Author Topic: From Painfully Slow to Lightning Fast: SpaceX's Starlink Makes Rural Internet Usable  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
PC Mag by Michael Kan November 10, 2020

Rural Americans have long dealt with slow internet. But in interviews, SpaceX Starlink beta testers in Montana, Idaho, and elsewhere report speedy service that has transformed the way they use the web.

Nickolas Friedrich lives in central Montana, where his local broadband connectivity hasn't been good.

Every month, he pays about $120 for a measly 0.8Mbps download speed from the only DSL provider in town. And his connection can freeze up when too many neighbors are on the service at once.

As a result, streaming videos isn’t really possible. Instead, it can take an hour to download a low-quality 240p video from YouTube. The situation is so bad Friedrich used to go to the local library to download internet videos to his laptop so he could watch them later.

But recently, he’s been able to enjoy Netflix and YouTube at home, where the internet speeds can now shoot up as high as 170Mbps. The reason? Starlink, the next-generation satellite internet service from Elon Musk's SpaceX, that Friedrich has been helping test out. 

“It has been a lot faster than the only ISP that still services us with DSL,” Friedrich told us in a chat on Reddit. He's now considering canceling his account with CenturyLink—which has long promised a fiber rollout, but without any specifics—and switching to Starlink.

More: https://www.pcmag.com/news/from-painfully-slow-to-lightning-fast-spacexs-starlink-makes-rural-internet

Offline Blutarsky

• Please help trapped under Area 51
    • The vaccine is ready for the gullible drones
PC Mag by Michael Kan November 10, 2020

Rural Americans have long dealt with slow internet. But in interviews, SpaceX Starlink beta testers in Montana, Idaho, and elsewhere report speedy service that has transformed the way they use the web.

Nickolas Friedrich lives in central Montana, where his local broadband connectivity hasn't been good.

Every month, he pays about $120 for a measly 0.8Mbps download speed from the only DSL provider in town. And his connection can freeze up when too many neighbors are on the service at once.

As a result, streaming videos isn’t really possible. Instead, it can take an hour to download a low-quality 240p video from YouTube. The situation is so bad Friedrich used to go to the local library to download internet videos to his laptop so he could watch them later.

But recently, he’s been able to enjoy Netflix and YouTube at home, where the internet speeds can now shoot up as high as 170Mbps. The reason? Starlink, the next-generation satellite internet service from Elon Musk's SpaceX, that Friedrich has been helping test out. 

“It has been a lot faster than the only ISP that still services us with DSL,” Friedrich told us in a chat on Reddit. He's now considering canceling his account with CenturyLink—which has long promised a fiber rollout, but without any specifics—and switching to Starlink.

More: https://www.pcmag.com/news/from-painfully-slow-to-lightning-fast-spacexs-starlink-makes-rural-internet

I hate to be negative but 0.8Mbps is hardly even possible because nothing would work.  So the story is BS, and did you forget that in your last post you quoted starlink as having 15 to 120Mbps.  So 50Mbps just magically appeared.

Now onto the technical aspect, why would speeds vary so much on an airborne signal? I mean it's not like too many people on the line slow it down.

But yea if you live in the jungle it could be  big deal
Trust no one.....................

Online rustynail

No one needs more than 19k dialup.

Online roamer_1

I hate to be negative but 0.8Mbps is hardly even possible because nothing would work.  So the story is BS, and did you forget that in your last post you quoted starlink as having 15 to 120Mbps.  So 50Mbps just magically appeared.

Now onto the technical aspect, why would speeds vary so much on an airborne signal? I mean it's not like too many people on the line slow it down.

But yea if you live in the jungle it could be  big deal

I know places that barely get 33.6k ...

Online roamer_1

And heck yeah, it's a big deal...

Offline Blutarsky

I know places that barely get 33.6k ...
Using what source?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Rural DSL speeds are generally between 128 Kbps – 3 Mbps, which is still a lot faster than the 56Kbps "Fast Dialup". My first modem was 300 baud.

Satellite to ground communications is affected by weather. A good thunderboomer would kill my dish signal.

Online roamer_1

Online roamer_1

Rural DSL speeds are generally between 128 Kbps – 3 Mbps, which is still a lot faster than the 56Kbps "Fast Dialup". My first modem was 300 baud.

Satellite to ground communications is affected by weather. A good thunderboomer would kill my dish signal.

ALL phone is governed by the hardware in the ground... Up in here, it is dreadfully hard to put it in the ground, so even though they advertise DSL, it is dependent upon the switches and wire between !YOU! and wherever modern hardware is.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My house was built in 1960 and I went years and years before dsl was offered to me. Then when it became available I jumped on it one winter. But when spring came along and those ancient copper phone lines warmed up, it went to hell and they pulled my dsl service. I went back to dial up for a couple more years before they offered dsl again and this time I didn't have any more problems. My phone lines are all up in the air strung on poles.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 02:02:24 am by Elderberry »

Offline Blutarsky

DSL/Dialup.
Really? in 2020?

