Author Topic: Oct Surprise #3: Trump Records Shed New Light on Chinese Business Pursuits  (Read 807 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump Records Shed New Light on Chinese Business Pursuits

As he raises questions about his opponent’s standing with China, President Trump’s taxes reveal details about his own activities there, including a previously unknown bank account.

By Mike McIntire, Russ Buettner and Susanne Craig

Oct. 20, 2020, 7:31 p.m. ET

President Trump and his allies have tried to paint the Democratic nominee, Joseph R. Biden Jr., as soft on China, in part by pointing to his son’s business dealings there.

Senate Republicans produced a report asserting, among other things, that Mr. Biden’s son Hunter “opened a bank account” with a Chinese businessman, part of what it said were his numerous connections to “foreign nationals and foreign governments across the globe.”

But Mr. Trump’s own business history is filled with overseas financial deals, and some have involved the Chinese state. He spent a decade unsuccessfully pursuing projects in China, operating an office there during his first run for president and forging a partnership with a major government-controlled company.

And it turns out that China is one of only three foreign nations — the others are Britain and Ireland — where Mr. Trump maintains a bank account, according to an analysis of the president’s tax records, which were obtained by The New York Times. The foreign accounts do not show up on Mr. Trump’s public financial disclosures, where he must list personal assets, because they are held under corporate names. The identities of the financial institutions are not clear.

The Chinese account is controlled by Trump International Hotels Management L.L.C., which the tax records show paid $188,561 in taxes in China while pursuing licensing deals there from 2013 to 2015.

more
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/20/us/trump-taxes-china.html?smid=tw-share
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The rats are loving this on twitter..

Matt McDermott
@mattmfm
·
5m
This is scandalous.

Kyle Griffin
@kylegriffin1
 Â· 11m
Breaking: New NYT Trump taxes report.

Trump's tax records show that Trump maintains a previously unknown bank account in China. The foreign accounts do not show up on Trump's public financial disclosures because they are held under corporate names.
https://nytimes.com/2020/10/20/us/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline rustynail

Is this turning into yada yada?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Kyle Griffin
@kylegriffin1
·
2m
Trump's plans in China have been largely driven by Trump International Hotels Management — the one with a Chinese bank account.

In 2017, the company reported an unusually large spike in revenue — some $17.5 million, more than the previous five years' combined.
Support the USO

Offline PeteS in CA

A guy who does high-end hotels wanted to have a presence in some of the largest cities in the world? Who'd athunk it? *****rollingeyes*****

And is there such a thing in China as a major business in which the Chinese government is not a part owner? *****rollingeyes*****

Is there a country in the world in which multiple levels of government would not have to approve a major hotel project? *****rollingeyes*****

Trump's tax records show that Trump maintains a previously unknown bank account in China.

Ummmmmm ... am I the only one to recognize the contradiction in that sentence? If the existence of the bank account is noted in the tax returns - in compliance with tax law, BTW - then in isn't "unknown". *****rollingeyes***** Having an account in China is pretty much a prerequisite for doing significant business there. *****rollingeyes***** So of course the relevant Trump-owned corporation would have an account there. *****rollingeyes***** And being a corporate asset, it would be just be part of the value of that corporation in financial disclosures. *****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 01:19:17 am by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
This may be a trivial thing, but... a newspaper with the prestige of the New York Times should know better than to start sentences with conjunctions. "But" and "And" never belong at the beginning of a sentence because their sole purpose is to join two words and phrases and clauses (to quote the late Jack Sheldon in the legendary "Conjunction Junction").
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline corbe

Smells like Desperation
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mountaineer

Thank you, @jmyrlefuller . You've identified one of my pet peeves, along with starting a sentence with, "So ..."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

This is bullcrap. Failure to draw the distinction between his corporate entity and his personal self is purely a fiction and nothing more.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Thank you, @jmyrlefuller . You've identified one of my pet peeves, along with starting a sentence with, "So ..."
:silly:  So...."But wait there's more!" isn't one of your favorites? :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

Re: Oct Surprise #3: Trump Records Shed New Light on Chinese Business Pursuits
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 12:45:41 pm »
"But wait, there's more!" isn't too bad. Reminds me of Al Jolson, "Wait a minute! Wait a minute! You ain't heard nothing yet!"  :laugh:

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 01:54:55 pm »

:silly: Have I ever done a post that didn't poke your pet peeve? :silly:

Formal business writing (e.g. a newspaper article) is quite different from conversational speech, which is usually more informal. This seems to be a human thing rather than peculiar to American English or English generally. My daughter who lives in China has observed it (and probably done it) in street conversations vs. academic contexts in Mandarin. Professional and academic specialties also often have their own sub-vocabulary of words not used in ordinary daily speech.

