Author Topic: (Updates)Texas Sues Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin at Supreme Court over Election Ru  (Read 17219 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
   Ken Paxton, the Texas AG that started all of this, will indubitably be pardoned in April when he's sentenced for being the corrupt sumbi1ch that he is.

YOU have been watching too much CNN @corbe
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

I don't watch TV News @Bigun but perhaps, as you suggest, I've been reading too much www.Texastribune.com
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
   I don't watch TV News @Bigun but perhaps, as you suggest, I've been reading too much www.Texastribune.com

:yowsa: That could well be it @corbe

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

And here's another reason the libs wish to take Paxton down

Texas AG Ken Paxton: State Antitrust Lawsuits Against Google Coming in ‘Weeks
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton recently stated that tech giant Google could face additional antitrust lawsuits from multiple states “in the upcoming weeks and months.”

Yahoo Finance reports that Google could be facing additional lawsuits from multiple states “in the upcoming weeks and months,” according to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton. Multiple states are reportedly examining antitrust concerns related to the company’s search monopoly. A 48-state probe of the company was launched in 2019.

During a panel discussion this week Paxton commented on the Google investigation as federal and state law enforcers in the U.S. grow increasingly interested in Google’s antitrust-related actions. Paxton joined the Justice Department and 10 other Republican state attorneys general in a major antitrust complaint filed against Google in October.

Paxton’s office is also reportedly probing Google’s dominance in the advertising market which may also result in litigation. Google is not the only tech giant facing antitrust scrutiny, 40 states led by New York is set to file an antitrust lawsuit against the social media platform Facebook.

Breitbart News recently reported that a group of 40 states led by New York have been investigating Facebook for possible antitrust violations and plans to file a lawsuit against the company, according to four sources.

Breitbart News reported earlier this week that authorities were preparing as many as four more cases targeting Google or Facebook by the end of January 2021

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/12/09/texas-ag-ken-paxton-state-antitrust-lawsuits-against-google-coming-in-weeks/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Some states conspicuous by their absence (at least so far):
Idaho
Wyoming
Iowa
Ohio (although I hear the attorney general there is thinkin' about it)
Kentucky (has a demo-commie governor, what about the attorney general?)
North Carolina (may have demo-commies in control)

Every state that "joins up" is further weight upon the Supreme Court.
This is Mr. Trump's "last stand".
I hope they make it a good one.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
And here's another reason the libs wish to take Paxton down

Texas AG Ken Paxton: State Antitrust Lawsuits Against Google Coming in ‘Weeks
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton recently stated that tech giant Google could face additional antitrust lawsuits from multiple states “in the upcoming weeks and months.”

Yahoo Finance reports that Google could be facing additional lawsuits from multiple states “in the upcoming weeks and months,” according to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton. Multiple states are reportedly examining antitrust concerns related to the company’s search monopoly. A 48-state probe of the company was launched in 2019.

During a panel discussion this week Paxton commented on the Google investigation as federal and state law enforcers in the U.S. grow increasingly interested in Google’s antitrust-related actions. Paxton joined the Justice Department and 10 other Republican state attorneys general in a major antitrust complaint filed against Google in October.

Paxton’s office is also reportedly probing Google’s dominance in the advertising market which may also result in litigation. Google is not the only tech giant facing antitrust scrutiny, 40 states led by New York is set to file an antitrust lawsuit against the social media platform Facebook.

Breitbart News recently reported that a group of 40 states led by New York have been investigating Facebook for possible antitrust violations and plans to file a lawsuit against the company, according to four sources.

Breitbart News reported earlier this week that authorities were preparing as many as four more cases targeting Google or Facebook by the end of January 2021

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/12/09/texas-ag-ken-paxton-state-antitrust-lawsuits-against-google-coming-in-weeks/

They wish to take Ken Paxton down because he does his damned job and doesn't pull any punches.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

OK folks, just putting this up for you to pick apart.

