Author Topic: ALCS Game Three: A nightmare on Keystone Street  (Read 837 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
ALCS Game Three: A nightmare on Keystone Street
« on: October 14, 2020, 04:22:54 pm »
Jose Altuve isn't the only culprit for the Astros on the brink, just the most obvious---and sad.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2020/10/14/a-nightmare-on-keystone-street/

Jose Altuve, shocked to his haunches
by an unexpected and unlikely
throwing problem.

Now hear this. Especially you, Astroworld. And you, too, anti-Astroworld. Jose Altuve deserves your sympathy and empathy. Not your scorn.

Some of the greatest fielders in the business come up short or falter off line. Much of the time it happens not when they’re doing what they shouldn’t ought to be doing but when they’re doing it the way they’re supposed to be doing.

Baseball’s irrevocable laws include that anything can happen—and usually does. Even and especially in the negative. It doesn’t just happen to men who know better but did what they knew going in might be wrong. It happens to the best in the business, to men who enter trying to do right and end up doing too wrong without even trying.

A six-time All-Star who has at least one Gold Glove on his resume doesn’t premeditate and plot to turn a mostly right battle of the pitchers into a Monty Python’s Flying Circus-like comedy of error and surreality with his team measuring on the wrong end of the laugh-that-you-might-not-weep meter. And landing on the brink of being swept into winter vacation.

Bad enough Altuve had two throws disobey his right arm’s orders in Game Two, especially since one of them might have been tried and convicted on the right side if Astro first baseman Yuli Gurriel had gotten his mitt around instead of in front of the ball, even backhanding to try for it.

But all Altuve did in top of the sixth in Game Three was pick Tampa Bay Rays second baseman Brandon Lowe’s bouncing grounder with vacuum cleaner hands, throw to shortstop Carlos Correa ready to start a double play . . . and watch as though witness to a murder as the ball bounced past Correa, handing the Rays first and second and nobody out.

Altuve might have preferred an on-the-spot assassination over what followed. Opposite-field two-run single. The first sacrifice bunt seen all postseason long, from a team who avoided the bunt like the coronavirus all year long. Back-to-back hit batsmen to re-load the bases and push a run home. A pinch-hit shuttlecock becoming a two-run double.

None of that’s on Altuve. He didn’t surrender those hits or hit those batters. Remember that.

A 5-1 Rays lead—turned a mere 5-2 when Michael Brantley hit a kind of excuse-me solo homer in the bottom of the sixth—wasn’t the way either Altuve or the Astros planned things after Altuve’s one-out solo bomb in the bottom of the first handed the Astros the 1-0 lead that would last exactly four more innings.

The two starting pitchers, Houston’s Jose Urquidy and Tampa Bay’s Ryan Yarbrough, fenced sharply through five full, if you didn’t count Yarbrough’s slightly shaky second (walk, plunk). Urquidy’s harder stuff against Yarbrough’s repertoire of off-speed breakers that have movement enough to avoid being dismissed as slop.

They put the history minded in mind of Casey Stengel’s ancient observation, after the Ol’ Perfesser watched his Yankee craftsman Eddie Lopat duel Brooklyn Dodgers craftsman Preacher Roe in a 1952 World Series game:

Those two fellas certainly make baseball look like a simple game, don’t they? It makes you wonder. You pay all that money to great big fellas with a lot of muscles and straight stomachs who go up there and start swinging. And [Lopat and Roe] give ’em a little of this and a little of that and swindle ’em.

Then Astros manager Dusty Baker got Urquidy the hell out of there right after Altuve’s sad betrayal. He wasn’t going to let his sharp young righthander hang around in case fumble turned into funeral. His Astros had enough problems coming into this postseason in the first place.

Didn’t they manage to survive injuries, inconsistency, sleeping bats, and their sometimes self-amplified status as the Show’s number one bandits, just to sneak into commissioner Rob Manfred’s pandemic-inspired, sixteen-team postseason at all?

Don’t they have enough trouble going what’s now 4-for-24 with runners in scoring position this ALCS and sending not one of them home? Or leaving a combined 31 men on base? Against a collection of Rays known only to themselves and each other—until they get their acrobats, aerialists, jugglers, high-wire walkers, and human cannonballs on at the merest hint of a hard-hit ball?

The last must feel especially as though rubbing it into the usually proud, suddenly hapless Altuve. You can’t blame the man. His teammates and his skipper are probably trying to figure out just how—short of kidnapping—to keep the Rays from turning any more of these games into something straight out Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

For the benefit of Mr. Kite/there will be a show tonight/on trampoline.
The Hendersons will all be there/late of Pablo Fanques Faire/what a scene!
Over men and horses/hoops and garters/lastly through a hogshead of real fire—
in this way, Mr. K will challenge the world!

“Nobody feels worse than Jose, because he takes it very serious and takes it to heart,” said Baker after the game, mindful that Altuve has a history of all but beating himself senseless whenever he hits a slump period. “He’s one of ours, and we’ve all been through this before. Not in this spotlight like this. It hurts us all to see him hurting.”

The Rays’ Mr. K is manager Kevin Cash. He and his Hendersons are challenging the world, indeed. He has his Arozarenas,

Kiermaiers, Margots,

Renfroes, and Wendles going over men, horses, hoops, and garters.

He even had his relief pitcher John Curtiss going through the hogshead of fire in the seventh Tuesday night. Curtiss took a

lunging leap to his right to spear Gurriel’s high bouncer to the third base side of the hill, and threw Gurriel out while springing up from his knees. We do this kinda stuff to ’em all through the picture!

About the only thing Mr. K didn’t have in the repertoire was his stout reliever Diego Castillo choosing the bottom of the ninth to form his own escape trap. Starting with a swinging strikeout, he walked pinch-hitter Abraham Toro plus George Springer back-to-back.

Then, Castillo struck poor Altuve out on a check swing that may or may not have been a gift from plate umpire Jeff Nelson. The best explanation may have been Altuve leaning so far forward checking his swing that it looked as though his bat nicked across the front of the plate. At minimum, Nelson should have called for help to be absolutely sure.

Maybe it wouldn’t have mattered in the end, but still. And Castillo jammed Brantley into a fist fly to left center that Margot hustled in to grab to end it. The check swing won’t be dissected even a thirty-second as deep as will Altuve’s continuing throwing trouble.

There’s no good time to catch what sports calls the yips—the sudden inability of a ballplayer to execute what he’s been doing blindfolded all his life. And there isn’t always a good explanation for just how and why it happens. Just ask one of the most notorious cases, the only infielder in baseball who beat the yips back successfully while he still had a lot of career left.

“I can feel for Jose. There’s nothing worse in the world,” said Steve Sax, the one-time Los Angeles Dodgers second baseman whose thirty 1983 throwing errors were attributable to the yips—until, he once said, his final conversation with his dying father, when Dad told him it wasn’t a physical or mental block but unexpected lost confidence.

“It’s the most lonely place to be,” Sax continued in a telephone interview. “It’s embarrassing. It’s just awful. I hope he can grasp this as soon as possible because this thing is very simple. It’s right in front of him. So many people are going to say, ‘Oh, Jose, you have a mental block.’ He doesn’t. He has a temporary loss of confidence. It has nothing to do with his mental state. Something triggered him to start questioning his ability, that’s why he’s doing this. When he gets his confidence, this will disappear.”

The only problem is that the Astros’ postseason presence may disappear before Altuve’s problem or the Rays’ flying circus do. But he needed lots of help bringing the Astros to this brink and he got it, too. And exactly half of it wears Rays uniforms.

That goes for both enough Astro fans ready to plant the goat horns into Altuve’s forehead and enough anti-Astro fans proclaiming this, especially, is nothing but Astrogate karma. And don’t even think about killing his father to cure him.
------------------
@Polly Ticks
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Hoodat
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@libertybele
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker
@Wingnut
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 11:36:58 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline dfwgator

Re: ALCS Game Three: A nightmare on Keystone Street
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 04:41:04 pm »
Tampa trying to be the new "City of Champions"?