The problem with that is not that it is slow, it is that there is a base speed for some things.  You know like you can not ride a 1 mph car in the center lane of the freeway because the vehicles are doing 60 to 90mph.  The modern internet requires a certain speed, the possibility though is that the idiots using such systems are still hauling water from the pond to the outdoor shower with buckets.  Sorry folks, but these people are not driving Teslas and can not barter for starlink with catfish fillets as they have no money

Offline Blutarsky

My house was built in 1960 and I went years and years before dsl was offered to me. Then when it became available I jumped on it one winter. But when spring came along and those ancient copper phone lines warmed up, it went to hell and they pulled my dsl service. I went back to dial up for a couple more years before they offered dsl again and this time I didn't have any more problems. My phone lines are all up in the air strung on poles.

Why do you have phone but no cable or fiber?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
So if you live in the boonies and have to settle with slow internet, that makes you an idiot?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Why do you have phone but no cable or fiber?

I already mentioned to you that I gave up cable back in the 80's and I currently run on fiber.

Online roamer_1

Our wire is mostly buried... Not along the highways or down in the bottom so much, but up in the sticks, it is almost impossible to maintain wire on a pole... what with blowdowns and fires and all...

So yeah... they put it right down in the rock where it stays put.

But even here, a mile out of town, I was originally on DSL, but the line serves everything up and around the backside of the lake and on up the canyon, and on the weekend, I would literally do better with dialup... Too much weight on the line.

Finally gave up and went cable like I should have in the first place. But only because I can.

Offline Blutarsky

So if you live in the boonies and have to settle with slow internet, that makes you an idiot?

Depends on what boonies means.  Some people drive hours to a store, and others wait hours for an ambulance to arrive to take their dead body to the morgue.

The fact is that the boonies are meant for the animals, so give back what you stole

Online roamer_1

Really? in 2020?

Welcome to Montana. I live in the Flathead Valley, up in the NW corner, way up in the Rockies.

It depends which way you're going, but for sure, any direction, within 10 miles of town, any modernity follows the highway... and that modernity is nat gas, electric, and phone... And anyplace along the highway, somewhere between 2 and 5 miles off the highway you are down to electric and phone, and the phone is switched for way less than DSL speeds... Another 2 to 5 miles up, and there ain't nothing but propane and satellite... Even cell don't get very far off the highway.

The problem with that is not that it is slow, it is that there is a base speed for some things.  You know like you can not ride a 1 mph car in the center lane of the freeway because the vehicles are doing 60 to 90mph.  The modern internet requires a certain speed, the possibility though is that the idiots using such systems are still hauling water from the pond to the outdoor shower with buckets.  Sorry folks, but these people are not driving Teslas and can not barter for starlink with catfish fillets as they have no money

That ain't true. Yeah, hillbillies don't have a lot of money, but they are already paying through the nose for comm services right now. SO if it is reasonable, say, competitive with current satellite TV, guaranteed folks will switch over bigtime.

Heck, I will probably sign up once I know what I am getting into... What a treat to be ALL the way into the sticks and still have superior comms not to mention watching a movie by campfire light.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Depends on what boonies means.  Some people drive hours to a store, and others wait hours for an ambulance to arrive to take their dead body to the morgue.

The fact is that the boonies are meant for the animals, so give back what you stole

And what would that be?

And obviously you have no earthly idea what boonies are.

Online roamer_1

LOLWHUT??

Y'all don't know what you're talking about.

Offline Blutarsky

Welcome to Montana. I live in the Flathead Valley, up in the NW corner, way up in the Rockies.

It depends which way you're going, but for sure, any direction, within 10 miles of town, any modernity follows the highway... and that modernity is nat gas, electric, and phone... And anyplace along the highway, somewhere between 2 and 5 miles off the highway you are down to electric and phone, and the phone is switched for way less than DSL speeds... Another 2 to 5 miles up, and there ain't nothing but propane and satellite... Even cell don't get very far off the highway.

That ain't true. Yeah, hillbillies don't have a lot of money, but they are already paying through the nose for comm services right now. SO if it is reasonable, say, competitive with current satellite TV, guaranteed folks will switch over bigtime.

Heck, I will probably sign up once I know what I am getting into... What a treat to be ALL the way into the sticks and still have superior comms not to mention watching a movie by campfire light.

Well then you might benefit from starlink, but musk will rape you just the same once he has you hooked.  As for the boonies, 90 percent of the population of the World lives within an hour of an ocean. 

Offline Blutarsky

LOLWHUT??

Y'all don't know what you're talking about.

I have my opinion and you have yours.  I also do not have wolves eating my dogs, but some do.  Wouldn't want to live there

Online roamer_1

Well then you might benefit from starlink, but musk will rape you just the same once he has you hooked.  As for the boonies, 90 percent of the population of the World lives within an hour of an ocean.

BWAHAHAHA! So ALL of Jesusland... ALL of Flyover country is the boonies, eh?

Online roamer_1

I have my opinion and you have yours.  I also do not have wolves eating my dogs, but some do.  Wouldn't want to live there

Damnwell likewise the other way around... And most of my dogs have been wolves.

Offline Blutarsky

Damnwell likewise the other way around... And most of my dogs have been wolves.
All wolves should be free

Online roamer_1

All wolves should be free

Your ignorance is showing.