Author Topic: ‘Guy’s got a hit squad’: Meet the computer repair shop owner at center of Hunter Biden scandal  (Read 5036 times)

Online DB

I imagine a larger shop would have enough server drive space for a hundred images, and tape backup to boot.  I have a chron-job set up to roll weekly backups of the TBR database, and it housecleans files older than 30 days.  I should probably set up daily incrementals....

But yeah, the physical drive is the weakest link and probably caused the crash that drove the customer to you in the first place.  The fewer reads from that train wreck, the better, so one raw copy, then put it away safe after making your first working copy.  BTW, I am really lovin' this SSD I have in my newest machine.  Boots in seconds.

SSD is awesome. One thing though. Leaving a well used SSD drive sitting for long periods unpowered can degrade to the point of failure. That type of memory typically stores multiple bits of data per cell. The cells slowly discharge. The more bits per cell the less it has to discharge to damage the data. The more writes to that cell the faster it discharges. When powered the cells that are weak can be detected and rewritten to refresh the charge. When unpowered they can drift off to the point of lost data.

Generally mechanical hard drives can sit a long time unpowered without any issue. The worst that usually happens is the spindle/platters gets stuck and that isn't hard to get unstuck.

Offline LegalAmerican

TBR is not an echo chamber. Please post on-topic.
????  I was taking about the ARTICLE SITE.....not this site. SIGH.  I don't even know what you mean, by echo chamber. 

Online roamer_1

I imagine a larger shop would have enough server drive space for a hundred images, and tape backup to boot.  I have a chron-job set up to roll weekly backups of the TBR database, and it housecleans files older than 30 days.  I should probably set up daily incrementals....

I think the bullpen is 4 x4T in a raid - Everything else in that box is not raided, but images nowadays are getting fat. It ain't like a selective incremental image that doesn't care about free  space and all... this is RAW copy, so they get big. I have been known to stack beyond that too, but generally 16T is enough.

The problem then becomes backup, which also has to be big, and blowing an average 2T file across the LAN to backup sucks a whole lot of bandwidth when the backup comes on. A lot of times I can feel it hit, because my TV stream starts getting pinched. But that's the worst part, is that for every inch of the bullpen I have, I need just as much room somewhere else.

That somewhere else currently is my net facing box, because it is the only other rig I have that can carry enough drives and still do other things.

And I am fixin to go up on all of it again to handle more weight. It SUCKS jacking up 8 drives at a time. and that's Just for the images... recovery stuff is more yet.

But yeah, the physical drive is the weakest link and probably caused the crash that drove the customer to you in the first place.  The fewer reads from that train wreck, the better, so one raw copy, then put it away safe after making your first working copy. 

That's right... Sometimes I have to work it more than once. I have different routines to get that raw image, and some are harder on the drive than others... The ones that beat it like a 2 dollar mule afford the best result, but I never start with those because usually the drive can't handle too much abuse

BTW, I am really lovin' this SSD I have in my newest machine.  Boots in seconds.

I know right? Probably the single best add0on to any modern(ish) system is an SSD system drive. Probably about even with RAM for performance gain. I love watching a client's eyebrows shoot up when they first get on a box I've jacked up with an SSD. Always satisfying.

I am fixin to have some fun... I found a drive cage that replaces (fits in) where the DVD goes on my laptop. I use a large form laptop most of the time, but since I went SSD, the laptop does not have enough storage on board. So I am fixin to shove an extra 2T PATA drive into it. Putting bluetooth in while I have it apart too.

Too bad I can't get a lit KB....  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline dancer

YEP. And it's everywhere. But that's how a redneck boy gets nice things. I'll go buy a box of crap at an auction, or go pickin in garbage cans and yards... Bring it home and fix it... Small engine stuff is a perfect example. I seldom have money in fixing a lawn mower or garden tractor... Usually, just take it apart and clean it. Same in pneumatic tools... Same in about everything. And that lawn mower I hauled away for nothing is for sale for $200 bucks. Right now it's snow blowers. Trying to build up a stock, because on the first snow, they'll be worth a mint.

It was busted when I got it, so what is there to lose? And normally, I don't lose.  :laugh:
How is that snow blower stash going?  I see you're getting snow today!   happy77

Online roamer_1

How is that snow blower stash going?  I see you're getting snow today!   happy77

Nah. not yet. Might get something serious tomorrow. But, it won't stay around. It'll turn the rain on Monday and Tuesday so all the snow will go away. However, I seriously believe the mountains will be white

:beer:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
SSD is awesome. One thing though. Leaving a well used SSD drive sitting for long periods unpowered can degrade to the point of failure. That type of memory typically stores multiple bits of data per cell. The cells slowly discharge. The more bits per cell the less it has to discharge to damage the data. The more writes to that cell the faster it discharges. When powered the cells that are weak can be detected and rewritten to refresh the charge. When unpowered they can drift off to the point of lost data.

Generally mechanical hard drives can sit a long time unpowered without any issue. The worst that usually happens is the spindle/platters gets stuck and that isn't hard to get unstuck.

That makes sense about the volatility of the SSD, compared to disks.  Thumb drives have that issue to, I suspect. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DB

That makes sense about the volatility of the SSD, compared to disks.  Thumb drives have that issue to, I suspect.

