Author Topic: Ted Cruz votes against defense funding bill that could rename Fort Hood  (Read 388 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Cayla Harris Dec. 11, 2020

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz voted against the National Defense Authorization Act on Friday, echoing President Donald Trump’s criticism of the legislation for creating a commission to rename military bases named for Confederate leaders and for declining to repeal some liability protections for social media companies.

“House Democrats have cynically taken advantage of this must-pass legislation to secure a host of partisan projects unrelated to national security and in conflict with the Constitution, including requiring the Department of Defense to rename our military bases in a political effort to erase our nation’s history,” Cruz said Friday.

In Texas, that could mean a change in the near future at Fort Hood, the Killeen base named for Kentucky native John Bell Hood, who commanded Texas troops during the Civil War. The state is also home to the lesser-known Camp Maxey, a Texas Army National Guard training facility near Paris named for Confederate general Samuel Bell Maxey.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/local/politics/data/article/Ted-Cruz-votes-against-defense-funding-bill-that-15795378.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Ted Cruz votes against defense funding bill that could rename Fort Hood
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 09:56:57 pm »
It is the correct vote.

Renaming a base has nothing to do with the defense of our country.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 10:59:35 pm »
It is the correct vote.

Renaming a base has nothing to do with the defense of our country.

I actually break with Cruz on this one, I don't think it was the correct vote.

Now you are absolutely right, the names of the bases has nothing to do with the actual defense of the country.  Furthermore I oppose attempts to erase Confederate names from American history, and I note that Confederate veterans have been granted the same treatment as Union veterans more than once under Federal law.  But the base names are symbolic; whether it's called Fort Hood or Joint Base Trayvon Martin, as we both agree the name of the base is irrelevant to the defense of the country.  I don't like the re-naming, but it is a Defense Department issue and I don't see it as a reason to vote against funding.

Also I note that Cruz (and Trump) have argued against the Defense Authorization Bill because it does *not* include repeal of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, to remove liability protection from information "platforms" which act as "publishers."  Well I'm fully in favor of that repeal, but it's also not a National Defense issue; the ability to sue "platforms" for slander because they've become "publishers" has nothing to do with defending the country, and I'm disappointed that Cruz would make that argument against a bill which has an entirely different purpose.

The point is moot; the bill passed and, if vetoed, the veto will be over-ridden.  And reasonable people can differ on this one I think.
James 1:20

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 12:13:19 am »
I actually break with Cruz on this one, I don't think it was the correct vote.

Now you are absolutely right, the names of the bases has nothing to do with the actual defense of the country.  Furthermore I oppose attempts to erase Confederate names from American history, and I note that Confederate veterans have been granted the same treatment as Union veterans more than once under Federal law.  But the base names are symbolic; whether it's called Fort Hood or Joint Base Trayvon Martin, as we both agree the name of the base is irrelevant to the defense of the country.  I don't like the re-naming, but it is a Defense Department issue and I don't see it as a reason to vote against funding.

Also I note that Cruz (and Trump) have argued against the Defense Authorization Bill because it does *not* include repeal of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, to remove liability protection from information "platforms" which act as "publishers."  Well I'm fully in favor of that repeal, but it's also not a National Defense issue; the ability to sue "platforms" for slander because they've become "publishers" has nothing to do with defending the country, and I'm disappointed that Cruz would make that argument against a bill which has an entirely different purpose.

The point is moot; the bill passed and, if vetoed, the veto will be over-ridden.  And reasonable people can differ on this one I think.
We will differ, am afraid.

Symbolic, but this name has graced this mighty base since it was established in 1942.

Its name is after a military hero here in Texas, John Hood, who distinguished himself as the leader of the Texas Brigade.

Hundreds of families had to be moved from their homes and lands to accommodate a federal takeover of this property.

Why shouldn't the base be named after a Texas hero?  We are in the lands of the former Confederacy after all.

If this is the way this game will be played, we certainly need to remove the names of any military leaders of the Union that have bases named after them.

I will not have our history erased.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 12:34:29 am »
We will differ, am afraid.
Why shouldn't the base be named after a Texas hero?  We are in the lands of the former Confederacy after all.

I do not support re-naming Fort Hood.  Nor Forts Polk, nor Jackson, nor Lee, nor Hill, nor Bragg, nor Rucker, nor any others.  I am against the attempt to erase Confederate names from American history.

But I argue that the re-naming initiative we both oppose is not a reason for Representatives or Senators to vote against funding for national defense.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 12:45:10 am »
Cruz's vote on this bill is the least of our worries.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 12:47:48 am »
Cruz's vote on this bill is the least of our worries.

LOL, I certainly can't argue against that.