Author Topic: When The Right Stuff Goes Wrong: Real F/A-18E Super Hornet Crash Site Photo Mirrors Movie Scene  (Read 430 times)

rangerrebew

When The Right Stuff Goes Wrong: Real F/A-18E Super Hornet Crash Site Photo Mirrors Movie Scene
October 27, 2020 David Cenciotti Aviation Safety / Air Crashes

A photo of the Super Hornet pilot near the crash site after ejection is strikingly similar to a famous scene from “The Right Stuff”.

On Oct. 20, 2020, a U.S. Navy F/A-18E Super Hornet departed from NAS Lemoore, California, on a training mission over the Superior Valley, crashed on the west side of Highway 14, in Kern County, not far from Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, California. The pilot successfully ejected from the jet, using the aircraft’s Mk14 (more commonly known as SJU17A and NACES) ejection seat.

Martin-Baker (MB) “the world leader in the design and manufacture of ejection and crashworthy seats” and the manufacturer of the NACES ejection seat, shared a nice photograph on their social media channel today. The image, originally posted by KSEE24 News, shows the pilot, still wearing its JHMCS (Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System), using what seems to be a smartphone, next to crash site, right after the ejection.

First of all, the photo gives an interesting hint: based on the emblem on the pilot’s helmet, the aircraft was likely operated by Strike Fighter Squadron 14 (VFA-14) “Tophatters”, based at NAS Lemoore and a component of Carrier Air Wing Nine (CVW-9), which is attached to the John C. Stennis Strike Group.

https://theaviationist.com/2020/10/27/when-the-right-stuff-goes-wrong-real-f-a-18e-super-hornet-crash-site-photo-mirrors-movie-scene/

rangerrebew

Was he flying solo?  Super Hornets usually have two persons crews, after all. :pondering:

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
F-18E is single seat....F-18F is the two-seater.

rangerrebew

Thanks for the info.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
First phone call: "Hi mom. I wrecked the plane but I'm okay..."  j/k
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis