Author Topic: To Launch Deadly-Fast Precision Fire, Army Will Need to Turn Soldiers into Coders  (Read 206 times)

rangerrebew

To Launch Deadly-Fast Precision Fire, Army Will Need to Turn Soldiers into Coders

7 Oct 2020
Military.com | By Matthew Cox

Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy said Wednesday the service will need to man its units with software coding experts to be able to launch deadly-fast precision fires on enemy forces in the next war.

A large part of the Army's modernization effort will rely on precise algorithms to shorten the time it takes to identify enemy targets and destroy them with long-range precision fires. To make that happen, the service will need soldiers on the battlefield who can adjust software coding in the middle of a battle, McCarthy said.

The Army has launched an effort to turn existing soldiers into software developers by creating special curricula for the university level of instruction.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/10/07/launch-deadly-fast-precision-fire-army-will-need-turn-soldiers-coders.html

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Not sure why the soldiers would have to write code. All the ranging and atmospheric factors, azimuth, rotation of the earth, etc. should be fill in the blank. There are rifle scopes which can make these calculations for long distance shots, and accept data from the spotter's optics to do so. I have trouble understanding why the same can't be scaled for artillery purposes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis