Author Topic: Ammo Shortage May Last Until 2021  (Read 772 times)

Offline mountaineer

Ammo Shortage May Last Until 2021
« on: November 07, 2020, 11:02:26 pm »
Not a current article, but still pertinent.
Ammo Shortage May Last Until 2021
 by Guy J. Sagi - Thursday, August 20, 2020
Shooting Illustrated

Vista Outdoor CEO Christopher Metz’s quarterly earnings call, which took place earlier this month, indicates the current ammunition shortage may continue at least until 2021—perhaps longer.

“July firearms background checks were another triple-digit month, and we have said many times that ammunition sales typically take multiple months to catch up,” Metz told investors on the conference call. The comment indicates it may be the end of the year before retailers are fully stocked again, assuming cartridge demand stabilizes.

Olin’s quarterly report, also issued earlier this month, endorses that observation. The company said its Winchester Ammunition division experienced a 17-percent increase in orders during the three-month period.

“We expect this elevated level of demand to continue at least until the end of the year,” Olin CEO John Fischer said during his earnings call.

A Presidential election in November will have an impact on the prediction.   ...
Rest of article at link.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Ammo Shortage May Last Until 2021
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 11:57:41 pm »
I'm focusing more on purchasing reloading supplies. I struck out yesterday on primers so I placed several "Notification Requests". I did find powder and placed an order on one of my most used powders. Several times a supplier said they had an item in stock, but when I placed an order they were out. They tell you when you place a notification request that its first come first served so you have to place an order right away whenever you get notified. I have gotten several emails advertising pre-order opportunities, but the prices they want are too extreme for me to bite.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 12:15:04 am »
I don't plan to enter the reloading biz. I'm pretty much a novice shooter and am not prepared to learn a new skill.
 Did an ammo inventory today and just decided not to visit the range unless I absolutely have to.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 12:23:40 am »
I don't plan to enter the reloading biz. I'm pretty much a novice shooter and am not prepared to learn a new skill.
 Did an ammo inventory today and just decided not to visit the range unless I absolutely have to.

@mountaineer

When/if things get back to what we laughingly call "normal",you need to get into reloading. If you are even the tiniest bit anal,you will LOVE it!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 12:29:00 am »
When/if things get back to what we laughingly call "normal",you need to get into reloading. If you are even the tiniest bit anal,you will LOVE it!
I've mentioned that Mr. M and I are on our church security team. Our team leader collects all our brass whenever we hit the range and has a guy who does the reloading for us. I would guess that very few of us have been out shooting lately, though.