Author Topic: New To The Board  (Read 9997 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: New To The Board
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2020, 01:17:34 am »
Don't laugh too hard. Were I any younger I might just take you up on that... And I might still on a double-dog dare. I worked a while on building an iceboat... which would be the semi-sane way of doing that... Never really got it finished before I needed to part it back out for the aluminum struts, so I didn't kill myself with it... yet.  :laugh:
I have thought about that for Lake Sakakawea, too, but then, I have seen the pressure ridges that form on the lake, and the thought of slamming into one of those at 80+ and endo-ing down to Newtown just doesn't appeal... :beer: :laugh:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2020, 01:37:50 am »
I have thought about that for Lake Sakakawea, too, but then, I have seen the pressure ridges that form on the lake, and the thought of slamming into one of those at 80+ and endo-ing down to Newtown just doesn't appeal... :beer: :laugh:

Sounds like an episode of Ice Road Truckers!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2020, 07:32:16 am »
Sounds like an episode of Ice Road Truckers!
I have only driven out on the lake a short distance in a very cold year. I worked on an oil rig on the south side of the lake back in the 90s, however, and the hands and service/supply personnel routinely drove a couple of miles across the lake rather than make the entire 140 mile round trip by land, cutting their mileage and time on the road after working 12 hour shifts in half. The route was mapped out, marked with pin flags, and holes drilled in the ice to check thickness. One drill bit salesman drove a 1 ton across the lake to location, with a load of drill bits in the back (figure at least a ton besides the weight of the truck).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2020, 03:20:51 pm »
The Ice Pilots series occasionally showed Buffalo Airways using frozen lake landing strips to make cargo deliveries with their DC-3s, C-46s, and Electras (NWT and Nunavut in Canada).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2020, 09:08:46 pm »
The Ice Pilots series occasionally showed Buffalo Airways using frozen lake landing strips to make cargo deliveries with their DC-3s, C-46s, and Electras (NWT and Nunavut in Canada).
In serious winter (subzero temps) Ice houses appear all over for fishing, with half a dozen trucks parked around some of the larger ones.

Me, well, let's just say I have a phobia about being submerged below the ice in freezing water, in a vehicle to boot. I know it is fairly safe, and that the rare ones who do go through the ice do so because they were driving on it in warmer weather as a rule.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2020, 03:10:39 am »
I have only driven out on the lake a short distance in a very cold year. I worked on an oil rig on the south side of the lake back in the 90s, however, and the hands and service/supply personnel routinely drove a couple of miles across the lake rather than make the entire 140 mile round trip by land, cutting their mileage and time on the road after working 12 hour shifts in half. The route was mapped out, marked with pin flags, and holes drilled in the ice to check thickness. One drill bit salesman drove a 1 ton across the lake to location, with a load of drill bits in the back (figure at least a ton besides the weight of the truck).

It's fairly common to drive on the lakes here... If not with a truck, certainly with a snow machine. They used to lay track on Whitefish Lake in the winter, because it so shortened the route to the forests that winter is when they made their profits... But then there is said to be a whole train laying at the bottom somewhere... So it is not a fair defense of the idea.