Author Topic: Dear Black Students, Your Freedom Will Not Come From What You Learn in School  (Read 284 times)

rangerrebew

Dear Black Students, Your Freedom Will Not Come From What You Learn in School
Posted Sep. 24, 2020 in Better Conversation

The master’s tools will never dismantle the master’s house.
    Audre Lorde

Dear Black Students:

I understand how frustrating it must be to see all the anti-Blackness in the world now and feel unprepared with the tools you need to fight racism in schools. Schools are normally failing Black kids, so it’s no surprise that they are failing and hurting you now.

Affluent and white students have the most access to the internet, so the remote learning deck is already stacked against you. You probably don’t have a tutor.  Probably, nobody told you about the best websites and apps to supplement your learning.

https://educationpost.org/dear-black-students-your-freedom-will-not-come-from-what-you-learn-in-school/

Offline goatprairie

Audre Lorde:

Dear black students...in this essay I will tell how to make sure that by rejecting western civilization, you will never get ahead.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I understand how frustrating it must be to see all the anti-Blackness in the world now

The world? I thought this was a US thing? Slavery, Jim Crow, police brutality and such...

Racial separatist and supremacist crap.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:35:08 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline skeeter

Audre Lorde:

Dear black students...in this essay I will tell how to make sure that by rejecting western civilization, you will never get ahead.

Which is why their freedom won't come from what they learn in school. Western Civ is very much out of favor in US public schools.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Skeeter wrote:
"Which is why their freedom won't come from what they learn in school. Western Civ is very much out of favor in US public schools."

I have a proposal to make.

Back in the 1960's, down South, when the public schools were integrated, a network of private "segregation academies" sprung up to which parents could send their "kids of no color". I suspect most of them taught from a perspective that Western civilization was central to our nation and well-being. I would also reckon that kids received a fairly orderly education in them. Some of these schools still exist today, although they may now admit a few nonwhite students as well.

I propose that we bring back such academies, with a new mission:
To teach and promote a pointedly Euro-Christian Western Civilization curricula, completely free of political correctness and "woke-ness". Essentially, how many (most?) kids were taught in the 1940's and early 50's. With traditional classroom discipline, and a requirement of testing and performance to continue enrollment.

Perhaps a number of such schools already exist.
There are some private boarding schools here in CT, certainly very pricey I'm sure, but I wonder to what degree their teaching just mirrors that of the public schools (but with a bit more academic rigor and discipline).

We need affordable academies that teach "the old time way"...