Author Topic: Why Reload?  (Read 3596 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Why Reload?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2020, 06:49:15 pm »
See I'm looking to get started as quickly as possible with just a basic setup that lets me load my most common rounds then add on from there...hit the ground running so to speak.

Time to do some research.

@txradioguy

Start with a Lee turret press and dies. Buy the one in the wooden box,and use the box as a portable reloading stand.

No,the Lee isn't as "slick" as a turret press that costs 5 times as much,but it WILL reload ammo every bit as reliable and as accurate as any press you can name.

The Lee offers the advantage of allowing you to get into mass reloading right NOW on the cheap,and if you decide late on you just must absolutely and positively have the BEST damn press in the world,no big deal. Buy it. The Lee has already paid for itself,and you can take it to the range with  you to reload on the spot if you want.

BTW,I can't even begin to guess how many thousands of rounds of ammo I have loaded in my old Lee press over the years.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2020, 06:53:11 pm »
What all I am saying is if you don't have the ammunition, ambition, coldness, coscious heartfullness, in your head...no gun will save you.

Peace out.

@bigheadfred

Fred,nobody knows if they have that until push comes to shove. Lots of people THINK they have it,but don't.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2020, 07:05:42 pm »
@bigheadfred

Fred,nobody knows if they have that until push comes to shove. Lots of people THINK they have it,but don't.

As General Patton said, paraphrased:  Many of you soldiers wonder if you will have the nerve to shoot, but I assure you when you reach out to a buddy and find a bunch of goo where his face used to be, you'll know what to do.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2020, 04:45:27 pm »
How To Reload Ammo: Beginner’s Guide to Reloading [2020]

https://gunnewsdaily.com/beginners-guide-reloading-ammo/

You’ve heard that going the DIY route can save you money, help you shoot better, and hey, it’s just plain old fun.

Once you’ve decided to reload your own ammo you will need to get some basic equipment and find a space that gives you room to work and has good lighting. We’ll cover the equipment needed, for a range of budgets.

If you’re still deciding if this is for you or not, we’re going to cover the reasons you should reload your own ammo and the reasons why you may not want to. We’ll figure out if you’ll really save money and be a better shot.

As you consider reloading your own ammo there are a couple of things to consider. First off, reloading is a safe hobby if you use common sense and take precautions. It could potentially be dangerous if you allow distractions around you.

If you are not they type of person who pays attention to detail, this may not be the best hobby for you.

Top Reasons To Reload Your Own Ammo

It Saves Money

Custom Loads and Maximum Accuracy

Constant Supply

It’s Fun!

How Do You Reload Ammo?

Now that we talked about how many advantages there are to reloading your own ammo, let’s get on with how to reload your own ammo.

This is an overview of reloading ammo. These are the possible steps to reloading your ammo. Your caliber may require all these steps or only a few. It’s always best to follow manufacturers reloading instructions before attempting to reload.

Parts of The Cartridge

The centerfire cartridge is the most common type of cartridge today. It gets it’s name from the primer being in the center of the ammunition. Centerfire cartridges can be reloaded.
Both cartridges, rimfire and centerfire have four main parts:

1.   Case: The case, or casing, holds the primer, powder, and bullet
2.   Primer: The primer explodes when struck by the firing pin, igniting the powder
3.   Powder: The powder burns, creating gas, that pushes the bullet out the muzzle
4.   Bullet: The bullet is what hits the target
The reloading process puts all these parts together.

Case Prep

Priming

Adding Gunpowder

Bullet Seating

Types of Reloading Presses

Single Stage Press

Turret Press

Progressive Press

Conclusion

Reloading isn’t difficult. Anyone can join in on this great hobby.

With some gear and extra time, you can keep yourself well supplied with ammo, while saving time and money along the way.

Happy loading!

Much more at link.

Offline yodaspock

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2020, 06:21:46 pm »
I love Reloading, I is extremely fulfilling to produce high value beautiful items in large quantities. It's almost better than shooting at the range. 

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2020, 06:36:20 pm »
I love Reloading, I is extremely fulfilling to produce high value beautiful items in large quantities. It's almost better than shooting at the range.

At least you said "almost". I do love to reload, but not as much as shooting. I started reloading as soon as I had a centerfire to reload. My Glenfield 30, I purchase when I was around 14.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2020, 06:41:30 pm »
As a historical buff, I have always dreamed of being able to shoot an 18th century musket, to see how my ancestors felt.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2020, 06:48:35 pm »
As a historical buff, I have always dreamed of being able to shoot an 18th century musket, to see how my ancestors felt.

I built a kit 45 cal flintlock rifle and it was a joy to shoot. Well, I did modernize it with a vernier tang receiver sight. I was impressed how accurate it was. It sure taught me the importance of "follow thru" after pulling the trigger.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2020, 11:29:06 pm »
At least you said "almost". I do love to reload, but not as much as shooting. I started reloading as soon as I had a centerfire to reload. My Glenfield 30, I purchase when I was around 14.

I think that's what I'll probably start my reloading adventures for...the Glenfield 30 I have upstairs.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2020, 12:07:32 am »
I started out reloading for my Glenfield 30 with a Lee Loader.

Gear Review: Reloading on a budget with the Lee Loader (VIDEO)

Guns.com by Terril James Herbert 07/12/2017

https://www.guns.com/news/review/gear-review-reloading-on-a-bare-bones-budget-with-the-lee-loader-video/

Reloading your own ammunition can seem very intimidating. Indeed, no matter your experience level, there is always a level of challenge to it. But the biggest hurdle to taking up reloading is getting into it in the first place. With hundreds — if not thousands — of equipment options on the market today, from cleaning equipment to presses to manuals, reloading seems like an art that will take a lot of time, money, and space (note, that is not even including bullet choices, powder choices, and even casting equipment).

