Author Topic: Polar scientists wary of impending satellite gap  (Read 347 times)

rangerrebew

Polar scientists wary of impending satellite gap
« on: November 29, 2020, 04:45:40 pm »
Polar scientists wary of impending satellite gap
By Jonathan Amos
BBC Science Correspondent

28 November 2020 Science & Environment

There is going to be a gap of several years in our ability to measure the thickness of ice at the top and bottom of the world, scientists are warning.

The only two satellites dedicated to observing the poles are almost certain to die before replacements are flown.

This could leave us blind to some important changes in the Arctic and the Antarctic as the climate warms.

The researchers have raised their concerns with the European Commission and the European Space Agency.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-55109092

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Polar scientists wary of impending satellite gap
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 05:08:11 pm »
I think we should look at this from the military point of view. I mean, supposing the Russkies stashes away some big bomb, see. When they come out in a hundred years they could take over... In fact, they might even try an immediate sneak attack so they could take over our mineshaft space... I think it would be extremely naive of us, Mr. President, to imagine that these new developments are going to cause any change in Soviet expansionist policy. I mean, we must be... increasingly on the alert to prevent them from taking over other mineshaft space, in order to breed more prodigiously than we do, thus, knocking us out in superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow... a mine shaft gap!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 05:15:27 pm »
I think we should look at this from the military point of view. I mean, supposing the Russkies stashes away some big bomb, see. When they come out in a hundred years they could take over... In fact, they might even try an immediate sneak attack so they could take over our mineshaft space... I think it would be extremely naive of us, Mr. President, to imagine that these new developments are going to cause any change in Soviet expansionist policy. I mean, we must be... increasingly on the alert to prevent them from taking over other mineshaft space, in order to breed more prodigiously than we do, thus, knocking us out in superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow... a mine shaft gap!

That salad needs some dressing...

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 05:26:36 pm »
The skeptic in me suspects that the artic and antartic ice shelves are not thinning on a large or sustainable scale, and this is a convient way to sweep the issue under the rug by not having data.  We are constantly shooting up satellites, and this so called crisis, can't warrant a replacement? 

Envirowhackos are the last people on earth I trust.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 05:27:50 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 05:32:32 pm »
The skeptic in me suspects that the artic and antartic ice shelves are not thinning on a large or sustainable scale, and this is a convient way to sweep the issue under the rug by not having data.  We are constantly shooting up satellites, and this so called crisis, can't warrant a replacement? 

Envirowhackos are the last people on earth I trust.

Antarctica has only been getting colder...