Author Topic: A Parent's Guide To Getting Started In The Shooting Sports  (Read 615 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
A Parent's Guide To Getting Started In The Shooting Sports
« on: October 27, 2020, 11:04:08 am »
NRA Explore  by Steve Foster - Monday, October 26, 2020

Thirty-eight years ago, I pulled the trigger on my first gun—a bolt-action rimfire rifle. The loud crack of the bullet leaving the rifle and hitting a soda can lit a spark inside me—which has developed into a passion for the shooting sports.

Steel Challenge is a great place for new shooters and youth shooters to begin their shooting career. Some of us haven’t left. Why Steel Challenge? Well for starters, the low barrier for entry can help to get younger family members involved in competitive shooting.

Recently, I met an amazing young man named Tucker. Nine years old, his father Andy Browne was squadded with me at a Tier 1 match in Tennessee. Tucker was enthusiastic about shooting and had lots of questions. He did not shoot this event, but attended because his father wanted to gauge his interest and readiness to attend his first match.

Shortly after meeting Tucker, his father reached out to me and said he had successfully completed his first match. I sat down with Tucker and his father to answer some questions many parents have about getting their children or younger family members into competitive shooting.

More: https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2020/10/26/a-parents-guide-to-getting-started-in-the-shooting-sports