General Category > Weather

Strong La Niña Is Possible This Winter. Here's What That May Mean for the United States

<< < (2/3) > >>

jmyrlefuller:
El Niño/La Niña is perhaps the best-known of the "teleconnections," long-term setups in sea surface temperatures and atmospheric pressure patterns that meteorologists try to use to predict long-term weather trends, to middling success.

If you ask me, it's overrated—at least within the context of weather that affects the United States. One to watch is the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO), which I've found tends to have a more direct impact on weather in North America.

SZonian:
Your context disclaimer notwithstanding, El Niño/La Niña are not "overrated" for CA and they hit different parts of CA pretty hard...so pardon my disposition on this since I'm still stuck in CA. wink777

Some winters are dry and nice and others are cold ass flooding nightmares...thanks to Mother Gaia... :whistle:

And just because...some new AC/DC "Through the mists of time", killer rock and roll from the metal masters...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpMVBqSWbsA

Cyber Liberty:

--- Quote from: jmyrlefuller on November 16, 2020, 03:24:18 am ---El Niño/La Niña is perhaps the best-known of the "teleconnections," long-term setups in sea surface temperatures and atmospheric pressure patterns that meteorologists try to use to predict long-term weather trends, to middling success.

If you ask me, it's overrated—at least within the context of weather that affects the United States. One to watch is the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO), which I've found tends to have a more direct impact on weather in North America.

--- End quote ---

It's a little different here in the far West.  Tropical storms and Hurricanes come up Baja California into SoCal and AZ, and the jet streams can sweep far enough south to freeze the cactus.  And we do care about Nina/Nino patterns.  We just haven't had any recently.   :shrug:

roamer_1:
It means wet and warm here... lots of rain and thaw... We get the warm moisture on its way up... a mild winter. East of the Rockies and especially the eastern seaboard get that frozen moisture on the way back down, and will have hell to pay.

Cyber Liberty:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on November 16, 2020, 05:20:34 am ---It means wet and warm here... lots of rain and thaw... We get the warm moisture on its way up... a mild winter. East of the Rockies and especially the eastern seaboard get that frozen moisture on the way back down, and will have hell to pay.

--- End quote ---

My loss is your gain..... 22222frying pan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version