Author Topic: From Painfully Slow to Lightning Fast: SpaceX's Starlink Makes Rural Internet Usable  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Blutarsky

• Please help trapped under Area 51
    • The vaccine is ready for the gullible drones
Your ignorance is showing.

Nope, wolves do not belong in captivity.  And the ranchers who stole the wolves land should be moved

Wolves are also not dogs, though dogs are descended from wolves
Trust no one.....................

Online roamer_1

Nope, wolves do not belong in captivity.  And the ranchers who stole the wolves land should be moved

Wolves are also not dogs, though dogs are descended from wolves

Riiiight.. Just stay down there in the city. And quit telling folks how to live, when you don't know a damn thing about it.

Offline Blutarsky

Riiiight.. Just stay down there in the city. And quit telling folks how to live, when you don't know a damn thing about it.
When I had my camaro I drove thru Montana, and Idaho too.  One place I think it was more Southern New Mexico perhaps after I popped my cassette out of the radio the radio went fuzzy and I assumed that the tuner went.  As it turned out there was only one station on the dial that was tunable.  Sorry but you can keep that 

Online roamer_1

When I had my camaro I drove thru Montana, and Idaho too.  One place I think it was more Southern New Mexico perhaps after I popped my cassette out of the radio the radio went fuzzy and I assumed that the tuner went.  As it turned out there was only one station on the dial that was tunable.  Sorry but you can keep that

Suits me fine... And when you are standing in a soup line pretty soon because you won't have no other way, I'll just be up here with the wolves, With half an elk, half a beef, and a couple deer in the freezer, and chickens and a milk cow in the yard, and a big ol sack of seeds. Then we'll see how your modernity grabs you.

Offline Blutarsky

Suits me fine... And when you are standing in a soup line pretty soon because you won't have no other way, I'll just be up here with the wolves, With half an elk, half a beef, and a couple deer in the freezer, and chickens and a milk cow in the yard, and a big ol sack of seeds. Then we'll see how your modernity grabs you.

LOL might be true but I bought more Apple than Forest, not to mention Google, Netflix and several hundred others, thousands if funds are added. 

No hard feelings, my pepper steak has to come from somewhere

Online roamer_1

LOL might be true but I bought more Apple than Forest, not to mention Google, Netflix and several hundred others, thousands if funds are added. 

No hard feelings, my pepper steak has to come from somewhere

What goes up comes down. Knock yourself out. Been there done that, decided I didn't like the t-shirt.
And you must not like that steak very much if you want ranch lands given over to wolves... Typically disjointed city thinking.

Offline Blutarsky

What goes up comes down. Knock yourself out. Been there done that, decided I didn't like the t-shirt.
And you must not like that steak very much if you want ranch lands given over to wolves... Typically disjointed city thinking.

Texas makes all the steak I need.  Actually I cut down on red meat anyway, then upped the broccoli and Brussel sprouts

So did you chop the head off of your turkey yet?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 12:50:47 pm by Blutarsky »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Rural DSL speeds are generally between 128 Kbps – 3 Mbps, which is still a lot faster than the 56Kbps "Fast Dialup". My first modem was 300 baud.

Satellite to ground communications is affected by weather. A good thunderboomer would kill my dish signal.

???? 

I was using an external 1200 baud in 1986 back in the old BBS, bulletin board days.  300? How far damn back do you go?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:16:24 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
???? 

I was using an external 1200 baud in 1986 back in the old BBS, bulletin board days.  300? How far damn back do you go?

That was my first modem I used with a VT100 terminal to link with the U of H back in 82. One where you cradle the phone's hand piece on the modem.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:54:02 pm by Elderberry »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
catfish wrote:
"I was using an external 1200 baud in 1986 back in the old BBS, bulletin board days.  300? How far damn back do you go?"

300 is right.
My first "modem" was actually a Panasonic [voice] phone/modem.
I bought it at Crazy Eddie's for a closeout price.

It looked like an ordinary office telephone, but it had an RS232 port on the back.
I had to custom-make a cable to plug into the back of my Apple //c.

You dialed the number "by hand", then waited for the connection (and the modem "tones"), then threw a switch, and the computer was connected!

Later on, I got a 1200bps modem (a real one, no phone), and thought that was fast...!

I used the Panasonic for years afterwards, as "a regular telephone"...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 11:51:35 pm by Fishrrman »

Online roamer_1

Waking this back up with some new info...

Got a hillbilly friend that is on the SpaceEx trial...

The hardware cost about 400 bucks, And consists of a powered microwave dish, about 100 ft of primary cable, a 10' patch cable, a power block/modem thingy, and a wireless router.

Setup was easy... a fixed place for the dish within 100', scan the northern sky with an app in your phone to figure out if you have enough clear space toward where the stats are flying... I guess you set the dish up level, run all the wire and plug everything together to get it ready, and then power the dish, which will auto-seek till it becomes stationary.

He's getting about 50mbs average with a latency of about 30ms, though there are times he's running over 120mbs (wow)... Cellular-over-wifi and voip both work... Excellent streaming (by comparison), and less trouble from wind and weather than he'd had previously with Hughs, Direct, and other sats.

Outtages mostly seem to be coming from the other end, and he speculates the short intervals to be sats realigning with each other as more are added... Something in a config reboot.... He has only had one major outage, which was about a half hour in the middle of the night (which sounds like an admin reboot to me)...

It is still pretty beta, but he is told to expect (that they are shooting for) an honest 100/120mbs. The cost monthly is around 100 bucks, which he is splitting with his kin sharing the connection. 3 houses are using the connection with reasonable success.