Author Topic: Advice for Self-Defense Training During the Ammo Shortage  (Read 648 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Advice for Self-Defense Training During the Ammo Shortage
« on: October 22, 2020, 02:59:27 pm »
USA Carry by Salvatore -October 21, 2020

I have not seen a run on ammunition like the one at the time of this writing in my lifetime. Those of us who have been in this game remember 2013, the last notable ammo shortage. Even that paled in comparison to what we are currently seeing. Ammo in the main calibers is simply scarce and when you find it you will pay very inflated prices for it. Therefore, most of us will be doing far less shooting than usual.

However, the reduction in live-fire training should not put a damper on your overall progress in self-defense training, but you may need to change your priorities. There is plenty of productive firearms training that can still be done in dry fire, and the ammo shortage is a perfect reason to expand your self-defense training into other fields that you might focus less on but may prove just as important in an emergency.

Keep Training Through Dry Fire

While your live-fire may be limited, there is no reason to abandon enhancing your shooting skills. Top competition shooters, who are the most accomplished mechanical shooters in the word, often press the trigger in dry fire at a ten-to-one ration compared to live fire. Many of the top shooters in the world actually do the majority of their gun training with a dry gun. There are certain things that you must shoot live ammo to train, particularly the ability to control recoil and overcome the flinch response. However, the mechanics of shooting can generally be practiced dry.

More: https://www.usacarry.com/training-during-ammo-shortage/

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Advice for Self-Defense Training During the Ammo Shortage
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 05:51:09 pm »
It's clear that the one thing I'm gonna have to invest more $$$ in is snap caps.

I don't see the ammo industry catching up any time soon and I need to keep what ammo have ready for SHTF scenarios that might arise.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 06:20:18 pm »
It's clear that the one thing I'm gonna have to invest more $$$ in is snap caps.

I don't see the ammo industry catching up any time soon and I need to keep what ammo have ready for SHTF scenarios that might arise.

I have laser bullets in 3 different calibers so far that also function as snap caps. I try to dry fire practice every day.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 06:21:17 pm »
I have laser bullets in 3 different calibers so far that also function as snap caps. I try to dry fire practice every day.

I've looked into those systems as well.  There's a couple that work through a smart phone app that look interesting as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 06:28:43 pm »
I've looked into those systems as well.  There's a couple that work through a smart phone app that look interesting as well.
I downloaded the iTarget Pro app onto my phone. I didn't get anything else from them. I find cheaper laser bullets to use. I picked up a phone holder attachment for a tripod to hold my phone and I print out a target and stick it on the wall.

Online rustynail

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 06:35:05 pm »