffalo, NY to his new home in Frederick, MD.  To escape the snow.

...on Thursday!!  LOL!

This, after we enjoyed a weekend sunny skies in the mid 60's here in Maryland.
Meanwhile, it's going to miss Buffalo.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/weather/big-snow-will-miss-buffalo-this-week/71-a331d9f0-1c63-4fec-b8ad-bcd76b4c4c5c

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 12:19:43 am »
Will never forget 1993 snowstorm, when you get 24" of snow in Alabama, you never never never forget it. We only got 22" here, but some got 24"+ on the mountain North end. Snowed in for nearly a freaking week.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 12:20:30 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 06:49:44 pm »
Weatherman keeps changing the snow amount. I guess they’ll stick a ruler outside and measure. Lol.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 06:58:39 pm »
[...] when you get 24" of snow [...]

Heh heh.... Well 2 ft is a bit more than a skiff, but it is not uncommon here, even overnight. In fact, I have seen it to where it dumped 2ft yesterday and 2 more ft today... Now you're talking about some snow. That might shut us down here for a day or two.  :laugh:

Worst year I ever seen I had to step over the berm to walk onto my garage roof. And at that it's more about running out of places to put it than it is anything else.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 06:59:31 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 07:44:11 pm »
Heh heh.... Well 2 ft is a bit more than a skiff, but it is not uncommon here, even overnight. In fact, I have seen it to where it dumped 2ft yesterday and 2 more ft today... Now you're talking about some snow. That might shut us down here for a day or two.  :laugh:

Worst year I ever seen I had to step over the berm to walk onto my garage roof. And at that it's more about running out of places to put it than it is anything else.

I remember as a kid loving snow, and it covering the steps up to our front door (4 steps high).  I loved having snowball fights,  building snowmen and sledding. I remember being so excited one Christmas when I got a brand new sled! Those were carefree days indeed.

Not much of a fan of snow as I got older ... one reason why I now live in FL.  Sunny today with mild temps in the 70's. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 07:58:41 pm »
I remember as a kid loving snow, and it covering the steps up to our front door (4 steps high).  I loved having snowball fights,  building snowmen and sledding. I remember being so excited one Christmas when I got a brand new sled! Those were carefree days indeed.

Not much of a fan of snow as I got older ... one reason why I now live in FL.  Sunny today with mild temps in the 70's.

There is a drift that happens on the backside of our barn.... Used to be you could climb the inside wall and crawl out onto the roof of the lean-to attached to that side... Had to jump outward a bit to get past the hard snow that come down off the roof, but there is that breathless moment of being airborne, with no worry as to whether your feet are under you, landing a moment later in a magnificent POOF! in snow deeper than my head.

Another time, I found a downed tree that had no snow under it... bare leaves... and I built one of my first snow houses  over that... I will never forget it - the eerie blue lighting of the sun showing through the snow, laid down on a thick bed of leaves, smelling like summer and dirt... one of the first nights I ever spent outside in the winter.

Time does go on... I am far past building a quinzhee now... But if I can get on my legs again (I tore up a knee this fall) I am not past a hot tent up in the deep woods, even if I can't do it on snowshoes... I would love it anyway going in on a snow machine pullin a polk with a hot tent on it, a stove, and all the trimmings. There is a solemnity about the outback caught in the silence of winter... the crisp air of below zero temperatures... The utter quiet of it all. Ten below outside and snug as a bug in the tent.

I hurt like crazy in the winter, but I would even there by you... So I will keep the snow. I love the seasons.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 08:30:05 pm »
There is a drift that happens on the backside of our barn.... Used to be you could climb the inside wall and crawl out onto the roof of the lean-to attached to that side... Had to jump outward a bit to get past the hard snow that come down off the roof, but there is that breathless moment of being airborne, with no worry as to whether your feet are under you, landing a moment later in a magnificent POOF! in snow deeper than my head.

Another time, I found a downed tree that had no snow under it... bare leaves... and I built one of my first snow houses  over that... I will never forget it - the eerie blue lighting of the sun showing through the snow, laid down on a thick bed of leaves, smelling like summer and dirt... one of the first nights I ever spent outside in the winter.

Time does go on... I am far past building a quinzhee now... But if I can get on my legs again (I tore up a knee this fall) I am not past a hot tent up in the deep woods, even if I can't do it on snowshoes... I would love it anyway going in on a snow machine pullin a polk with a hot tent on it, a stove, and all the trimmings. There is a solemnity about the outback caught in the silence of winter... the crisp air of below zero temperatures... The utter quiet of it all. Ten below outside and snug as a bug in the tent.

I hurt like crazy in the winter, but I would even there by you... So I will keep the snow. I love the seasons.

You painted a very beautiful picture of enjoying the snow.  You have a wonderful way of life and one that I envy.  I can't do the cold. (I'd definitely have to have one awesome wood stove). I visit my parks and enjoy nature as much as I can these days, when I can.  Trying to think positively that one day I'll be able to hike my 2 miles or more and go up and down hills, instead of my short walks that I take these days. 

Getting older isn't among one of my favorite things.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 08:31:55 pm by libertybele »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 08:44:17 pm »
You painted a very beautiful picture of enjoying the snow.  You have a wonderful way of life and one that I envy.  I can't do the cold. (I'd definitely have to have one awesome wood stove). I visit my parks and enjoy nature as much as I can these days, when I can.  Trying to think positively that one day I'll be able to hike my 2 miles or more and go up and down hills, instead of my short walks that I take these days. 

Getting older isn't among one of my favorite things.  :laugh:

Oh I get that.  :beer:

But then, Mamma's hitting her eighties and can still do a fair hike... Well, since she got her new hips I mean... SHe was with me a lot of the time when I first got up out of the wheelchair. Got to where it was a pretty normal thing for her and I to walk up to the local conoco where there is a whistle-stop kinda store... We'd go up there and have a Snapple Peach tea, turn around and walk home... That's about three miles all told... And she'd do that three times a week..

Not braggin her up over you - More to say that hope does spring eternal. There was a time she was all stove up and I thought her done. Not the case, by far.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 08:45:32 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2020, 11:31:13 pm »
Weatherman keeps changing the snow amount. I guess they’ll stick a ruler outside and measure. Lol.
Yeah, at first it was 2.5" here, now it looks like we'll get more like 6". Grrr.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2020, 03:56:12 am »
For the record, these nor'easters are among the toughest storms to forecast. In meteorology school we devoted half a semester entirely to them. (To be frank, there are a lot of factors that even I don't remember.) It's a lot of math, but fascinating.

(My mother, who has no math/science background, read the textbook for that class, which talks about famous nor'easters, and enjoyed it. She keeps it on her bookshelf.)

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 01:29:12 pm »
I don’t know if it’s going to be bad or not. Or how bad.

Snowpocalypse and Snowmageddon are on the radio. They are telling peeps to expect power loss because it will be a wet snow. Or a snow then ice on top.

The worst is kids don’t get a snow day. That stinks. What good is having snow if you can’t get a snow day?

Personally I don’t think anyone knows.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2020, 01:30:13 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

Krampus, not