Author Topic: Why Reload?  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Why Reload?
« on: November 08, 2020, 12:32:43 am »
Jerry's Outdoor Supply

Why Reload?

1) Availability....

Been to a big chain sporting goods store lately & looked at ammo? One thing they all have is plenty of bare shelves as consumer demand has skyrocketed. They are trying desperately to get more product...despite rumors, there is no conspiracy to prevent  ammo sales;  all businesses want to make money & they do so by keeping on hand whatever people want to buy.  But when demand for products increases faster than suppliers can make it, faster than wholesalers can stock it, and faster than the trucking companies can ship it, predictable things happen: supplies get short, lines get long, prices get inflated, people get frustrated, and consumers tend to buy more of whatever they do find just because they don't know when they will find it again.  There simply isn't enough to go around.

2) Cost...

Average ammunition prices have seen dramatic increases for various reasons. Shortages drive prices up; cost of raw goods including lead, copper, brass, etc have gone increased. Fuel price increases have resulted in higher shipping costs. Most suppliers can no longer say "We'll have it here in a week" as stocks diminish & backorders run months out.  Manufacturers are trying to fill orders, but consumer pressure to provide high-demand items has them working 'round the clock.

The average reloader can easily cut ammo costs by 50%, and in some instances the savings can be over 75%, especially when buying low-demand items, most of the big Magnums, or relatively obscure ammo. For example, not long ago i was at a local shop & a customer dropped in for some ammo to feed a newly acquired classic rifle he received from a family member, a sleek old Winchester 43 in .218Bee. With sales tax, 2 boxes of ammo pretty much tore up a pair of $100-dollar bills.  I shoot a Bee also, and i can load my own .218 ammo for about the same price as buying .22magnum rimfire ammo. You may find you dont save a ton of money, because you can shoot a whole lot more for the same coin spent....but any way you slice it, the dollar stretches a lot farther.

More: https://www.jerrysreloading.com/why-reload--1.html

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Why Reload?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 12:37:31 am »
The Case For—and Against—Reloading Your Own Ammunition

NRA Women by Serena Juchnowski posted on July 20, 2020

https://www.nrawomen.com/content/the-case-for-and-against-reloading-your-own-ammunition/

For some, reloading (often referred to as handloading) ammunition is a hobby; for others, a necessity. And even though reloading is an activity that traditionally has been assigned to male firearm enthusiasts, more women than ever are undertaking this rewarding endeavor. Reloading is made up of a series of simple and repeatable tasks, and its technicalities and complexities can at times appear intimidating if you aren't mechanically minded. But modern equipment—along with detailed instruction and the readily available ammo components—keep this activity within reach for the average shooter. If you’re an NRA Woman contemplating whether you should take the plunge into reloading, read these considerations for and against this unique hobby.

The Case For Reloading ...

1. Cost Savings

Depending on the quality of ammunition you seek, reloading can be considerably less expensive than purchasing factory-loaded ammunition. This is especially beneficial for women who shoot frequently, particularly when shooting match-quality ammunition. While the approximate cost to reload a single round of match-quality .223 ammunition is $0.50, comparable match ammunition runs at least $1.00 per round—about twice as much. (Many reloaders do not count the price of the brass because it is used over multiple firings.)

Example:

.223 Remington – Match Quality

Brass and Primer: Pre-Primed Wolf Brass: $0.15 per case/5 firings = $0.03         
    CCI Small Rifle Primers (for use after firstt firing of Wolf Brass): $0.03
    24-gr. N140: $33.99 per pound/7000 grains x 24 grains = $0.12
    Berger .22-Cal. 73-gr. BT Target Bullets: $0.33 per bullet

Approximate cost to load one match-quality round: $0.50

2. Immunity to Ammo Shortages

Once you have become proficient in reloading, unanticipated runs on ammunition will affect you less. Due to factors like the national health crisis, civil unrest and the sudden increase in the number of new gun owners, dealers are currently selling out of certain factory center-fire rounds as soon as they stock them, and shelves are bereft of a once-plentiful supply. However, reloading components such as powder, bullets and primers are generally still available.

More at link.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 12:43:23 am »
My friends and I have been discussing the option of going in together on a really nice reloading set up and setting it up in my basement and using it as we need to in order to maintain a supply of ammo.  And given the fact I saw only two calibers of pistol calibers at Academy today (.357 Sig and .32 Auto) and absolutely no rifle calibers...the reloading is looking better and better.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 12:58:19 am »
My friends and I have been discussing the option of going in together on a really nice reloading set up and setting it up in my basement and using it as we need to in order to maintain a supply of ammo.  And given the fact I saw only two calibers of pistol calibers at Academy today (.357 Sig and .32 Auto) and absolutely no rifle calibers...the reloading is looking better and better.

I'll have to check out my Academy, I shoot both of those. I think too many of my friends had me trained. They would save all their 38 Special cases and periodically I would do a reloading binge, reloading all their brass. I have quite a lead collection. I haven't done any casting in several years. Other than helping my son cast 9mm, the only other casting I've done in a long while was for my 1in bore cannon. I think its time for me to really get back into reloading. I've currently collected enough components to start by loading 500 or so 357 Sig and a few hundred 358 Yeti. I have always loaded for my rifles, but I haven't loaded  much pistol ammo in a good while.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 01:07:11 am »
I'll have to check out my Academy, I shoot both of those. I think too many of my friends had me trained. They would save all their 38 Special cases and periodically I would do a reloading binge, reloading all their brass. I have quite a lead collection. I haven't done any casting in several years. Other than helping my son cast 9mm, the only other casting I've done in a long while was for my 1in bore cannon. I think its time for me to really get back into reloading. I've currently collected enough components to start by loading 500 or so 357 Sig and a few hundred 358 Yeti. I have always loaded for my rifles, but I haven't loaded  much pistol ammo in a good while.

When I lived in Kentucky a couple years ago I'd save my .45 ACP brass and give them to a civilian in my unit who made custom built 1911's.  He repaid me with a couple of zip lock bags of hand loaded 23o gr .45 rounds.  I'm just thinking of cutting out the middleman and making in bulk what I need to have for the guns in my house.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 01:21:06 am »
When I lived in Kentucky a couple years ago I'd save my .45 ACP brass and give them to a civilian in my unit who made custom built 1911's.  He repaid me with a couple of zip lock bags of hand loaded 23o gr .45 rounds.  I'm just thinking of cutting out the middleman and making in bulk what I need to have for the guns in my house.

Then go beyond "Just Thinking". Decide on starting loads. Place orders for primers, once fired brass, bullets, and powder. Then decide on a press and powder measure and order them. As well as other sundries, such as caliper, case lube pad, primer seater, primer pocket reamer, case tumbler(I never did, my son does), and that covers most things.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 01:26:15 am »
Then go beyond "Just Thinking". Decide on starting loads. Place orders for primers, once fired brass, bullets, and powder. Then decide on a press and powder measure and order them. As well as other sundries, such as caliper, case lube pad, primer seater, primer pocket reamer, case tumbler(I never did, my son does), and that covers most things.

There are whole packages you can buy that have all of that in them right?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 01:28:46 am »
There are whole packages you can buy that have all of that in them right?

I believe so. I've just never dealt with one. I just add to what I've got as the years go by. Tool Packages. Not components.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 01:30:13 am by Elderberry »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 01:41:50 am »
I believe so. I've just never dealt with one. I just add to what I've got as the years go by. Tool Packages. Not components.

See I'm looking to get started as quickly as possible with just a basic setup that lets me load my most common rounds then add on from there...hit the ground running so to speak.

Time to do some research.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 01:48:35 am »
See I'm looking to get started as quickly as possible with just a basic setup that lets me load my most common rounds then add on from there...hit the ground running so to speak.

