Author Topic: The Value of Values: Guiding the Air Force through “Accelerated Change”  (Read 135 times)

rangerrebew

The Value of Values: Guiding the Air Force through “Accelerated Change”

Ryan Sanford | 11.16.20

“Focus on the horizon, not the centerline,” my instructor exhorted as I pushed up the throttle to begin my very first takeoff roll. Every pilot has likely heard this advice to perfect a takeoff or landing roll. Of course, t­he instructor expected me to stay on the centerline, which to my beginner’s mind seemed naturally to require staring at the centerline before us. However, as she knew and I would learn, focusing on the runway centerline invites pilot-induced oscillations. These oscillations result from the pilot’s attempt to maintain tight control since going off the runway generally carries severe consequences. For the beginner, small changes in the environment (e.g., a wind gust) can induce overly aggressive and responsive control inputs. The key is to make smooth inputs to avoid overcorrecting when small deviations from the centerline occur. Focusing on the horizon helps.

The pursuit of strategy tempts a similar focus on the centerline. Present perturbations in the current environment can push a nation off the intended path’s centerline. However, the country must focus its gaze upon the horizon—a focal point composed of national values and principles that act to orient national strategy—to attain an enduring strategic advantage.

https://mwi.usma.edu/the-value-of-values-guiding-the-air-force-through-accelerated-change/