Author Topic: Pennsylvania: Legal Updates  (Read 40193 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Pennsylvania: Legal Updates
« Reply #275 on: August 02, 2022, 08:39:08 pm »
I'm afraid I'm no expert on the PA constitution, @Bigun - just a former resident.

And a recovering lawyer IIRC. @mountaineer
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #276 on: August 02, 2022, 10:47:28 pm »
Pennsylvania Supreme Court upholds state's no-excuses mail-in ballot law in blow to GOP

Democrat justices concluded nothing in state constitution prohibits widespread use of absentee ballots, reversing lower court.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled Tuesday the 2019 law expanding the state's mail-in voting was constitutional, overruling Republicans who argued no-excuse absentee voting should be outlawed.

@Bigun

Just out of curiosity,WHO made this seem like it is suddenly a good idea,after all the decades of not allowing it.

BTW,just because something isn't explicitly legal doesn't mean it is a good idea. If it had been a good idea,our Founding Fathers,who NO sane person can suggest were not a HELL of a lot smarter AND more honest that the creatures we now have in government,would have agreed to this back in the 1776,when it was a HELL of a lot harder for voters to get to the polls than it is today.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #277 on: August 02, 2022, 10:51:11 pm »
@Bigun

Just out of curiosity,WHO made this seem like it is suddenly a good idea,after all the decades of not allowing it.

BTW,just because something isn't explicitly legal doesn't mean it is a good idea. If it had been a good idea,our Founding Fathers,who NO sane person can suggest were not a HELL of a lot smarter AND more honest that the creatures we now have in government,would have agreed to this back in the 1776,when it was a HELL of a lot harder for voters to get to the polls than it is today.

Can't cheat if you can't create phantom votes! @sneakypete

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #278 on: August 02, 2022, 11:34:11 pm »
So, now we know which way PA will go in the upcoming elections. 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #279 on: August 02, 2022, 11:35:39 pm »
So, now we know which way PA will go in the upcoming elections.
Elections in the two major cities in PA - both Democrat, of course - have always been corrupt.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #280 on: August 02, 2022, 11:41:50 pm »
@Bigun

In line with the US Constitution, if those powers were not expressly delegated to the Federal Government, it did not have them (they were reserved to the States and the People).

If it didn't say it could, then it couldn't. That was clarified in The Bill of Rights, and later muddled by the courts as often as clarified further.

Perhaps the problem arises from the concept that people could show up in person and vote more cheaply than posting a vote in the mail of the day, so mail in voting was never even considered, any more than voting online.

I would not think that that would automatically give the State the authority to suck up that bit of power. I find the court's argument weak.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:42:45 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #281 on: August 03, 2022, 01:00:52 am »
In line with the US Constitution, if those powers were not expressly delegated to the Federal Government, it did not have them (they were reserved to the States and the People).

If it didn't say it could, then it couldn't. That was clarified in The Bill of Rights, and later muddled by the courts as often as clarified further.

Perhaps the problem arises from the concept that people could show up in person and vote more cheaply than posting a vote in the mail of the day, so mail in voting was never even considered, any more than voting online.

I would not think that that would automatically give the State the authority to suck up that bit of power. I find the court's argument weak.

The Constitution very plainly says that members of congress shall be selected by methods created by the legislatures of the individual states. Doesn't say a damned word about judges, courts, governors, or secretaries of state.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #282 on: August 03, 2022, 01:40:54 am »
The Constitution very plainly says that members of congress shall be selected by methods created by the legislatures of the individual states. Doesn't say a damned word about judges, courts, governors, or secretaries of state.
Precisely. Anything else is Unconstitutional and should be void--or avoided.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis