Author Topic: REUTERS: U.S. says Google breakup may be needed to end violations of antitrust law  (Read 879 times)

Offline roamer_1

REUTERS: U.S. says Google breakup may be needed to end violations of antitrust law
By Diane Bartz, David Shepardson

7 Min Read
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. sued Google on Tuesday, accusing the $1 trillion company of illegally using its market muscle to hobble rivals in the biggest challenge to the power and influence of Big Tech in decades.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tech-antitrust-google/u-s-says-google-breakup-may-be-needed-to-end-violations-of-antitrust-law-idUSKBN2751OC

Offline Absalom

REUTERS: U.S. says Google breakup may be needed to end violations of antitrust law
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. sued Google on Tuesday, accusing the $1 trillion company of illegally using its market muscle to hobble rivals in the biggest challenge to the power and influence of Big Tech in decades.
----------------------------
Roamer, as you surely know, our only free market Party was our Southern Agrarian &
Rural Democrats; unfortunately fatally tarred by slavery and destroyed by the Civil War.
After that conflict, the Republicans, a northern Merchant Party, became the water boys
for industrial capitalism, whether the form be monopoly or oligopoly.
During their 75 year ascendancy, until Hoover, they set the economic tone and temperament
for the USA which largely persists to this very moment.
Despite their claims, that party has never supported free market capitalism given their
legislative and judicial history.

Offline roamer_1

Roamer, as you surely know, our only free market Party was our Southern Agrarian &
Rural Democrats; unfortunately fatally tarred by slavery and destroyed by the Civil War.
After that conflict, the Republicans, a northern Merchant Party, became the water boys
for industrial capitalism, whether the form be monopoly or oligopoly.
During their 75 year ascendancy, until Hoover, they set the economic tone and temperament
for the USA which largely persists to this very moment.
Despite their claims, that party has never supported free market capitalism given their
legislative and judicial history.

@Absalom
That is almost perfectly true - The exception being of course, the Conservative wing of the Republican party featuring Goldwater and Reagan, which has always stood for Conservatism, and free-market capitalism as enshrined in the principles of fiscal conservatism.

The back east big money Republicans have always veered leftward ala George/Mitt Romney, and have always favored capital cronyism tied to left wing social constructs. The moderates ala Geo HW/ Geo W Bush, McAin't, Graham and etc take the cronyism of their left and mate it to global reach, wrapped in pseudo-conservatism (kinder-gentler).

As to the OP, I would LOVE to see Google torn apart. I ain't much for monopolies.... One of a very few things wherein I would support market intrusion. But with the left, Republican left, or Republican moderates at the helm, I doubt it will be done.

One can only hope for the ascension of the Goldwater/Reagan wing to power. So don't hold your breath... Still there is a certain titillation to be had, seeing it in print.  happy77

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 02:49:55 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Absalom

@Absalom
That is almost perfectly true - The exception being of course, the Conservative wing of the Republican party featuring Goldwater and Reagan, which has always stood for Conservatism, and free-market capitalism as enshrined in the principles of fiscal conservatism.
The back east big money Republicans have always veered leftward ala George/Mitt Romney, and have always favored capital cronyism tied to left wing social constructs. The moderates ala Geo HW/ Geo W Bush, McAin't, Graham and etc take the cronyism of their left and mate it to global reach, wrapped in pseudo-conservatism (kinder-gentler).
As to the OP, I would LOVE to see Google torn apart. I ain't much for monopolies.... One of a very few things wherein I would support market intrusion. But with the left, Republican left, or Republican moderates at the helm, I doubt it will be done.
One can only hope for the ascension of the Goldwater/Reagan wing to power. So don't hold your breath... Still there is a certain titillation to be had, seeing it in print.  happy77
Roamer, on the mark.
Yet for that transformation to occur, the Republicans (and all parties) would have to
abandon politics and embrace principles; which sadly is a bridge way too far for them.
Since the Enlightenment and the rise of Capitalism, Man been engulfed in material
betterment; his consuming interest being a fat wallet.
The consequences of this focus has been on full display for the last century, most
prominently in the so called "ART" we produce!!!!!

Offline roamer_1

Roamer, on the mark.
Yet for that transformation to occur, the Republicans (and all parties) would have to
abandon politics and embrace principles; which sadly is a bridge way too far for them.
Since the Enlightenment and the rise of Capitalism, Man been engulfed in material
betterment; his consuming interest being a fat wallet.
The consequences of this focus has been on full display for the last century, most
prominently in the so called "ART" we produce!!!!!

I think it has gone beyond mere capitalism, and the hardy sort of materialism that used to describe the American market... I was just using a little cast iron apple processor today... Shove the apple on, and it peels, cores, and circular-slices the apple to where a few vertical cuts through the finish product make it ready for the mason jar.

It comes to mind as yesterday, for the first time I can recall, I took it completely apart, giving some care to the moving parts and sharpening the cutting parts...

I am telling you @Absalom , it may not be a work of art in the Grecian sense, but that thing has been going since the 30s or 40s I'd reckon, and I would imagine it will still be processing apples long after I am dead and buried. What a marvelous, magnificent tool.

It is now back to something resembling its original specs... all cleaned and shined, with a spanky new coat of bright red paint on the cast iron base and arm. A whole nother thing from the temporary satisfaction of the chunked and formed Big Mac market we live in today.

In that aspect, I have every respect for early American products and markets. A good thing made right, that lasts a lifetime is nothing to sneeze at.

Offline Blutarsky

• Please help trapped under Area 51
    • The vaccine is ready for the gullible drones

7 Min Read

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tech-antitrust-google/u-s-says-google-breakup-may-be-needed-to-end-violations-of-antitrust-law-idUSKBN2751OC

Please God let this happen, I need the new companies
Trust no one.....................