Author Topic: Starlink Beta Speed Tests Put Traditional Satellite Internet to Shame  (Read 852 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Extreme Tech By Ryan Whitwam on October 30, 2020

SpaceX has been launching batches of Starlink internet satellites on a regular basis since May 2019, and there are now hundreds of nodes in its megaconstellation. That provides sufficient coverage that SpaceX has started rolling out a beta test of its new satellite internet service. According to data from Ookla Speedtest (and analyzed by our colleagues at PCMag), Starlink is living up to its lofty speed claims.

Starlink joins a market that has long been dominated by a handful of companies like HughesNet and Viasat that offer sluggish satellite internet as a last resort for consumers who don’t have any other options. The current network features almost 900 satellites, some of which orbit much lower than traditional internet satellites. That helps Starlink deliver higher speeds and lower latency.

While Starlink isn’t cheap with its $500 equipment fee and $100 monthly bill, it’s vastly outperforming the other satellite internet providers. In its invitation emails, SpaceX promises between 50 and 150Mbps, and it’s running well inside that range. With the launch of the beta, Ookla has seen the average Starlink speed jump from 30-40Mbps all the way to 79.5Mbps down.

More: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/316819-starlink-beta-speed-tests-put-traditional-satellite-internet-to-shame

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Starlink Beta Speed Tests Put Traditional Satellite Internet to Shame
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 01:50:56 pm »
I bet service will still go out when there is a heavy snow or rain storm.

Offline AL

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 02:32:10 pm »
I bet service will still go out when there is a heavy snow or rain storm.

Where I'm at power frequently drops out in bad weather, my UPS gives me about 45 minutes.  So a sat wouldn't make a lot of difference to me in bad weather.  Hopefully the price on the receivers will come down, then I'll switch.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 03:52:11 pm »
I think these birds are in Low Earth Orbit, unlike the Geostationary Com satellites.  That's a lot less latency.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: