Author Topic: Justice Sotomayor Upbraids SCOTUS Majority for ‘Playing a Deadly Game’ With COVID Restrictions  (Read 980 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Justice Sotomayor Upbraids SCOTUS Majority for ‘Playing a Deadly Game’ With COVID Restrictions
Jerry Lambe Nov 26th, 2020, 2:59 pm

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor issued a stinging rebuke of her conservative colleagues, calling out what she perceived as hypocrisy and false equivalencies in Wednesday’s ruling against New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s COVID-19 restrictions.

In a 5-4 decision, the court’s conservative block of justices granted a temporary injunction requested by a Catholic Diocese and two Orthodox Jewish synagogues. By so doing, the court narrowly held that Cuomo’s regulations limiting attendance at religious services likely violated the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment. It was the court’s first major decision since the staunchly conservative Justice Amy Coney Barret joined the bench.

Sotomayor was having none of it.

“Justices of this Court play a deadly game in second guessing the expert judgment of health officials about the environments in which a contagious virus, now infecting a million Americans each week, spreads most easily,” the Barack Obama-appointed liberal justice wrote.

more
https://lawandcrime.com/covid-19-pandemic/justice-sotomayor-upbraids-scotus-majority-for-playing-a-deadly-game-with-covid-restrictions/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline rustynail

Old fat diabetic says what?

Offline PeteS in CA

From what I've read, the justices in the majority might have ruled otherwise had Cuomo's restrictions been less capricious and not obviously discriminatory against religious groups.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
So Justice Sotomayor thinks it OK for a local official to suspend the Constitution in a "Crisis"? 

Just goes to show how ignorant she is!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."

Apparently not, Sonia.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
So far so good with the Trump SC addition!. 

Of course being she is Catholic the "dogma" runs deep in her!

/Sarc
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
From what I've read, the justices in the majority might have ruled otherwise had Cuomo's restrictions been less capricious and not obviously discriminatory against religious groups.

Gorsuch pointed out the hypocrisy in closing places of worship while leaving Walmart and Home Depot open.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Gorsuch pointed out the hypocrisy in closing places of worship while leaving Walmart and Home Depot open.

Can anyone imagine what would happen in this country had the court said it was OK for his majesty to suspend the 1st amendment because there is a current "crisis" in the land?  I sure as hell can!  How long would it be before they manufactured a "crisis" that required suspension of the 2nd or any other you care to name?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Can anyone imagine what would happen in this country had the court said it was OK for his majesty to suspend the 1st amendment because there is a current "crisis" in the land?  I sure as hell can!  How long would it be before they manufactured a "crisis" that required suspension of the 2nd or any other you care to name?

It was discussed this morning on our local talk-radio station regarding the "Post-Sale tax of $200.00 on each and every lawfully owned AR-15 rifle, which would provide $34B to the federal coffer...additionally, a forced registration of said weapon which is a slippery slope no 2nd Amendment lover will ever embrace willingly.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

“Justices of this Court play a deadly game in second guessing the expert judgment of health officials about the environments in which a contagious virus, now infecting a million Americans each week, spreads most easily,” the Barack Obama-appointed liberal justice wrote.

Andy Grewal
@AndyGrewal

I can’t believe that SCOTUS is going to allow relatively small, socially distanced religious gatherings. This is the sort of dangerous behavior that thousands of us gathered in the streets to protest.

1:16 AM · Nov 26, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/AndyGrewal/status/1331844204750917632

« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 06:18:43 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Andy Grewal
@AndyGrewal

I can’t believe that SCOTUS is going to allow relatively small, socially distanced religious gatherings. This is the sort of dangerous behavior that thousands of us gathered in the streets to protest.

1:16 AM · Nov 26, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/AndyGrewal/status/1331844204750917632
What an ironic tweet
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I think it's supposed to be sarcastic.
Well, if people go rioting when a criminal kills himself from overdosing, just about anything is possible and we need to pay attention to it all.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington