Author Topic: The push is on for a new round of COVID-19 stimulus payments  (Read 233 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
The push is on for a new round of COVID-19 stimulus payments
« on: December 08, 2020, 08:40:24 pm »
The push is on for a new round of COVID-19 stimulus payments

As Congress continues to work out another coronavirus relief bill, the possibility of another round of stimulus payments distributed directly to Americans remains open — but is by no means a sure thing.

The case for sending checks is straightforward: Millions and millions are struggling as the pandemic reaches its 10th month, with the federal government having essentially abandoned individual Americans. Moody’s Analytics projected that nearly 12 million renters will owe an average of $5,850 in back rent and utilities by January, as a federal eviction moratorium is set to expire, potentially leaving millions at risk of losing their homes. Hunger is rising, as census data found that one in eight Americans reported running short of food during a single week in November, and food banks were besieged in advance of the holidays. November’s job numbers were the worst since the recovery started, and small businesses around the country continue to shutter.

The CARES Act, passed in March, included expanded unemployment insurance (UI) payments of $600 per week on top of one-time $1,200 stimulus checks and actually caused poverty to fall, keeping Americans afloat during the economic downturn. However, the primary federal unemployment benefits ended in late July without an extension or replacement from Congress, as a $3 trillion plan passed by the Democratic House in May was not brought to the Senate floor for a vote. The package currently being negotiated by a small bipartisan group of moderate senators led by Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Mitt Romney, R-Utah, is expected to be around $900 billion.

Over the summer, resistance within the Republican Senate caucus due to the cost of the measure resulted in direct checks being stripped from proposed legislation. However, on Tuesday morning, Politico reported that McConnell was “softening” on payments. Later that day, the Washington Post reported that the White House was asking for $600 stimulus payments to be included in the deal...................

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-relief-bill-congress-stimulus-payments-negotiations-191717108.html
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.