Author Topic: DoD looking for a new kind of service member for 2030  (Read 161 times)

rangerrebew

DoD looking for a new kind of service member for 2030
« on: October 08, 2020, 12:59:11 pm »
By Scott Maucione 
October 6, 2020 4:38 pm

In thinking about what the military needs over the next 10 years, the Defense Department is outlining a new strategy around personnel that presents a very different picture of what the populace generally thinks of a service member.

DoD’s Personnel and Readiness Strategy for 2030 cuts an image of a service member working in tandem with a robust IT infrastructure, one who is constantly informed by data and who is surrounded by a diverse cast of highly educated peers.

The picture is a long way from the WWII stereotypes of grunts digging ditches and plodding across rough terrain, though the military still expects its employees to do that as well.

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/defense-main/2020/10/dod-looking-for-a-new-kind-of-service-member-for-2030/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: DoD looking for a new kind of service member for 2030
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 01:35:40 pm »
By Scott Maucione 
October 6, 2020 4:38 pm

In thinking about what the military needs over the next 10 years, the Defense Department is outlining a new strategy around personnel that presents a very different picture of what the populace generally thinks of a service member.

DoD’s Personnel and Readiness Strategy for 2030 cuts an image of a service member working in tandem with a robust IT infrastructure, one who is constantly informed by data and who is surrounded by a diverse cast of highly educated peers.

@rangerrebew

Translation: "We foresee a future army where the ignorant cannon fodder we send out to the front lines are micro-managed by intellectually superior geeks who graduated from our service academies,who are sitting safe in the rear and who will be unaffected by the emotional distractions of cannon and gun fire,and the bleeding and screaming of the wounded."

JUST what the army needs,geeks with no combat experience or knowledge,micro-managing their every battlefield move.

What could POSSIBLY go wrong with such a plan?

The ONLY people who should EVER be involved with running a ground battle are the people on the freaking ground and fighting the GD battle!

The REMF's need to remain concerned with REMF stuff,like wearing red and marching in a straight line,spit shined boots and crisply starched and knife-creased fatigue uniforms,and leave soldiering to soldiers,the actual people who do the actual fighting and dying.

I feel VERY strongly about this,and always have since I heard a asshat with stars micromanaging the battle for Hamburger Hill in VN. The SOB was looking for another star from "leading the battle from above" in his command helicopter,and what got ME involved can be seen and heard in the movie. He is berating a young and inexperienced private on the radio who is the only survivor of his section,and calling for help over a dead man's radio. This was on the second or third assault up the mountain side against dug-in hard-core NVA troops. The General was screaming at this poor Private ,who was terrified and crying,to "get your shit together and continue the assault",while threatening him with court-martial for cowardice if he didn't.

That was when  I used MY radio from our remote location in Laos,to suggest to the General that he land his fat,comfortable,cowardly ass on that mountain,and personally lead the charge,since he knew so much about what needs to be done,and reminded him that ANY coward can talk shit from 5 thousand feet above where the bullets are flying.

He got hysterical,shouting "Who is this? Who is this? I will have you court-martialed!,etc,etc,etc.,and it got worse when I answered him with,"You don't know,do you,you cowardly F&*k"?

He pretty much lost it after that,and got hysterical,focusing entirely on who was the enlisted scum insulting him,and forgetting about micro-managing the battle.

I finally stopped when "Dusty",the flying USAF command post  during the day broke in on my push and told me to stop,while laughing. He knew where I was and who,in a generic sense,I was,so I did. The point was made by then. Evidentially he never told anyone because I never heard any blowback on it.

I was surprised when the movie came out and this was a part of it. Evidentially there were a few people from the 101st (I THINK that is who it was,but can't remember) listening in on their radios,and silently cheering me on.

That battle finally ended after the US forces took the hill,and then they pretty much immediately left it,and the NVA moved back in. I suppose the blew up a bunch of bunkers and tunnels while they were there,but the NVA built them once,they could easily rebuild them again.

No glory in occupying territory,only in fighting for it.

If Generals want to micro-manage a battle on the ground,let them BE ON the freaking ground,leading the damn charges. If they are not willing to do that,then they need to STFU and let the people who are doing the fighting figure out the best way to do it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 01:55:36 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!