We all shoot, rifle wise, .270s, packing in a couple of extra grains of powder. Makes reloading easy. All chambers are different, so there are reloads that won't fit a certain gun. Especially resizing an ought six down. We do an ammo check. Multipule reloaded brass can become weak and a problem.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 01:53:36 am »

Order primers now, if you can find a supplier. Then do your load development and select the general types of bullets. Order bullets and powder. One of my bullet back orders just came in a couple of days ago. I ordered it 4 months ago. I had no trouble with any of my once fired brass orders. Most suppliers no longer allow back orders. They only allow notification requests. You shouldn't have any problem ordering the reloading equipment.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 02:02:23 am »

We all shoot, rifle wise, .270s, packing in a couple of extra grains of powder. Makes reloading easy. All chambers are different, so there are reloads that won't fit a certain gun. Especially resizing an ought six down. We do an ammo check. Multipule reloaded brass can become weak and a problem.

When I chambered my 98 and 95 Mauser in 7mm Mauser, I tried my best to cut both chambers to be the same. That way I didn't have to segregate the fired cases between them and I could get away with just neck sizing.  When I was making cases for my 358 Yeti, I used a whole bunch of 270 cases my friend gave me as well as 06, 308, 243, and some more in that same family of cases.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 03:15:18 am »
Order primers now, if you can find a supplier. Then do your load development and select the general types of bullets. Order bullets and powder. One of my bullet back orders just came in a couple of days ago. I ordered it 4 months ago. I had no trouble with any of my once fired brass orders. Most suppliers no longer allow back orders. They only allow notification requests. You shouldn't have any problem ordering the reloading equipment.

:thumbsup:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 12:45:57 am »
I stumbled upon ammoseek.com that will let you know who has what in stock. Twice on primers, I got to a site that showed primers in stock, but by the time I was to complete an order, They were all gone. Well they say the third times a charm, I was able to submit an order for Lg pistol primers today. I'll have to wait and see if and when they ship them. Last week I ordered powder that showed in stock. Afterwards I got the email saying they were getting ready to ship. Now Today they sent me an email saying they most likely won't ship my order for 8 to 10 weeks.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 01:01:50 am »
When I chambered my 98 and 95 Mauser in 7mm Mauser, I tried my best to cut both chambers to be the same. That way I didn't have to segregate the fired cases between them and I could get away with just neck sizing.  When I was making cases for my 358 Yeti, I used a whole bunch of 270 cases my friend gave me as well as 06, 308, 243, and some more in that same family of cases.

We used to get miltary .06 then they went to something not primerable.

It has beeen years. Been a long time between shots with any gun for 16 years. Because that right was taken away. uh huh

Either I care enough to be clean or I am a serious stone cold killer. I point a gun at a target I expect it to be dead after one shot.

Save your brass, for sure, and get any available. S storm coming.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 01:04:45 am »
What all I am saying is if you don't have the ammunition, ambition, coldness, coscious heartfullness, in your head...no gun will save you.

Peace out.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 01:40:59 am »
I still have abt 500 rds left of the Greek de-linked 06 MG ammo. It was dirt cheap in its day. My boys have burned thru most of the rest of the 06 ammo. I'm down to 1 bandoleer of M2AP.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 01:56:00 am »
I still have abt 500 rds left of the Greek de-linked 06 MG ammo. It was dirt cheap in its day. My boys have burned thru most of the rest of the 06 ammo. I'm down to 1 bandoleer of M2AP.

Someone said it in a war movie. If I need a gun there will be plenty laying around here soon.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2020, 02:13:21 am »
Someone said it in a war movie. If I need a gun there will be plenty laying around here soon.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2020, 02:24:38 am »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2020, 02:42:40 am »
Why reload?  Because magazines are cheaper than a belt-fed rifle?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2020, 02:48:45 am »
Why reload?  Because magazines are cheaper than a belt-fed rifle?

Is this one of those Penthouse Forum fantasies?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2020, 03:10:10 am »
Is this one of those Penthouse Forum fantasies?

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2020, 12:33:11 pm »
You said Belt-Fed?

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2020, 02:50:00 pm »
You said Belt-Fed?

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

That pack looks heavy, but she is certainly fit enough to carry it....
I will NOT comply.