I don't think Trump looked into doing a hotel in her city in China. It's a medium sized city of a mere 2.25 million people.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 02:00:53 pm »
Yeah well there's a bit of a difference between a private citizen seeking business opportunities abroad and an elected official selling access to his office to foreign players.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 02:35:08 pm »
"But wait, there's more!" isn't too bad. Reminds me of Al Jolson, "Wait a minute! Wait a minute! You ain't heard nothing yet!"  :laugh:
Actually, Ron Popeil! (It also sharpens knives!)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 04:07:52 pm »
:silly: Have I ever done a post that didn't poke your pet peeve? :silly:

Formal business writing (e.g. a newspaper article) is quite different from conversational speech, which is usually more informal.
I have no idea. Although I became a news reporter several years after college, when my editor gave me the AP Style Guide and told me to comply, I did. Now, I understand, the AP Style Guide is more a "whatever is woke suggestion guide," so perhaps all those old rules of grammar are moot.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 04:35:32 pm »
I have no idea. Although I became a news reporter several years after college, when my editor gave me the AP Style Guide and told me to comply, I did. Now, I understand, the AP Style Guide is more a "whatever is woke suggestion guide," so perhaps all those old rules of grammar are moot.

"Old school" stuff like proper spelling and proper grammar are necessary in formal communication like business and news reporting for clarity and readability. People avoiding that common sense understanding has been growing as "a thing" for over half a century (that I know of).

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 04:38:47 pm »
Trump Records Shed New Light on Chinese Business Pursuits

As he raises questions about his opponent’s standing with China, President Trump’s taxes reveal details about his own activities there, including a previously unknown bank account.

By Mike McIntire, Russ Buettner and Susanne Craig

Oct. 20, 2020, 7:31 p.m. ET

President Trump and his allies have tried to paint the Democratic nominee, Joseph R. Biden Jr., as soft on China, in part by pointing to his son’s business dealings there.

Senate Republicans produced a report asserting, among other things, that Mr. Biden’s son Hunter “opened a bank account” with a Chinese businessman, part of what it said were his numerous connections to “foreign nationals and foreign governments across the globe.”

But Mr. Trump’s own business history is filled with overseas financial deals, and some have involved the Chinese state. He spent a decade unsuccessfully pursuing projects in China, operating an office there during his first run for president and forging a partnership with a major government-controlled company.

And it turns out that China is one of only three foreign nations — the others are Britain and Ireland — where Mr. Trump maintains a bank account, according to an analysis of the president’s tax records, which were obtained by The New York Times. The foreign accounts do not show up on Mr. Trump’s public financial disclosures, where he must list personal assets, because they are held under corporate names. The identities of the financial institutions are not clear.

The Chinese account is controlled by Trump International Hotels Management L.L.C., which the tax records show paid $188,561 in taxes in China while pursuing licensing deals there from 2013 to 2015.

more
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/20/us/trump-taxes-china.html?smid=tw-share

This is NOTHING scandalous.  This is partly, WHY POTUS decided to run.  When BUSINESS'S are moved to CHINA...from previous demon-rat presidents....Obama, Clinton, THAT is where business people do business.

The big difference here is, and LEFTS..THE ARTICLE..don't make clear;  ONE ACTIVITY WAS DONE LEGALLY,  (otherwise you would not see reocrds) and one ACTIVITY (BIDEN) WAS CORRUPTION & MONEY LAUNDERING OUR TAX DOLLARS IN UKRAINE, CHINA, elsewhere.

DEMON-RATS RAISE TAXES ON BUSINESS & CORPORATION, so they move to China.  Business can then, make a profit.

I just have to shake my head.  POTUS also has golf course in SCOTLAND.  HE WAS A BUSINESS MAN DOING BUSINESS! 

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 04:43:49 pm »
Yeah well there's a bit of a difference between a private citizen seeking business opportunities abroad and an elected official selling access to his office to foreign players.

Yes. Thank you.  It seems the ARTICLE.....cannot tell the difference between TAX PAYING BUSINESS MAN,  OF RECORD,
with CORRUPTION AND MONEY LAUNDERING OUR TAX DOLLARS  BY BIDENS! 

Again, MEDIA has a problem with the word,  LEGAL....OR ILLEGAL.    888high58888