Author Topic: What to Wear When You’re Battling Giant, Venomous Hornets  (Read 646 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
What to Wear When You’re Battling Giant, Venomous Hornets

The suits worn by Washington state entomologists aren't "official" hornet-fighting armor. But they were affordable—and came up in an Amazon search.

By now you’ve surely seen the pictures: A dozen humanoid forms encased in full-body, white nylon suits are working on scaffolding at the base of a saran-wrapped tree by the red glow of headlamps, one of them raising a plexiglass vacuum tube between its blue-gloved hands in triumph. Inside, 85 wasps, each the size of a human thumb, are piled against one another in cold-induced slumber. No, these weren’t scenes from the next great biothreat thriller. Over the weekend, Washington State Department of Agriculture workers took out the first Asian giant hornet nest found in the United States.

Come to think of it, it was sort of a biothreat thriller. A bit anticlimactic, perhaps. But it had great costumes.

The enormous honeybee-beheading predator, nicknamed the “murder hornet,” was first discovered in Whatcom County late last year.

https://www.wired.com/story/what-to-wear-when-youre-battling-giant-venomous-hornets#intcid=_wired-right-rail_a066a6b7-6722-46b2-92fe-d7d2c43e39b3_popular4-1
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: What to Wear When You’re Battling Giant, Venomous Hornets
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 03:55:50 pm »
Why wear a simple mask against the 'rona when you could wear a murder hornet suit?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 04:27:54 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: What to Wear When You’re Battling Giant, Venomous Hornets
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 09:04:19 pm »
Shades of the Andromeda Strain.....