Author Topic: Iota expected to strike Central America as a major hurricane  (Read 1057 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Iota expected to strike Central America as a major hurricane
« on: November 14, 2020, 01:11:36 pm »
The Watchers by Teo Blašković on November 14, 2020

Tropical Storm "Iota" formed in the Central Caribbean at 21:00 UTC on November 13, 2020, as the 30th named storm of the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season. Iota is expected to strengthen into a major hurricane before it makes landfall in Central America. The same region that saw major floods and landslides caused by Hurricane "Eta" -- in which nearly 300 people lost their lives -- will experience another round of heavy rain and strong winds. Landfall is expected early Tuesday, November 17. The time to prepare is now.

"2020 continues to add to the Atlantic named storm record," Dr. Philip Klotzbach, a meteorologist at the CSU, said. "The old Atlantic single-season named storm record was 28 named storms set in 2005."

"2020 is now tied with 1931, 1961, 2001 and 2005 for the most Atlantic named storm on record to form in November."

Iota is also the 5th Caribbean named storm formation since October 1, along with Gamma, Delta, Zeta, and Eta.

More: https://watchers.news/2020/11/14/iota-central-america-forecast-november-2020/

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Iota expected to strike Central America as a major hurricane
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 02:34:49 pm »
What happened to Theta?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 02:48:24 pm »
What happened to Theta?

Who cares? Well maybe Portugal. It's still off the coast of Africa.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 04:25:19 pm »
Who cares? Well maybe Portugal. It's still off the coast of Africa.

The article states that they started with the Greek alphabet after the first series of names were exhausted, and also said "Iota is also the 5th Caribbean named storm formation since October 1, along with Gamma, Delta, Zeta, and Eta."

The next was supposed to be "Theta."  Maybe your theory about it being way out to sea is the reason.

ETA:  That's exactly the reason.  Theta is off the African coast, heading toward Portugal.  I should not have doubted you.....
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 04:27:45 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 04:30:25 pm »
The article states that they started with the Greek alphabet after the first series of names were exhausted, and also said "Iota is also the 5th Caribbean named storm formation since October 1, along with Gamma, Delta, Zeta, and Eta."

The next was supposed to be "Theta."  Maybe your theory about it being way out to sea is the reason.

ETA:  That's exactly the reason.  Theta is off the African coast, heading toward Portugal.  I should not have doubted you.....

You just missed it. It was named 4 days ago.

Subtropical Storm THETA

ZCZC MIATCMAT5 ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

SUBTROPICAL STORM THETA FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER   1
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       AL302020
0300 UTC TUE NOV 10 2020

THERE ARE NO COASTAL WATCHES OR WARNINGS IN EFFECT.

SUBTROPICAL STORM CENTER LOCATED NEAR 28.8N  40.3W AT 10/0300Z
POSITION ACCURATE WITHIN  40 NM

PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE EAST OR  90 DEGREES AT  13 KT

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 04:50:33 pm »
Storms that don't threaten N America aren't "newsworthy."   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 06:40:18 pm »
Storms that don't threaten N America aren't "newsworthy."   :shrug:

So many big storms spawn right off the coast of Africa and cross the Atlantic to jack with us. Having spent all my life within 40 miles of the coast, except some Navy time at Great Lakes, I take note of them all. Even some of those Pacific storms, just have to pester us in Texas too. I can't remember now how many hurricanes I've gone thru now, with Carla being the first. There just have been so many. Going thru 50+ ft seas during a storm is not something you soon forget. Well, to be honest, those 50 foot seas I was in wasn't even a hurricane, it was just a gale. We were responding to a Mayday. A jackup rig was being towed when they were caught by the storm. The crew bailed out in 2 "Tangerines" and we were going to try and rescue them.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:22:55 am by Elderberry »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 01:00:33 am »
Iota becomes Category 2 hurricane, heads for already battered Central America

7 News Miami 11/15/2020

https://wsvn.com/news/us-world/iota-becomes-category-2-hurricane-heads-for-already-battered-central-america/

MANAGUA, Nicaragua (AP) — Iota rapidly gained strength after becoming the 13th hurricane of the Atlantic season Sunday, threatening to bring more dangerous winds and rains to Nicaragua and Honduras — countries recently clobbered by Category 4 Hurricane Eta.

Nicaragua’s government said authorities had begun evacuating some people near the country’s border with Honduras, an area that forecasts said likely would be in Iota’s path.

Hurricane #Iota Advisory 10A: Iota Strengthens to a Category 2 Hurricane. Expected to Bring Potentially Catastrophic Winds, Life- Threatening Storm Surge, and Extreme Rainfall Impacts To Central America. https://t.co/VqHn0u1vgc

— National Hurricane Center (@NHC_Atlantic) November 15, 2020

Iota became a Category 2 hurricane late Sunday afternoon, and the U.S. National Hurricane Center warned it would likely be an extremely dangerous Category 4 storm when it approached the Central America mainland late Monday.

It was already a record-breaking system, being the 30th named storm of this year’s extraordinarily busy Atlantic hurricane season. Such activity has focused attention on climate change, which scientists say is causing wetter, stronger and more destructive storms.

The hurricane center said Iota had maximum sustained winds of 100 mph (155 kph) early Sunday evening. It was centered about 110 miles (175 kilometers) east of Isla de Providencia, Colombia, and was moving westward at 9 mph (15 kph). Forecasters said Iota was expected to pass or cross over Providencia late Sunday or early Monday and then approach the coasts of Nicaragua and Honduras on Monday night.

More at link.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 09:24:30 pm »
Iota forecast to make landfall as a Cat 5 hurricane

ABC13 11/16/2020

https://abc13.com/weather/iota-becomes-a-category-5-hurricane/6134994/

Iota becomes a Category 5 hurricane as it nears the northeast coast of Nicaragua. Iota will make landfall around the Nicaragua/Honduras border this evening. Unfortunately, these are the same areas that are still cleaning up after Eta delivered 40" of rain earlier this month.

This system has the potential to produce 20 to 30 inches of rain primarily across northern Nicaragua and Honduras. This system will not have any impacts on Texas.

Hurricane season officially ends on the last day of November.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 09:36:35 pm »
OMG!  They got a direct hit from Eta, didn't they?
I will NOT comply.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 09:41:06 pm »
At 919 Mb, Iota is the 7th strongest recorded intensity hurricane in history. 

Only behind

1. Labor Day Storm of 1935- 892 Mb
2. Camille 900 Mb in 1969
3. Gilbert 900 Mb in 1988
4. Dean 905 Mb- in 2007
5. Janet 914 Mb in 1955
6. Irma- 914Mb in 2017

& 160 mph winds?  God help anyone who didn't leave the coast in its path.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 09:42:53 pm »
At 919 Mb, Iota is the 7th strongest recorded intensity hurricane in history. 

Only behind

1. Labor Day Storm of 1935- 892 Mb
2. Camille 900 Mb in 1969
3. Gilbert 900 Mb in 1988
4. Dean 905 Mb- in 2007
5. Janet 914 Mb in 1955
6. Irma- 914Mb in 2017

& 160 mph winds?  God help anyone who didn't leave the coast in its path.

That region of Central America is still hip-deep in the wreckage from a week or two ago. **nononono*
I will NOT comply.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 09:50:26 pm »
That region of Central America is still hip-deep in the wreckage from a week or two ago. **nononono*

I know.  What is absolutely mind boggling, that is even with the slow movement (<10 mph) and steep terrain of Nicaragua and Honduras, this storm is still expected to maintain T.S. force as enters the Pacific.  A cat 4 and a historic Cat 5 within a few weeks?  We will be seeing terrible  human suffering and tragedy in the days to come. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 09:53:20 pm »
Is there just one Iota?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 09:56:16 pm »
Is there just one Iota?

...it's very small.
I will NOT comply.