Author Topic: Get Ready for Nationwide Blackouts under Biden  (Read 2823 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Get Ready for Nationwide Blackouts under Biden
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2020, 03:46:52 am »
Solar is a non-starter at this latitude, with the lowest sunlight period of 8 hours during the dead of winter, when energy is needed most. Considering the angle the sunlight hits the array is important as well, with the sun low on the horizon in winter, that means near vertical arrays (otherwise known in nautical terms as "sails"). A 'breezy' day here has 15 mph, a windy one upwards of 35 with gusts at 50+. just keeping that setup together would require sacrifice of efficiency or seriously strong and expensive mounts.
Wind has possibilities here, but again, there is sometimes too much of a 'good' thing. One turbine 'melting down' could start off a prairie fire that would burn off thousands of acres of prairie with the wrong conditions (dry, high biomass) and a strong wind. But we have oil, gas, and coal in abundance.

Most off-grid up in here are on generator supplementation though December and January... That is why I am increasing normal panels and batteries by a full third over what my neighbors here have. In theory, I could stow a full third of my system through most of the year, it being there mainly for winter alone. I am building it FOR those two months, having a massive overage most of the year.

Likewise the investment in batteries too - Though only a third of those are set to be LIRON off the get go...

Where I am being an idiot is in the 'flower' style array... And I know it. But if I am right, and if I can make it work, it will not only be self adjusting for optimal service, it will also be self protecting - I don't have to be there to have it fold itself up in windy conditions. nor will I have to keep it clear of snow, as it will fold up and deploy according to conditions... And each of the flowers is self contained, so once I get this figured out (IF I get it figured out) I can easily add or subtract units as needed.

As to it being able to deploy in wind, the whole thing is well casing and 1 1/2 square steel tubing... Al on bearings, so I can move it easily with my hand. So it can certainly take a breeze. And actuators are not going to have a problem.

But that's the tinker in me... Perhaps I can't make it work, and I have to go back to a rigid system that is susceptible to rain and snow, and fire and debris... one that I will have to go shovel off every time it snows. Forgive me the attempt and the eccentricity. I am a lazy bastard in the end.  :laugh:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2020, 04:32:28 am »
Most off-grid up in here are on generator supplementation though December and January... That is why I am increasing normal panels and batteries by a full third over what my neighbors here have. In theory, I could stow a full third of my system through most of the year, it being there mainly for winter alone. I am building it FOR those two months, having a massive overage most of the year.

Likewise the investment in batteries too - Though only a third of those are set to be LIRON off the get go...

Where I am being an idiot is in the 'flower' style array... And I know it. But if I am right, and if I can make it work, it will not only be self adjusting for optimal service, it will also be self protecting - I don't have to be there to have it fold itself up in windy conditions. nor will I have to keep it clear of snow, as it will fold up and deploy according to conditions... And each of the flowers is self contained, so once I get this figured out (IF I get it figured out) I can easily add or subtract units as needed.

As to it being able to deploy in wind, the whole thing is well casing and 1 1/2 square steel tubing... Al on bearings, so I can move it easily with my hand. So it can certainly take a breeze. And actuators are not going to have a problem.

But that's the tinker in me... Perhaps I can't make it work, and I have to go back to a rigid system that is susceptible to rain and snow, and fire and debris... one that I will have to go shovel off every time it snows. Forgive me the attempt and the eccentricity. I am a lazy bastard in the end.  :laugh:
If necessity is the mother of invention, Laziness is it's sire. I get you in making a system that is self protecting and robust. That isn't your average rooftop Chinese array, either. (My roof is oriented wrong to do that).
I have been thinking on tinkering with wind, but have to have a few more pizza dreams before I can concoct that one.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 04:33:33 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2020, 05:50:21 am »
If necessity is the mother of invention, Laziness is it's sire. I get you in making a system that is self protecting and robust. That isn't your average rooftop Chinese array, either. (My roof is oriented wrong to do that).
I have been thinking on tinkering with wind, but have to have a few more pizza dreams before I can concoct that one.

The whole thing is monkey-farting really as I already know the water turbine is going to be my main... There is easy 20 ft of drop in that waterfall, And I am sure I could fill a 10" casing with the flow without it even mattering to the falls... So I KNOW I can run one or even two turbines without any problem at all. And that is 24/7/365 all by itself. I could easy make do with the water turbines and a jenny in reserve.

I'm just messin with it.

As for wind, I have a weirdo thing in my head for that too... A substantial cylinder... say a foot and a half by ten feet with controllable spiral vanes... The more it blows, the lower the vanes get...  til at some point they are flat... Set that inside of another fixed cylinder, open to the wind in a long open slot, with an exhaust manifold in the back...  A wing on top to keep it facing into the wind... A brake that stops it if rpm goes crazy... I dunno. It's still on a bar napkin. But it would tend to work in the slightest breeze, and would tend to heal itself by nature in too much wind...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2020, 06:03:52 am »
The whole thing is monkey-farting really as I already know the water turbine is going to be my main... There is easy 20 ft of drop in that waterfall, And I am sure I could fill a 10" casing with the flow without it even mattering to the falls... So I KNOW I can run one or even two turbines without any problem at all. And that is 24/7/365 all by itself. I could easy make do with the water turbines and a jenny in reserve.

I'm just messin with it.

As for wind, I have a weirdo thing in my head for that too... A substantial cylinder... say a foot and a half by ten feet with controllable spiral vanes... The more it blows, the lower the vanes get...  til at some point they are flat... Set that inside of another fixed cylinder, open to the wind in a long open slot, with an exhaust manifold in the back...  A wing on top to keep it facing into the wind... A brake that stops it if rpm goes crazy... I dunno. It's still on a bar napkin. But it would tend to work in the slightest breeze, and would tend to heal itself by nature in too much wind...
I like that bar napkin idea, and am somewhere in that vein. Weights which move with the increase in centrifugal force could serve as a governor for the system by reducing the angle of attack of the vanes, and the added weight would only have a flywheel effect dampening gusts to prevent surges. Hmmmm...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2020, 07:21:43 am »
I like that bar napkin idea, and am somewhere in that vein. Weights which move with the increase in centrifugal force could serve as a governor for the system by reducing the angle of attack of the vanes, and the added weight would only have a flywheel effect dampening gusts to prevent surges. Hmmmm...

YEP...  happy77 :beer: