Author Topic: Medal of Honor Monday: The Sailors Who Saved USS Lehigh  (Read 539 times)

rangerrebew

Medal of Honor Monday: The Sailors Who Saved USS Lehigh
« on: November 18, 2020, 11:20:38 am »
 Medal of Honor Monday: The Sailors Who Saved USS Lehigh
Nov. 16, 2020 | BY Katie Lange , DOD News

This week we're honoring not one, but five Civil War sailors who helped free their grounded warship during the Battle of Charleston Harbor in South Carolina in 1863. Gunner's Mate George Leland, Coxswain Thomas Irving, Seaman Horatio Young, Landsman William Williams and Landsman Frank Gile all played an integral role in the mission. For their efforts, they earned the newly created Medal of Honor.

On Nov. 16, 1863, all five men were serving on the USS Lehigh, a Union monitor ship that came to the aid of soldiers on Morris Island, South Carolina. The soldiers were being fired on from long range by Confederate troops at Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island near Charleston, South Carolina.

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Features/Story/Article/2411722/medal-of-honor-monday-the-sailors-who-saved-uss-lehigh/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Medal of Honor Monday: The Sailors Who Saved USS Lehigh
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 03:04:43 pm »
Landsman William Williams and Landsman Frank Gile

I may be wrong,but I believe those "Landsmen" would be identified today as "US Marines".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Medal of Honor Monday: The Sailors Who Saved USS Lehigh
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 03:33:42 pm »
I may be wrong,but I believe those "Landsmen" would be identified today as "US Marines".
Could be. US Marines and former Marines (CSMC) fought it out at Drewry's Bluff, although the US Marines never made it off the Galena.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis