Author Topic: Jazz Standard, One Of New York's Top Clubs, Closes Due To Pandemic  (Read 369 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.npr.org/2020/12/02/941300811/jazz-standard-one-of-new-yorks-top-clubs-closes-due-to-pandemic

Jazz Standard, a perennial favorite New York City venue for musicians and fans alike, has shut its doors. It is the first major jazz club in the city to close permanently due to the coronavirus pandemic.

In an announcement Wednesday morning, the owners wrote: "We have explored every avenue to arrive at a different outcome, but due to the pandemic and months without revenue — as well as a lengthy rent negotiation that has come to a standstill — we've reached the disappointing conclusion that there is no alternative but to close Jazz Standard and Blue Smoke Flatiron. The current situation surrounding the pandemic, including the regulations for restaurants and live music, make it impossible to maintain our quality and continue to 'set the standard.'"

(excerpt, emphasis mine)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Jazz Standard, One Of New York's Top Clubs, Closes Due To Pandemic
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 04:46:36 am »
Permanent shutdowns: they begin.

This is what I and many others warned about: eventually there will be businesses that can't or won't come back.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Jazz Standard, One Of New York's Top Clubs, Closes Due To Pandemic
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 01:37:38 pm »
Permanent shutdowns: they begin.

This is what I and many others warned about: eventually there will be businesses that can't or won't come back.

@jmyrlefuller my sister works in Manhattan

She said parts of the city seem empty,  but she has hope. That said, she drives in and goes in one day a week and telecommutes the rest.

What bothers her is the restaurants. They are all dying, even the 5 star ones aren’t immune. She’s worried more about Hoboken’s restaurants frankly.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️