Let's suppose that the Supreme Court agrees to decide on the "Texas challenge".
They already seem to be receptive to it, as they have requested submissions by the four defendant states.

Consider:
It's not just Mr. Trump who stands to win or lose by this Court decision, it's the Supreme Court itself. After all, haven't a significant number of democrat-communists made noise to the effect that they're going to "pack" the Court with additional "justices", and as such ought to be taken at their word?

If I was one of the 5-member conservative majority on The Court, I'd consider this case not only from the viewpoint of protecting the Constitution, but as protecting the integrity of my own job, as well.

So...
Let's suppose even more, that the Court rules for Texas.
What next?

If the Court decides that the defendant states' elections were not Constitutionally conducted, and that as a result of same their [formerly chosen] electors are not valid, then the states will have to "re-select" electors in a manner as prescribed by the Constitution.

Short of conducting an entirely new election (which might again become suspect), that leaves them with the option of turning to the respective state legislatures to select a slate of electors.

It's an understatement to suggest that the Republican majorities of these legislatures will then fall under EXTREME pressure, to say the least.

What "choices" might they make?
I predict there may be at least two that no other member of this forum has considered.

So... here are what I see as the possible outcomes:
1. The legislatures could appoint a slate of electors for Mr. Trump. All of them.
2. The legislatures could "kick the can" and appoint a slate of electors for biden. It seems ridiculous that they might, considering that the U.S. Supreme Court itself had just ruled that the elections that selected electors for biden were "unconstitutional", but it would be their choice. And that "choice" would then comply with the requirements of the Constitution.
3. The legislatures could deadlock, and send NO electors. In this case, the Electoral College would vote without them.
And now the two possibilities no one else in the country has yet proposed:
4. The state legislatures, trying to find some way to assuage the 50% or so of voters who actually DID vote for biden, decide to "split the vote". In so doing, they would assign half of their electors to vote for biden, and the other half to vote for Mr. Trump. This "compromise" would be presented under the rationale that since the election was so close, their actions were being undertaken "as if it were a tie". The legislature would be entirely within their Constitutional duty to decide as such.
5. The state legislatures, again trying to arrive at a "Solomonic" decision, decide to assign electors in a manner similar to the pathways taken by Nebraska and Maine. That is, they will look to each congressional district in their state, and assign 1 elector to either Mr. Trump or Mr. biden in accordance with which man won in each district. The two remaining electors (representing Senators) would be awarded to the candidate that won the majority OF ELECTORS in that state.
Again, this would be entirely Constitutional and under the prerogative of each legislature to do, if they wanted. Again, a "Nebraska compromise" would take SOME of the pressure off the legislatures to make a decision that could be viewed as equitable to all the [legitimate] voters in the state.

So... there are numerous ways for the legislatures to "split the baby in half".
This assumes, of course, that events progress that far.

But if they do...
... and if you start hearing about legislatures "splitting the electors"...
... remember from whom you heard it first...!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 03:30:42 pm by Fishrrman »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
  #4 & #5.  If the Supreme Court rules for Texas, then the state legislators can't use any vote tallies to make their selection of electors since those tallies were made unconstitutionally.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
OK folks, just putting this up for you to pick apart.

Let's suppose that the Supreme Court agrees to decide on the "Texas challenge".
They already seem to be receptive to it, as they have requested submissions by the four defendant states.

Consider:
It's not just Mr. Trump who stands to win or lose by this Court decision, it's the Supreme Court itself. After all, haven't a significant number of democrat-communists made noise to the effect that they're going to "pack" the Court with additional "justices", and as such ought to be taken at their word?

If I was one of the 5-member conservative majority on The Court, I'd consider this case not only from the viewpoint of protecting the Constitution, but as protecting the integrity of my own job, as well.

So...
Let's suppose even more, that the Court rules for Texas.
What next?

If the Court decides that the defendant states' elections were not Constitutionally conducted, and that as a result of same their [formerly chosen] electors are not valid, then the states will have to "re-select" electors in a manner as prescribed by the Constitution.

Short of conducting an entirely new election (which might again become suspect), that leaves them with the option of turning to the respective state legislatures to select a slate of electors.

It's an understatement to suggest that the Republican majorities of these legislatures will then fall under EXTREME pressure, to say the least.

What "choices" might they make?
I predict there may be at least two that no other member of this forum has considered.

So... here are what I see as the possible outcomes:
1. The legislatures could appoint a slate of electors for Mr. Trump. All of them.
2. The legislatures could "kick the can" and appoint a slate of electors for biden. It seems ridiculous that they might, considering that the U.S. Supreme Court itself had just ruled that the elections that selected electors for biden were "unconstitutional", but it would be their choice. And that "choice" would then comply with the requirements of the Constitution.
3. The legislatures could deadlock, and send NO electors. In this case, the Electoral College would vote without them.
And now the two possibilities no one else in the country has yet proposed:
4. The state legislatures, trying to find some way to assuage the 50% or so of voters who actually DID vote for biden, decide to "split the vote". In so doing, they would assign half of their electors to vote for biden, and the other half to vote for Mr. Trump. This "compromise" would be presented under the rationale that since the election was so close, their actions were being undertaken "as if it were a tie". The legislature would be entirely within their Constitutional duty to decide as such.
5. The state legislatures, again trying to arrive at a "Solomonic" decision, decide to assign electors in a manner similar to the pathways taken by Nebraska and Maine. That is, they will look to each congressional district in their state, and assign 1 elector to either Mr. Trump or Mr. biden in accordance with which man won in each district. The two remaining electors (representing Senators) would be awarded to the candidate that won the majority OF ELECTORS in that state.
Again, this would be entirely Constitutional and under the prerogative of each legislature to do, if they wanted. Again, a "Nebraska compromise" would take SOME of the pressure off the legislatures to make a decision that could be viewed as equitable to all the [legitimate] voters in the state.

So... there are numerous ways for the legislatures to "split the baby in half".
This assumes, of course, that events progress that far.

But if they do...
... and if you start hearing about legislatures "splitting the electors"...
... remember from whom you heard it first...!

It is NOT the job of the court to solve the problem! It is the job of the court to rule on the facts and the law. 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

Bigun wrote:
"It is NOT the job of the court to solve the problem! It is the job of the court to rule on the facts and the law."

I never said it WAS, Bigun.
It will be up to the states.
That's what my post was about -- the options that will be available to the state legislatures.

However, part of "the problem" is the reality that if the democrat-communists win, they're going to "change" the Supreme Court. They're threatening to do this, and I take their threats at face value, which is -- seriously.

This must be weighing on the justices' minds, somewhat.
At least upon the minds of the conservative justices.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Ted Cruz Retweeted
CNN
@CNN

President Trump has personally asked Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas if he would argue a long-shot election lawsuit seeking to overturn the election results in four battleground states, should the Supreme Court agree to take it up, sources say

9:06 PM · Dec 9, 2020·SocialFlow

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1336854711920685058

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Ted Cruz Retweeted
CNN
@CNN

President Trump has personally asked Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas if he would argue a long-shot election lawsuit seeking to overturn the election results in four battleground states, should the Supreme Court agree to take it up, sources say

9:06 PM · Dec 9, 2020·SocialFlow

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1336854711920685058

Long shot my @$$  They know it is anything but!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Bigun wrote:
"It is NOT the job of the court to solve the problem! It is the job of the court to rule on the facts and the law."

That's what my post was about -- the options that will be available to the state legislatures.

However, part of "the problem" is the reality that if the democrat-communists win, they're going to "change" the Supreme Court. They're threatening to do this, and I take their threats at face value, which is -- seriously.

Ok! Then we are in agreement.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Bigun wrote:

I believe you mean it is up to an individual state (singular) to decide how to address its own state.

It is most certainly NOT up to all the states to decide what happens in an individual state.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

#4 & #5.  If the Supreme Court rules for Texas, then the state legislators can't use any vote tallies to make their selection of electors since those tallies were made unconstitutionally.
Correct.

Offline verga

Some states conspicuous by their absence (at least so far):
Idaho
Wyoming
Iowa
Ohio (although I hear the attorney general there is thinkin' about it)
Kentucky (has a demo-commie governor, what about the attorney general?)
North Carolina (may have demo-commies in control)

Every state that "joins up" is further weight upon the Supreme Court.
This is Mr. Trump's "last stand".
I hope they make it a good one.
Absolutely certain you won't see Californication, or Pissant liberal New York as long as the Cuomo crime family is running things.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Emerald Robinson
@EmeraldRobinson

Speaking of things that got rejected out of hand by Republicans: Jeb Bush!

Jeb Bush
@JebBush
thank you Senator Cornyn. there is no legal theory and the conservative majority Supreme Court will reject it out of hand.

6:30 AM · Dec 10, 2020·Twitter for iPad

https://twitter.com/EmeraldRobinson/status/1336996669439811587

Offline Fishrrman

Just a thought:

What the Supreme Court does in response to the "Texas challenge" will be as portentous to the future of the USA as was the Dred Scott decision in 1857.

I sense that the Justices realize this already.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Motion to Intervene filed by States of Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Utah!!!

Here:  https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/22/22O155/163322/20201210115500103_2020-12-10%20-%20Motion%20to%20Intervene%20and%20Proposed%20Bill%20of%20Complaint%20-%20Final%20With%20Tables.pdf

Interventions:  6 states and POTUS

Amicus Briefs:  18 states

@Bigun

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 07:38:18 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Motion to Intervene filed by States of Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Utah!!!!!!!

Here:  https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/22/22O155/163322/20201210115500103_2020-12-10%20-%20Motion%20to%20Intervene%20and%20Proposed%20Bill%20of%20Complaint%20-%20Final%20With%20Tables.pdf

Interventions:  6 states and POTUS

Amicus Briefs:  18 states

@Bigun

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Emerald Robinson
@EmeraldRobinson

Speaking of things that got rejected out of hand by Republicans: Jeb Bush!

6:30 AM · Dec 10, 2020·Twitter for iPad

https://twitter.com/EmeraldRobinson/status/1336996669439811587
He is brandishing an arrogance that is truly stupifying.

How did Florida ever accept this POS as governor?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Again though... their is no right to vote guaranteed by the Constitution. There are some prohibitions like discriminations based on sex etc.... but it has been basically decided by states for a while now. This is why felon voting has been decided by states all along.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Again though... their is no right to vote guaranteed by the Constitution. There are some prohibitions like discriminations based on sex etc.... but it has been basically decided by states for a while now. This is why felon voting has been decided by states all along.

The right to vote is not in the Constitution

The Conversation 8/26/20

https://theconversation.com/the-right-to-vote-is-not-in-the-constitution-144531

If you’re looking for the right to vote, you won’t find it in the United States Constitution or the Bill of Rights.

The Bill of Rights recognizes the core rights of citizens in a democracy, including freedom of religion, speech, press and assembly. It then recognizes several insurance policies against an abusive government that would attempt to limit these liberties: weapons; the privacy of houses and personal information; protections against false criminal prosecution or repressive civil trials; and limits on excessive punishments by the government.

But the framers of the Constitution never mentioned a right to vote. They didn’t forget – they intentionally left it out. To put it most simply, the founders didn’t trust ordinary citizens to endorse the rights of others.

They were creating a radical experiment in self-government paired with the protection of individual rights that are often resented by the majority. As a result, they did not lay out an inherent right to vote because they feared rule by the masses would mean the destruction of – not better protection for – all the other rights the Constitution and Bill of Rights uphold. Instead, they highlighted other core rights over the vote, creating a tension that remains today.

Relying on the elite to protect minority rights

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
So how does Texas have standing then?

Although The Right to Vote for "Individuals" is not listed in the Constitution, there IS specifications listed about State Legislature Votes.