Author Topic: These were the terrifying dangers of being a ‘Tunnel Rat’ in Vietnam  (Read 257 times)

rangerrebew

These were the terrifying dangers of being a ‘Tunnel Rat’ in Vietnam

Tim Kirkpatrick
Posted On October 20, 2020 18:02:11

If fighting the well-defended Viet Cong on their home turf wasn’t dangerous enough, imagine having to crawl your way through a series of extremely tight and narrow underground tunnels to capture or kill them.

Armed with only a flashlight, a single pistol, or maybe just a knife, a “Tunnel Rat” didn’t have much in the way of defense.

These were the terrifying dangers of being a ‘Tunnel Rat’ in Vietnam

“The most dangerous part would be psyching up to get into the tunnel,” Carl Cory says, a former 25th Infantry Div Tunnel Rat. “That was the part that was most frightening because you didn’t what you were getting into.”

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-history/these-were-the-terrifying-dangers-of-being-a-tunnel-rat-in-vietnam/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:13:27 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
NOT a job for anyone even the tiniest bit claustrophobic.

I can't even begin to think of a set of circumstances that would convince ME to do that.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Axeslinger

@sneakypete
I’ve always wondered...why didn’t we just C4 it or flamethrower it and not bother going in?  Honest question.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

rangerrebew

I can't even begin to think of a set of circumstances that would convince ME to do that.

I wouldn't have hesitated - if I were already dead.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete
I’ve always wondered...why didn’t we just C4 it or flamethrower it and not bother going in?  Honest question.

@Axeslingerer

Because you never knew what was in the tunnel,or how big it was inside,until you went in. There were who hospitals build inside mountains,as well as supply depots.

There might be an enemy area command inside,and the documents and maps you could retrieve would be almost beyond value.

Not to mention captured US POW's.

Something like a flamethrower burst would have about as much effect as lighting a match in a football stadium.

You might think you have done something and move on,only to have the enemy emerging from the tunnel and coming at you from behind.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!