Author Topic: Battle of Ia Drang Valley, first major battle of the Vietnam War, began 55 years ago  (Read 1262 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by  Ryan Morgan  November 14, 2020

The Battle of Ia Drang Valley in Vietnam began on November 14, 1965, and saw around 1,000 U.S. Army soldiers of the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) fight for four days with about 2,500 North Vietnamese troops.

The four days of fighting formed what became the first major battle between U.S. and North Vietnamese forces of the Vietnam War. The battle consisted of two engagements in the valley, with the first taking place between Nov. 14 to 16, with members of the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry, led by Lt. Col Hal Moore and the second engagement taking place on Nov. 17 with members of the 2nd Battalion, 7th Cavalry, led by Lt. Col Robert McDade.

According to a U.S. Army history, the battle of Ia Drang came after three enemy Vietnamese regiments totaling 6,000 men attacked a Civil Irregular Defense Group (CIDG) – U.S. Special Forces at Plei Me near the entrance to the Ia Drang Valley, in what the Army described as North Vietnam’s initial effort to cut the country in half.

Moore wrote about the fighting at LZ X-RAY, along with war journalist Joseph L. Galloway, in their book “We Were Soldiers Once . . . And Young.” Their book was later adapted into the 2002 film, “We Were Soldiers,” with Mel Gibson playing Moore and actor Barry Pepper playing Galloway.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/11/battle-of-ia-drang-valley-first-major-battle-of-the-vietnam-war-began-55-years-ago/

Offline skeeter

I wonder how Aloha Ronnie is doing these days.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

He's dead @skeeter Got killed on 9/11 after getting many people out of one of those buildings.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

He's dead @skeeter Got killed on 9/11 after getting many people out of one of those buildings.
You’re thinking of Rick Rescorla who was on the cover of Galloways book. Aloha Ronnie was a freeper who always posted on the Ia Drang threads.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
You’re thinking of Rick Rescorla who was on the cover of Galloways book. Aloha Ronnie was a freeper who always posted on the Ia Drang threads.

Yep!  I stand corrected.  Rick was Hal Moore's radioman IIRC.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@skeeter

Good question!

I had forgotten all about him until your post,and IIRC,he was a 17 year old private and radio operator on his first combat operation.

That was a hell of a gunfight to be "breaking your cherry" on.

I hope he is doing well.

I believe Hal Moore died a few years ago.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 07:13:49 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Bigun

SERIOUSLY???

That flat sucks all the air out of my universe. I need to sign off before I say a BUNCH of stuff deeply offensive to the religious cult members here.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@skeeter

Thank you for that correction.

For some reason even I don't understand,I always considered Aloha Ronnie to be my little brother,even though I never met him and don't know a thing about him not related to that day in VN.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@skeeter  @Bigun

Aloha Ronnie was still alive and well,and posting on twitter on 15 Oct.

Got curious and did a web search.

Offline skeeter

Good to hear. Someone ought to pull him on over here.

Now maybe you can find A+Bert

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@skeeter  @Bigun

Aloha Ronnie was still alive and well,and posting on twitter on 15 Oct.

Got curious and did a web search.

If you are talking about this guy https://twitter.com/aloharonnie I'm pretty sure that isn't our guy. @sneakypete @skeeter

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If you are talking about this guy https://twitter.com/aloharonnie I'm pretty sure that isn't our guy. @sneakypete @skeeter

@Bigun

LOL! Yeah,I'm guessing it is a different Aloha Ronnie.

You should sign up for that guy's news list,though. With your screen name,you would be a big hit!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@Bigun   @skeeter

https://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1019769/posts

..A Freeper Vet goes to the Vietnam Wall..
"ALOHA RONNIE" Guyer

Ok,try this one.

Offline skeeter

@Bigun   @skeeter

https://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1019769/posts

..A Freeper Vet goes to the Vietnam Wall..
"ALOHA RONNIE" Guyer

Ok,try this one.
i think that was his last name.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
i think that was his last name.

TOS seems to be down if you can believe that! LOL!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
TOS seems to be down if you can believe that! LOL!

@Bigun

It was down the first time I went there looking for ronnie,and that's why I went to the web.

Then it was back up again when I found the link.

Guess is "Grift-a-thon!" time again.

Offline Hoodat

I take it they never heard of Dien Bien Phu.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Looks like Ronnie was still posting at TOS as o May of this year.

https://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1520466/posts?page=39#39

@sneakypete @skeeter

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

@Bigun

It was down the first time I went there looking for ronnie,and that's why I went to the web.

Its a sweet gig, y'gotta admit.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I always wondered how much they actually bring in.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
@Bigun

It looks like they're moving to a new server.

Hugh and BIGLY Series: Free Republic will be down all night tonight for migration. Will be going down at 8:00 pm (Pacific) and should be up again within about 12 hours.
Nov 14, 2020 | by Jim Robinson

Posted on 11/14/2020, 7:56:16 PM by Jim Robinson

Free Republic will be down all night tonight for migration. Will be going down at 8:00 pm (Pacific) and should up again within about 12 hours.

Sorry, can't be helped. We received notice from our provider that they were closing their San Jose data center on May 15, 2021 and that we could move our equipment to their new center when it's ready.

We thought we'd have months to prepare, but they recently moved the deadline up to Nov 15 (tomorrow).

John scrambled and has a new home set up for us and is going to get a clean backup tonight and install it at our new location. Should be up and running by morning. Our IP address will be new, but hopefully everything else will remain the same.

Btw, the only backup site we have at this time is free republic on facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/26012226159 ) and its days are numbered. They're busily pulling many of our posts daily now and I think they're getting ready to pull our plug.

I'll past progress messages on our home page ( https://freerepublic.com/home.htm ) from time to time tonight as long as the server at our old location is up.

Then, hopefully, we'll be on the new.

Prayers up.