Author Topic: The Handgun Red-Dot Revolution  (Read 719 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Handgun Red-Dot Revolution
« on: December 03, 2020, 07:56:40 pm »
Shooting Illustrated by Tamara Keel - Wednesday, December 2, 2020

While the slide-mounted, red-dot sight has been around for a lot longer than most shooters probably realize, it has only really begun developing into a mature technology over the last few years.

Almost every service-pistol line now offers a variant machined to accept slide-mounted optics, and even pocket 9 mms are now available with an optics cut. It’s becoming more common in law-enforcement use. Here in my home city of Indianapolis, my sources tell me that the next academy class will be given the option of being issued MOS-series Glocks, and the SWAT team already uses dots on its handguns.

The thing is, we’re still relatively early in this revolution, and trainers and end users are still out there experimenting and innovating. Dot-specific Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (TTPs) are evolving fast and remain in a state of flux. New benefits are being discovered and explored and incorporated into training curricula all the time.

The standard benefits touted for the red-dot sight are well known: The ability to shoot accurately yet maintain target focus, generally increased precision at longer distances and (most often cited) the fact that they’re usable by people whose vision just isn’t up to maintaining a hard front-sight focus anymore.

But talking to instructors over the last several months, I’ve learned of even more benefits to the dot that I hadn’t considered.

It’s becoming more common for manufacturers to combine new product unveilings with a class by a trainer to introduce gunwriters to the benefits of the product, and the launch of the Trijicon RMRcc was no exception. The optics manufacturer brought in Scott Jedlinski of Modern Samurai Project to give a clinic on MRDS-equipped pistols.

More: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2020/12/2/the-handgun-red-dot-revolution

Offline rustynail

Re: The Handgun Red-Dot Revolution
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 08:58:42 pm »
Good article.  Thanks.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 09:51:47 pm »
I (used to) have a .45 S&W M&P with the side laser, and it was niiiice.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 10:00:54 pm »
I have a Docter red dot on my RIA GI 1911 and a laser on my Kel Tek P32.