Yes they do. So do SD cards. Learned that the hard way in a product we sell... The product boots and runs from an SD card image. Customers that bought spares and didn't use the spare for a couple of years installed them and they wouldn't boot... That's a pretty bad problem to have unexpectedly...

So for all those who keep important pictures and the like lying around on SD cards, beware.

Online roamer_1

So for all those who keep important pictures and the like lying around on SD cards, beware.

FACTS. Use mechanical drives for long storage - better than anything else currently available, to include CD/DVD/BLU.

Probably best is live distributed backup... The 'cloud' as it were, for wont of a better term.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
SSD's are so much better than hard drives, its hard to consider going back to a hard drive.  Makes an old computer purr like a tuned up race car.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Online mountaineer

Sharyl Attkisson  @SharylAttkisson
I personally know of several stories of people trying to give info to FBI/authorities in the last couple of years -- only to learn the FBI/authorities didn't want it and/or even treated the person bringing the info as if he/she were the criminal suspect.
Adam Housley  @adamhousley
 Â· 9h
Think about this. John Paul coulda gone to the media. He didn’t. He coulda sold the laptops. He didnt. He and his dad spent months trying to just give them to authorities. That was one year ago. One. Year. Ago.
11:39 PM · Oct 17, 2020·
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I personally know of several stories of people trying to give info to FBI/authorities in the last couple of years -- only to learn the FBI/authorities didn't want it and/or even treated the person bringing the info as if he/she were the criminal suspect.11:39 PM · Oct 17, 2020·

Scandals have come and gone since the inception of the FBI.  Never thought I would see them fall into such a state of criminality themselves.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I personally know of several stories of people trying to give info to FBI/authorities in the last couple of years -- only to learn the FBI/authorities didn't want it and/or even treated the person bringing the info as if he/she were the criminal suspect.11:39 PM · Oct 17, 2020·

@mountaineer

I have no trouble at all believing that.

What people need to consider is that Feebs are basically bureaucrats,and the one thing bureaucrats have drummed into their skulls early in their career is that if they WANT a career with the FBI or any other government agency,ALL decisions come down from the top.

If you make waves and interfere with plans management has or is working on,knowingly or not,you are a "troublemaker".

This means,when YOU,Joe Citizen,with no known connections to anyone important,walks into a Feeb field office,you are going to be talking with one of the very junior employees who got stuck with that job BECAUSE he has no experience and nobody else wants to do it. His or her job will be to say stuff like "Yessir! That sounds very serious to me,and we will certainly look into it, Thank you for coming!",and send you on your way and then file a report on the interview whose primary purpose is to cover his ass.

What is the answer to this problem?

Beats me. I don't have a clue. This is the system beloved by bureaucrats all over the world in every type of government known to man. It is the system they use because it works for THEM.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
When I was 18 years old back in the 60's, FBI Inspector Lewis Erskine would have secretly requested a private interview with  both the POTUS and the Attorney General.

All three would invent a sting to trap the culprits on a reel of tape and then had the bad guys arrested, and convicted.

... all in less than an hour, including commercials. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

Ukrainian lawmaker claims second laptop belonging to Hunter's business contacts in the country has been seized by law enforcement

Andrii Derkach posted to Facebook on Friday to say there is a 'second laptop'
    In the post Derkach says that laptop 'was given to Ukrainian law enforcement'
    'These are not the last witnesses or the last laptop,' he warned in the post 
    Rudy Giuliani, the president's personal lawyer, has said foreign sources did not provide the Hunter Biden emails first reported last week
    Derkach is one of Giuliani's principal contacts; a Treasury Department sanction announcement characterized him as an 'active Russian agent for over a decade'
    Last week, the New York Post published emails and photographs that the outlet claimed were contained on a laptop owned by Hunter Biden
    Messages suggested that Hunter had arranged for a top executive at Burisma to meet his father when he was VP and in charge of US policy with Ukraine

By Lauren Fruen For Dailymail.com
Published: 16:48 EDT, 18 October 2020 | Updated: 17:04 EDT, 18 October 2020

Jesse Kelly  @JesseKellyDC
Far be it from me to judge a man who criss crosses the world pocketing commie cash and ripping lines of booger sugar off
international hookers, but there probably was no need to document it on 95 different laptops.
5:23 PM · Oct 18, 2020·

:silly:

Online mountaineer

EXCLUSIVE: Giuliani Says It’s Reasonable To Worry About Biden’s Allies Potentially Killing People
Daily Caller
 October 17, 2020 11:36 AM ET
New York City — Rudy Giuliani says the computer repair shop owner who provided him with a copy of Hunter Biden’s alleged hard drive made four copies and distributed two to friends “in case he was killed.”

Giuliani, President Donald Trump’s personal attorney, made the comments during an exclusive interview with the Daily Caller’s senior White House correspondent Christian Datoc while describing the timeline of how the copy of Biden’s alleged hard drive came into his possession.

“They gave it to the FBI, the FBI took it,” the former New York City mayor stated. “He told the FBI agent he was afraid of the consequences.” ...

Giuliani claims the hard drive corroborates a tip he received from a confidential informant about a secret meeting between Hunter Biden and former Deputy Secretary of State Tony Blinken at the State Department that violates the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA). In total, he claims the hard drive includes “six or seven” FARA violations. ...
Full story