Author Topic: In defense of daylight savings  (Read 3011 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
In defense of daylight savings
« on: November 01, 2020, 01:43:22 am »
A slightly expanded version of a short editorial I penned on social media:

Twice a year, every year, we get a barrage of complaints from self-proclaimed “experts” telling us we should get rid of Daylight Saving Time because it supposedly messes with our circadian rhythm and causes health problems, car crashes, dogs and cats living together, etc. All those problems would supposedly disappear if we just stayed on one or the other all year, they say.

Well, if you're like me, you tend to naturally wake up with the sunrise. Today is the last day of DST, and the sun is not up until 8 a.m. I woke up to run an errand at 7:00 and it was still dark. If we stayed on DST year round, we'd be waking up in the dark all winter—early January sunrise wouldn't come until almost 9:00! Changing back and forth between DST helps keep the clock somewhat in phase with sunrise.

It's crude, yes, and I suppose down south where the differences in daylight aren't as drastic, it isn't as useful, but here, it makes perfect sense. Now, I suppose you could use some other method that doesn't require the abrupt shifts that happen twice a year, but they'd likely mangle up our existing clocks to the point of uselessness, so in terms of a practical compromise, DST is better than the alternatives.

Keep Daylight Saving Time the way it is.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DB

Re: In defense of daylight savings
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 01:53:25 am »
"supposedly messes with our circadian rhythm"

Supposedly?

Really?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 12:31:21 pm »
"supposedly messes with our circadian rhythm"

Supposedly?

Really?
Yeah, supposedly. And consider the alternative: do you think having to spend all morning in the dark all winter WOULDN'T mess with the circadian rhythm?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 01:13:49 pm »
I'll just simply say, I wish they would leave it one way or the other. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 01:38:44 pm »
That's where I stand. One of the other. I kind of prefer daylight saving time, though.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 02:03:52 pm »

:yowsa:  pointing-up

I generally get up when the sun comes up no matter what the clock says.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 02:05:14 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 02:47:52 pm »

:hands:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 03:35:54 pm »

Yep. But, I say leave it tied to sunrise, which is part of the natural processes that brought us to this point.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 04:25:06 pm »
That's where I stand. One of the other. I kind of prefer daylight saving time, though.

DST is for more than half the year.  "Standard" isn't really the standard anymore.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DB

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 04:30:40 pm »
Yeah, supposedly. And consider the alternative: do you think having to spend all morning in the dark all winter WOULDN'T mess with the circadian rhythm?

The cycle is slow changing and the body smoothly adapts - as it has for nearly humankind's entire existence.

The sudden change is hard on many people. There's a reason the death rate spikes when the time changes.

Just leave it alone, whatever it is. If schools want to change the time kids go depending the on the time of year that's fine. Same with businesses.

Don't screw with the time.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 04:46:17 pm »
The cycle is slow changing and the body smoothly adapts - as it has for nearly humankind's entire existence.

The sudden change is hard on many people. There's a reason the death rate spikes when the time changes.

Just leave it alone, whatever it is. If schools want to change the time kids go depending the on the time of year that's fine. Same with businesses.

:thumbsup:
Well said.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 04:52:06 pm »

This is one of those times I'm glad to be living in AZ.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 04:56:13 pm »
This is one of those times I'm glad to be living in AZ.

It’s brutal in the northern latitudes. First the weather, now governments screwing with time.

Offline berdie

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 10:57:37 pm »

I'll second that. :laugh:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 01:50:59 am »

Being the canary in the coalmine on this particular subject, I can say with all certainty that it messes with circadian rhythm.

I am absolutely against DST. It messes me up to no end. Far better to simply change the hours of the working day, which is far more natural to me, than to mess with the clock. So what if the kids go to school at eight and out at four during the winter? So what if the store opens 10 to 6 in the winter?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 01:58:28 am »

That's right... Or better yet, don't pay attention to time at all...

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2020, 02:14:44 am »
The reason for daylight savings time, was originally for farmers and to save on candles.  We don't have that issue any more. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2020, 02:16:42 am »
The reason for daylight savings time, was originally for farmers and to save on candles.  We don't have that issue any more.

No... Farmers don't care what time it is... That's a city thing.

Offline DB

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2020, 02:37:28 am »
That's right... Or better yet, don't pay attention to time at all...

I have employees/other people that I need to work with...

Otherwise I don't really care what time it is...

Most of my life I went to bed when the sun started to rise...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2020, 02:51:46 am »
I have employees/other people that I need to work with...

Otherwise I don't really care what time it is...

Most of my life I went to bed when the sun started to rise...

This time of year, for me, it's hard telling. Big weather tips me over... Something in falling barometric pressure... If it is falling fast, I go super cold, and tip over... Hard to tell when I wake up. So I can go from fairly on schedule with everyone else to being 180 degrees out just over a winter storm. and if you consider how winter storms line up this time of year....

Add to that a desperate need for light, and this time of year is hell on me. I can tell you part of it is artificial light - Especially computers. Often if I am at a computer I will just stay up all night and not even know it. So all my computers have an alarm for 11:00 pm, and I MUST shut down then, or I simply will not shut down.

Funny though, as it only happens in town. Something to do with the artificial warmth and light of a house. If I am sleeping out in it in the woods, I wake up with the first crack of dawn and get tired about an hour after dark.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2020, 03:14:31 am »
No... Farmers don't care what time it is... That's a city thing.

You are wrong.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2020, 03:18:59 am »
You are wrong.

No I am not. I are one. The rooster wakes the farmer. Not the alarm clock. And the rooster's crow is tied to the sun, not the clock. I literally have no need of time at all at the farm or in the forest... All you need os a rough estimate - hold your hand sideways from the horizon ... every hand width is about 4 hrs. Good enough.

And yeah by the way, candles and lanterns are still part of farm life. At least here they are.