Author Topic: Ancient Indians survived drought by mining ice in caves  (Read 750 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Ancient Indians survived drought by mining ice in caves
« on: November 20, 2020, 01:50:33 pm »
Earth Chronicles November 20, 2020

American archaeologists have found that ancient Indians living in the southwestern United States coped with water shortages during droughts by melting ice that has been preserved in alpine caves and lava tubes since the Ice Age. This was announced on Wednesday by the press service of the University of South Florida in Tampa (USA) with reference to an article in Scientific Reports.

“I studied many lava tubes, but Cave 29 immediately caught my attention because of the huge amount of coal that covered the floor in the back of the cave. I immediately found it interesting, but we discovered the connection between these traces of fire and that that the Indians extracted water here only after they found traces of ash inside the ice deposits themselves, “said Bogdan Onak, a professor at the University of South Florida, quoted by the university’s press service.

The culture of the Pueblo Indians is considered one of the oldest civilizations in North America. It arose about 3 thousand years ago and its representatives switched to a sedentary lifestyle around the first millennium BC, which radically distinguishes the pueblo from other North American Indians.

Their settlements gradually grew in size and were comparable in scale to large European cities by the time Columbus arrived in the New World. By this time, in the valley of the Rio Grande there were several hundred settlements, some of which were small villages, while others were fairly large cities with several thousand inhabitants.

More: https://earth-chronicles.com/science/ancient-indians-survived-drought-by-mining-ice-in-caves.html