Author Topic: The sickening reality of Florida’s medical malpractice laws  (Read 383 times)

Offline libertybele

The medical "community" and medical care in my area, has much to be desired and I don't find this at all surprising.  For our entire county of over 750,000 people -- we have 4 hospitals and they are all under the same umbrella and I personally know from experience it is next to impossible to get an honest second opinion around here.
The hospital that is mentioned in the article is one that even volunteers don't like to be at and I have known two people to go in for what would be considered routine surgeries and have died.  I also know a woman who went in to deliver a baby and and had to stay in the hospital for 2 months due to infections.

The sickening reality of Florida’s medical malpractice laws;;

It was his fifth marriage and her second, but they were together for more than 20 years. Karen Ballard gets emotional just saying her husband Tom’s name.

“He was the most amazing man and he was the love of my life,” she said.

Tom Ballard died in January, eight months after a surgery that was supposed to prolong his life. Ballard feels he’d still be alive it wasn’t for mistakes made by Dr. Donald Moyer, a neurosurgeon with privileges at Cape Coral Hospital.

Ballard said it all started in April 2019 when Tom fell and hit his head. Initially, doctors didn’t find anything wrong.

But in June, she said the left side of his face was drooping and he wasn’t able to walk. He was admitted to Cape Coral Hospital where doctors found a hematoma on the right side of his brain.

A week later, Dr. Donald Moyer, performed surgery to drain the blood from both sides of his brain.

Ballard said after the surgery Dr. Moyer came out and told her that he’d dropped part of Tom’s skull on the floor and had to replace it with an artificial skin flap. Tom initially healed from the surgery and within a month, and according to Ballard, he was even cleared to drive and to go on a cruise.

But then his wound started seeping fluid. She said Dr. Moyer examined Tom and told her he was “on the fence” about whether or not the area around the flap was infected. She said that’s where she feels Dr. Moyer made a fatal mistake by prescribing penicillin instead of opting to remove the infection right away.

The next day Tom had a seizure.

Ballard said doctors were still hesitant to operate on the infected area because Dr. Moyer was now out of town. A week later, she said a different doctor did surgery to remove the artificial flap and drain the infection..............

https://www.winknews.com/2020/11/25/the-sickening-reality-of-floridas-medical-malpractice-laws/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 12:28:55 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.