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 05:13:20 pm »
   Hopefully Altuve can bounce back and save these stro's.  I am still somewhat optimistic even though the odds are astrosnomical (pun intended). 
   Brilliant, @EasyAce how you worked For the Benefit of Mr. Kite into another Masterpiece.  Thanks, again.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 05:15:49 pm »

In watching 50+ years of post season, I can say I have seen more spectacular defensive plays in a series, but never this many great ones.
My hats off the Rays,  better team,  and a team that looks hungry, and playing for destiny.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 05:17:52 pm »
   Hopefully Altuve can bounce back and save these stro's.  I am still somewhat optimistic even though the odds are astrosnomical (pun intended). 
   Brilliant, @EasyAce how you worked For the Benefit of Mr. Kite into another Masterpiece.  Thanks, again.

@EasyAce

I really wished that I had not have said yesterday that "Altuve was channeling his inner Steve Sax".

I wished I hadn't...

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 05:24:13 pm »
@EasyAce

I really wished that I had not have said yesterday that "Altuve was channeling his inner Steve Sax".

I wished I hadn't...

Very puzzling that Altuve grouped 3 E's in 2 games of an ALCS.  Hell this about a half a season of miscues.  These kind of errors have to be due to a distraction, or lack of focus.

In any case, the window of opportunity is closing,  I am guessing Springer and Correa are gone, Verlander won't be back, and the bulk of team a year older. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 05:29:36 pm »
The Astros just look tired, over-all, as a team.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 05:56:36 pm »
It could be!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 05:57:12 pm »
@corbe
How could I resist with the way the Rays played in the field? The only thing missing from their uniforms seemed to be capes.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 05:57:52 pm »
@EasyAce

I wished I hadn't...
@GrouchoTex
If anybody blames you, send them my way. I'll teach them a little lesson in manners.  wink777

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 06:03:12 pm »
Very puzzling that Altuve grouped 3 E's in 2 games of an ALCS.  Hell this about a half a season of miscues.  These kind of errors have to be due to a distraction, or lack of focus.
@catfish1957
Remember---he hadn't had a single throwing error all irregular season long.

If it's not the shot confidence Steve Sax himself talked about, it's always possible something's wrong inside his body even if it isn't immediately painful. Bet on it---when this is over, no matter how it ends, don't be shocked if Altuve undergoes a full physical probe.

In any case, the window of opportunity is closing,  I am guessing Springer and Correa are gone, Verlander won't be back, and the bulk of team a year older.
Springer may well be gone, though GM James Click has said he hopes to re-sign him. Emphasis on "hopes," perhaps.

Correa is arbitration-eligble this winter and doesn't become a free agent until 2021---when Verlander, Roberto Osuna, and Yuli Gurriel also become free agents. The good news: the Astros have some good-looking youth on board and to come. Altuve and Alex Bregman are both signed for a few more years. Things may not be as bleak for them as they appear even if it's possible 2021 becomes a kind of off-year for them.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 06:51:19 pm »
Springer doesn't sound as confident about returning as Click does.
Brantley's house in on the market in Sienna Plantation, southwest of Houston.
Springer lives there, too, but no news on that. (Remember, Brantley and Springer car-pooled and helped a stranded motorist change a flat on the way to the ballpark one day).
I think Kyle Tucker has been slated to be Reddick's replacement.
Leaves Bregman and Altuve with 4 and 6 years left on their contracts.
Correa and Gurriel until next year, 2021.
Yordan Alvarez has only 1/2 year in service, so he will be around, and hopefully healthy.
McCullers, Urquidy, and Framber Valdez are pretty solid.
I think Greinke's last year is next year?
So basically, 2 outfielders, a Catcher and a 5th starter needed?
Christain Javier could improve to be that 5th starter.
Not great, but not terrible.
Would love to see Springer stay, of course.