Author Topic: Voting for Joe Biden is like believing in the tooth fairy  (Read 123 times)

rangerrebew

Voting for Joe Biden is like believing in the tooth fairy
« on: October 25, 2020, 02:06:53 pm »
Voting for Joe Biden is like believing in the tooth fairy
October 23, 2020 | Ed Brodow | Print Article

Children have a wonderful facility for believing in fictions like the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.

There is something very comforting about allowing yourself to believe that when you experience trauma, a magical entity will come into your life and provide a cosmic level of relief. As adults, although we know full well that such notions are fictitious, we often miss the simplicity and security of our childhood fantasies. Voting for Joe Biden is a way of regressing back to that sublime state.

One of my heroes is mythology expert Joseph Campbell. I just watched a video where Campbell defines becoming an adult as “breaking past the image as fact and understanding the image as metaphor.” He is talking about the tooth fairy. As children, we thought of the tooth fairy as a fact, a living essence. Losing a tooth can be a traumatic event. Belief in the tooth fairy can make it better. I remember my grandfather telling me that he had encountered Santa Claus in our kitchen the night before. Santa was cold so my grandfather made him a cup of coffee. I accepted it as fact, and even took pride in my grandfather’s ability to interact with Santa. It was a heartwarming experience in my childhood that I wish I could recreate. How can I do that, if as an adult I know that Santa is only a metaphor for the winter solstice? Good news—thanks to Uncle Joe Biden, I can.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/10/23/voting-for-joe-biden-is-like-believing-in-the-tooth-fairy-988130