Author Topic: MMR vaccine may protect against severe illness from COVID-19, study finds  (Read 367 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

MMR vaccine may protect against severe illness from COVID-19, study finds

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020/11/20/MMR-vaccine-may-protect-against-severe-illness-from-COVID-19-study-finds/7641605890132/

Nov. 20 (UPI) -- The measles, mumps and rubella vaccine appears to offer at least some protection against COVID-19, possibly preventing severe illness from the disease, a study published Friday by the online journal mBio found.

Among 41 people born in the United States who received the shot -- known as the MMR vaccine -- eight had immunity against the new coronavirus or had no symptoms after becoming infected, the researchers said.

This apparent immunity against severe COVID-19 may have been because of their high levels of antibodies -- or immune cells that fight off infection -- against the mumps, they said.

Seventeen people who received the MMR vaccine but had lower mumps antibody levels developed only mild COVID-19 symptoms, while those with the fewest mumps antibodies after vaccination suffered moderate illness or needed to be hospitalized for treatment.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline LadyLiberty

Re: MMR vaccine may protect against severe illness from COVID-19, study finds
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 02:39:32 am »
Hmm.  I got the MMR vaccine during the first quarter of 2019.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 04:36:54 am »
That might partially explain the higher rate of severe illness/death among older people, as the vaccines have been near-universal for decades now except for the most hardcore anti-vaxxers.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 02:12:53 pm »
That might partially explain the higher rate of severe illness/death among older people, as the vaccines have been near-universal for decades now except for the most hardcore anti-vaxxers.

Older people are not necessarily "anti-vaxxers".  I had the German Measles, Mumps, Chicken Pox, 3 day Measles.  No vaccine was required  for me.  Shouldn't the same antibodies be in the system of those that have had these illnesses?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 02:46:18 pm »
Older people are not necessarily "anti-vaxxers".  I had the German Measles, Mumps, Chicken Pox, 3 day Measles.  No vaccine was required  for me.  Shouldn't the same antibodies be in the system of those that have had these illnesses?
Not so much that as it wasn't mandatory for most older adults the way it was for subsequent generations.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 03:36:43 pm »
I suspect the effect is indirect, those who received the MMR are more resistant because their immune systems have been stimulated, generally. Whether those who have had and recovered from mumps have similar resistance is a worthwhile question but it may not get attention until the world builds up herd immunity and gets out of react mode.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 05:55:14 pm »
Hmm.  I got the MMR vaccine during the first quarter of 2019.
My doctor told me last year when we were being told getting re-vaccinated for MMR was advisable by the 'experts' that those vaccinated back in the early fifties didn't need to because of the type of vaccine used. He sent me to have blood work which included testing to see if I was still protected and it came back affirmative. I see no reason to go ask for a new MMR vaccination, I just had my second Shingles Vaccination and that left me with a very sore arm and couple of days feeling sick as a dog.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 06:05:59 pm »
My doctor told me last year when we were being told getting re-vaccinated for MMR was advisable by the 'experts' that those vaccinated back in the early fifties didn't need to because of the type of vaccine used. He sent me to have blood work which included testing to see if I was still protected and it came back affirmative. I see no reason to go ask for a new MMR vaccination, I just had my second Shingles Vaccination and that left me with a very sore arm and couple of days feeling sick as a dog.

My GP has been pushing me for 2 years to get the shingles Vax.  He writes a script every time and tells me to go to CVS and get the shot.  I nod and before I leave his office I throw it in the trash as I exit.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.