Author Topic: Republicans are winning over Asian immigrants like my father. Here's why  (Read 315 times)

rangerrebew

Republicans are winning over Asian immigrants like my father. Here's why
Geoffrey Mak

Most Asian American voters still lean Democratic, but that’s changing. The left shouldn’t take Asian support for granted

Thu 3 Dec 2020 06.26 EST
Last modified on Thu 3 Dec 2020 06.27 EST

My father is a Chinese immigrant, middle-class. Growing up, he and his family were often on the move, escaping conflict in Vietnam, then the Great Famine and the Cultural Revolution in China. During the reign of Chairman Mao, my father remembers schoolmates in Shanghai who were disappeared by the government. He had heard of dissidents who swam from mainland China to Hong Kong by night. Politically, he considered evangelicalism, anti-communism and democracy to be radical: the west. America captivated his imagination by way of Woodstock – Bob Dylan and Peter, Paul and Mary – and pictures of the magical big houses that sprawled the suburbs.

After he immigrated to the States in the 1970s, he eventually did get his big house in the suburbs, which today stands at the heart of California’s 39th congressional district, comprising parts of Los Angeles, San Bernardino and Orange county. It’s where the rapidly growing Asian American population was, in the last decade, heralded as the future of the Republican party. In November, the district flipped a House seat from Democrat to Republican. My father voted for Trump.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/03/republicans-are-winning-over-asian-immigrants-like-my-father-heres-why

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: Republicans are winning over Asian immigrants like my father. Here's why
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 04:22:00 pm »
The Dem Party advocates discrimination against East and South Asians almost as ardently as the Dems advocate discrimination against "whites". So rather than "laying back and enjoying it" Asians are starting to vote in self-defense.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Knox27

Re: Republicans are winning over Asian immigrants like my father. Here's why
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 04:36:21 pm »
A high achieving minority group runs counter to leftists notions so of course they shouldn't support them.  Why support people who think you shouldn't exist.