There is a lot to sift through to determine what is best for you and I certainly felt the same way when I started in reloading. I didn’t have a lot of money or space and I wanted something uncomplicated. It was then that I decided to buy my first Lee Loader. It costs me all of $26. You could call it a reloader’s “gateway drug.”

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2020, 02:47:01 pm »
As General Patton said, paraphrased:  Many of you soldiers wonder if you will have the nerve to shoot, but I assure you when you reach out to a buddy and find a bunch of goo where his face used to be, you'll know what to do.

@Cyber Liberty

I am a great admirer of Patton,but in some ways he was a fool. The above is an example. When people panic,they ain't going to recover from it soon enough to become anything more than a quivering target.

Patton's biggest weakness was not his ego,as many claim,but the fact that he thought everybody else thought like he did,and only needed to be reminded to do their duty.

It just ain't so. There are people who are cowards,and there are brave people who just can't bring themselves to point a rifle at a fellow human being,even one in an enemy uniform,and purposely shoot them dead. Some won't shoot at all,and others will shoot without aiming,hoping they don't hurt anybody and that the enemy just goes away.  It is rarer than you might think to find so(meone in modern life that has the ability to purposely aim at and shoot to death a fellow human being.

Many of the people who do,and I have no idea what the percentage is,end up regretting it in later life and have it cause emotional and mental problems for them.

Which should surprise no one when you consider "Thou shall not kill!"is a Biblical Biggie. Add to that the FACT that almost nobody even kills or  butchers their own meat these days. Hell,a lot of people these days only see meat once it's cooked.

IF I remember correctly,a study about this done by the army shortly after WW-2 ended determined that out of a squad of 8 men,only two could be counted on to take direct aim at and purposely kill an enemy soldier and not be bothered by it. Out of the remainder,4 could ususally be counted on to fire in the general direction of the enemy,and the other two either wouldn't shoot at all,or would shoot up into the sky.

Even the army has recognized this since the Patton days.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 02:50:41 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2020, 02:51:56 pm »

@yodaspock

YUP!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2020, 02:53:28 pm »
Why Reload?

Because you're empty and it's still coming...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2020, 02:56:02 pm »
I started out reloading for my Glenfield 30 with a Lee Loader.

Gear Review: Reloading on a budget with the Lee Loader (VIDEO)

@Elderberry

Hell,I STILL use a Lee Loader as my prime reloading tool for handgun ammo. Well,almost. I use a Lee Turrett Press.

I use a single stage Rockchunker for my "reach out and touch somebody" rifle ammo,and measure everything VEWWY,VEWWY carefully with each load. THIS is where it gets a little anal.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2020, 02:57:28 pm »
BTW,the biggest reason is that even if you are only the tiniest bit anal,you owe it to yourself.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2020, 03:23:38 pm »
I use one of these now but used a Lee turret press for many years with excellent results.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2020, 03:40:46 pm »
I'm still using my RCBS jr press. While in the Navy I exclusively used it on a portable knee bench. More and more I also use Wilson Hand Dies.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2020, 03:51:49 am »
I learned to reload on my brothers RCBS Rock Chucker but bought my own Lee reloading kit with a single stage press and reloaded thousands of rounds on it. I think the most important lesson I learned about reloading was...........don't drink and load! My brother and I were having a good time drinking some nice stuff while loading and well let's just say pulling bullets on a few hundred rounds because you can't be sure you didn't throw the charge handle twice is not a lot of fun! But hey that was forty years ago and never repeated.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2020, 12:20:04 am »
I saw a story the other day where Nossler has come out with its 9th edition of it's hand loading book.

The way things are going I'm pretty sure this will become my new hobby for 2021
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2020, 12:55:11 am »
One thing I always wanted to learn was Paper Patched Bullets

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/bullet-information/paper-patch-bullets/

Loading Paper Patched Bullets

Paper patched bullets (PPB) are probably the most controversial of all lead bullet styles.  Much discussion and cussin have been laid at their doorstep.  It has been my experience, however, that most of the cussin has been from folks with little or no personal experience with PPBs!  Most shooters, given quality PPBs and proper loading techniques, are delighted to give them a try.

Consider this:  when the Sharps Rifle Company was at its heyday in the 1870’s and 1880’s, the PPB was the most common bullet offered in their factory ammunition.  Why?  Because the PPB was and is the best lead game killing bullet available.  The demise of the American Bison can be attributed primarily to PPBs.  PPBs were easy to make by the frontiersman, requiring nothing but a skillet, pig lead, patching paper and a mould.  Untold thousands of PPBs were made by the campfires during the 1880’s.

My son and I have personally cast, patched and shot thousands of PPBs, both in competition and hunting, and we have a very high opinion of them.  My PPBs are cast of soft lead (BHN- 6), just like the old timers did.  You can expect 45 caliber PPBs to expand to near silver dollar size and the 40 caliber ones to expand to half-dollar size.  The old buffalo hunters reported complete penetration of their quarry with PPBs, regardless of the angle.

I have also found that carefully prepared and loaded PPBs will shoot as well as any other lead bullet style, clear out to 1,000 yds.  And why not?  The bullet has no contact with the barrel (which means no leading problems, even at 1500 fps), and it emerges clean and smooth with no lube or lube rings to affect it aerodynamically.  Barrel clean up is minimal.  We have personally shot hundreds of my PPBs during a session, without barrel cleaning and without any deterioration in accuracy.  That’s with smokeless powder loads.  You charcoal burners will have to clean as you normally do, because of powder fouling.  That’s correct, PPBs work equally well with black or smokeless powder.