Author Topic: Feral hog shot dead in East Idaho  (Read 1893 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Feral hog shot dead in East Idaho
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2020, 02:28:51 pm »
These are different wolves @Bigun

From @roamer_1 "those monsters they brought in from McKenzie River country."

The few we have left down here are grays and reds.  Quite sure they aren't like those "McKenzie River Monsters"  you are talking about.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2020, 02:33:44 pm »
The few we have left down here are grays and reds.  Quite sure they aren't like those "McKenzie River Monsters"  you are talking about.

Macs get big. And despite what you've been told, they kill for sport.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2020, 02:36:58 pm »
Macs get big. And despite what you've been told, they kill for sport.

A fair pack will take out a whole herd of elk in a couple hours, just for fun. Sometimes I think that's why they put em here.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2020, 02:43:20 pm »
It is the fist "city" lit by atomic power. My son, grandson, and a friend are over there right now deer hunting. Spotted a huge atypical Muley yesterday. Gonna see if they can get him today. My wife told him to make sure he name dropped to the surrounding farmers. They'll give him permission to hunt.

Good luck to the hunters!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2020, 02:45:30 pm »
A fair pack will take out a whole herd of elk in a couple hours, just for fun. Sometimes I think that's why they put em here.

They put them here because they are stupid effs.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2020, 02:47:02 pm »
Good luck to the hunters!

I hope they have some. My grandson is now eleven. Time to really learn some things.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2020, 02:48:48 pm »
They put them here because they are stupid effs.

Kinda like the salmon run being gone... now the elk are being decimated... The ability of folks to live off the land up in here is becoming questionable. That may not be 'stupid' after all.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2020, 02:49:16 pm »
I'm trying to get up the want to go fishing. 50 degrees with a wind.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2020, 02:51:04 pm »
Kinda like the salmon run being gone... now the elk are being decimated... The ability of folks to live off the land up in here is becoming questionable. That may not be 'stupid' after all.

No, yeah, their Agenda is a vagenda. Still stupid.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2020, 02:52:32 pm »
I immediately thought of you when I saw the headline, @bigheadfred.  I knew you are in Idaho Falls....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2020, 03:48:55 pm »
We have a smaller subspecies of the gray wolf - the Eastern Timber Wolf - in the area around my north woods cabin in Wisconsin.  The DNR states the population as between 900-1,000.  It is considerably more, I'm certain.  They are very unpopular with the locals.

We are also lousy with black bear.  They don't cause too many problems but I had some bees establish themselves inside the walls of my little cabin.  The bear just ripped off the heavy siding.  Then, my boys left a roll of chew in the cubby of a John Deere Gator overnight.  Bear ripped the seats to shreds as they worked to get to the Cope.

Back in the day my little cabin was built as a horse barn for a team of horses.  The bachelor who built it used poles and timber from the hardwoods to rough it out.  It is small, but cool.  I put a loft in it and I sleep better there than anyplace on the planet.

John Steinbeck

Online roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2020, 04:12:23 pm »
We have a smaller subspecies of the gray wolf - the Eastern Timber Wolf - in the area around my north woods cabin in Wisconsin.  The DNR states the population as between 900-1,000.  It is considerably more, I'm certain.  They are very unpopular with the locals.

We have/had similar... The Rocky Mountain Timber Wolf is a subspecies of the grey wolf, but a far cry from the true gray wolves they brought in here. Smaller, with small pack units, gangley and elusive... I spent a few quality summers way back in the sticks tracking and observing them. One of my favorite animals here... and now they are likely gone... The bigger wolves no doubt taking territory and females from the lesser natives.

They figured it out after the fact, that there was a valid subspecies here... But everybody just shrugs it off.

Quote from: Wikipedia
The Northern Rocky Mountain Wolf Recovery Plan was first approved in 1980, though it was then revised later on in 1987. The plan required a certain population of northern Rocky Mountain wolves to reside in the area inside and around Yellowstone, which included at least ten breeding pairs, and for the population to remain stable for at least three consecutive years.[13][14] However, the northern Rocky Mountain wolf was not, at the time of the initial drafting, recognized as a legitimate subspecies, so the wolves involved in the plan were instead the Mackenzie Valley wolf.[15][/b]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Rocky_Mountain_wolf

We are also lousy with black bear.  They don't cause too many problems but I had some bees establish themselves inside the walls of my little cabin.  The bear just ripped off the heavy siding.  Then, my boys left a roll of chew in the cubby of a John Deere Gator overnight.  Bear ripped the seats to shreds as they worked to get to the Cope.

We've got plenty of blacks and griz. Blacks are right down on the valley floor, but as a rule, with a few incursions, the griz tend to stay up the hill.

Fencing with cattle panels and big mountain dogs tend to keep em off the live stock, but sheep and goats don't tend to make it very long up in the hills, so it's mostly cattle country. Hill folks tend to have bulletproof chicken coops and hives protected with cattle panels and electric wire... and everything but cattle and horses tend to be brought in at night to reinforced barnyards where dogs can short patrol.

Back in the day my little cabin was built as a horse barn for a team of horses.  The bachelor who built it used poles and timber from the hardwoods to rough it out.  It is small, but cool.  I put a loft in it and I sleep better there than anyplace on the planet.

Aw man... that sounds like heaven to me. Trying with all I got to get back to something similar.
 :beer: :seeya:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:16:09 pm by roamer_1 »

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2020, 12:38:28 pm »
@bigheadfred

How did the hunters do?
John Steinbeck

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2020, 12:44:52 pm »
@bigheadfred

How did the hunters do?

Close but no cigar. Could have gotten a small buck but passed. There is still time.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2020, 01:02:38 pm »
Close but no cigar. Could have gotten a small buck but passed. There is still time.

For the game hunter, there is always tomorrow.
John Steinbeck