Author Topic: Postal Worker Caught Dumping Absentee Ballots – He Gets Arrested And Faces Up To 5 Years And $250K  (Read 697 times)

rangerrebew

Postal Worker Caught Dumping Absentee Ballots – He Gets Arrested And Faces Up To 5 Years And $250K Fine
By Ben Dutka|October 8, 2020

As the presidential election draws closer, the topic of mail-in voting gets hotter. Some believe it’s a reliable way to tally votes, while others think it poses a number of serious issues.

President Donald Trump has routinely called out the reliability of absentee balloting, for instance. And many Republicans and Conservatives worry that the system is open to major inaccuracy.

And so long as stories like these keep popping up, right-wing skeptics will continue to have evidence to support their argument.

https://thepatriotjournal.com/worker-dumping-ballots-arrested/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=pjnewsletter

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Disappearing ballots is a far better way to throw elections than stuffing them.

Most people don't even check that their vote was counted, which isn't a very easy task to prove anyway.
The Republic is lost.

Offline verga

nothing to see here, move along.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Applewood

Disappearing ballots is a far better way to throw elections than stuffing them.

Most people don't even check that their vote was counted, which isn't a very easy task to prove anyway.

In my state you get an email confirmation that the ballot was received by the local county election office plus the state has a website where you can track your ballot.  I mailed mine on 9/28 and was told it was "received and recorded" on 9/30.

Now "recording" the vote doesn't mean it has been or will be counted.  There are several lawsuits pending contesting the mail-in ballot system here.  If these suits are successful, mail-in ballots might not be counted.  That concerns me more than these stories of postal workers discarding ballots.

By the way, in-person voting is not necessarily fraud-proof.  A couple of years ago there were machines that for some mysterious reason would not record votes for Republican candidates -- only for Democrats.  "A mechanical malfunction" some official said.  Yeah right.

Online mountaineer

@Applewood  Several years ago, my mother was an Allegheny County poll worker - usually the sole Republican at the polling place. She reported innumerable people showed up and identified themselves falsely, but as long as they were voting Dem, it was okay with the other poll workers and her objections were for nought. For example, 20 year olds would vote as one of their grandparents (probably dead or in nursing homes), and no ID was requested. How many 20 year olds are named Elmer or Myrtle?  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@Applewood i got mine yesterday and deposited it today at the post office. I personally handed it to the clerk. I have a number to call and will start doing so in about a week.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
My wife and I, also my mother vote by absentee ballot, I never trust the postal workers, I personally drop all our ballots into a official county depository. Of course that doesn't mean something shady couldn't happen after that.

Online mountaineer

I generally vote early, which means I go to the courthouse, identify myself, am led to the voting machine by an employee of the county clerk's office, and cast my vote. It's no different from voting on election day except for being a few days earlier.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

I generally vote early, which means I go to the courthouse, identify myself, am led to the voting machine by an employee of the county clerk's office, and cast my vote. It's no different from voting on election day except for being a few days earlier.

I wish PA had that.  Here, early voting is the mail-in/absentee ballot.

I would vote in person, but my polling place was moved from a spacious VFW banquet hall to a cramped church basement with no windows and poor ventilation.  I felt it was just too risky to vote in person. 

I only did mail-in once before -- back in 2008 right after my cardiac arrest.  It was easy and worked out well.    This year, I did as @Gefn did -- took the ballot to the post office and did not rely on the neighborhood mailbox.   The other alternative would have been to drop the ballot off at the county elections office, but that would have required a trip to town on a bus with a bunch of possibly infected passengers.  Might as well vote in person. 

Like I said, I do know my ballot was received.  Whether it will be counted or not depends on the outcome of court cases, but there is always a risk that a vote in person could be "lost" too.  There are risks no matter which method of voting one chooses.  I just figured we should do what's best for ourselves and hope our vote is counted.  Once we vote, it's out of our hands.  No sense fretting over it

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@mountaineer

Whether or not it’s counted is in higher hands than mine. If it isn’t I can go to thr polls on Election Day and use a provisional ballot.

I have an 800 number to call to see if my vote was counted or rejected. If it was rejected then I’ll do the provisional ballot.

I hope you like my avatar. :)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️