Author Topic: Is a Child of Non-U.S. Citizens a “natural born Citizen?”  (Read 714 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Post & Email 10/5/2020

WHAT ROLE, IF ANY, DOES IMMIGRATION PLAY?

The Twitter account @kancelkamala, also identifying itself as “@kamalakancel,” on Sunday released new images depicting what appears to be an April 1965 application completed by vice-presidential candidate Kamala Harris’s mother for “nonimmigrant visitor” status in the United States.

While it is widely known that Kamala was born in Oakland, CA on October 20, 1964, questions have arisen as to her constitutional eligibility to serve as vice president under the 12th Amendment or president under the U.S. Constitution’s Article II “natural born Citizen” clause.

Following @kancelkamala’s Sunday-evening release of the immigration documents are two images representing as many timelines in Shyamala Gopalan Harris’s life years after she arrived in the United States in 1958 on a student “nonimmigrant” visa to attend the University of California at Berkeley.  According to the Twitter account, Gopalan Harris’s actions over the years extending her stay and utilizing different names amounted to “immigration fraud.”

Gopalan Harris later applied for “permanent legal resident” status only to abandon that effort by accepting a position in Canada to work as a cancer researcher for approximately 16 years.

To reenter the United States in 1985, the images show, a then-21-year-old Kamala Harris would apply for an “immigrant visa” on her mother’s behalf, identifying herself as a U.S. citizen “through birth in the U.S.,” but not “through parents.”

Born in India on April 7, 1938, Gopalan Harris does not appear to have become a U.S. citizen at any point in her life.  She originally arrived in the United States in September 1958 to pursue her Master’s degree in Nutrition at Berkeley on a scholarship and completed a Ph.D. in Physiology and Nutrition from the same institution in 1964.

More: https://www.thepostemail.com/2020/10/05/is-a-child-of-non-u-s-citizens-a-natural-born-citizen/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Is a Child of Non-U.S. Citizens a “natural born Citizen?”
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 02:17:04 am »

Is a Child of Non-U.S. Citizens a “natural born Citizen?”

Absolutely not!  Next question.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 08:34:10 am »
NOPE!  **nononono*

Otherwise, people could pop in from all over the globe, drop the kid, and claim they could be POTUS.

Vattel was pretty well succinct on the topic, a child born to citizen parents is a Natural Born Citizen.

The anchor baby misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment does not meet that goal.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dancer

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 11:21:34 am »
NOPE!  **nononono*

Otherwise, people could pop in from all over the globe, drop the kid, and claim they could be POTUS.

Vattel was pretty well succinct on the topic, a child born to citizen parents is a Natural Born Citizen.

The anchor baby misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment does not meet that goal.
Given Biden's health issues, she should not be the VP candidate, either.  She should not be in a position to take over the Presidency should Biden die. 

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 11:55:22 am »
A person born in this country is a natural born citizen.  This "rule" was made by our founders to keep people born in other counties coming here and running to be president.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 01:15:22 pm »
A person born in this country is a natural born citizen.  This "rule" was made by our founders to keep people born in other counties coming here and running to be president.

Supreme Court Definition of a Natural Born Citizen.  An article that I read when the subject came up for Ted Cruz on TOS back  in the day.  https://naturalborncitizen.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/minor-v-happersett-is-binding-precedent-as-to-the-constitutional-definition-of-a-natural-born-citizen/

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 01:23:09 pm »

BZZZZZ!!!! WRONG!!!

SCOTUS has never applied the term "natural born citizen" to any other category than “those born in the country of parents who are citizens thereof”

The Venus, 12 U.S. 8 Cranch 253 253 (1814)

The natives or indigenes are those born in the country of parents who are citizens.

Minor v. Happersett , 88 U.S. 162 (1875)

At common law, with the nomenclature of which the framers of the Constitution were familiar, it was never doubted that all children born in a country of parents who were its citizens became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives or natural-born citizens,

United States v. Wong Kim Ark, 169 U.S. 649 (1898)

(A)ll children, born in a country of parents who were its citizens, became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives, or natural-born citizens, as distinguished from aliens or foreigners

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 01:28:38 pm »

There is a difference between citizen and natural born citizen @Victoria33  "Natural born citizen", applicable only to a would be officeholder of the Presidency of the United States, requires the child be born with:  1) right of the soil and 2) right of the blood.

#1 requires being born on US soil and #2 requires being born of two parents who are each a citizen of the United States at the time of the child's birth.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 12:03:12 am »
The issue (and it's an important one) has yet to be settled with certainty.

"Certainty" means either:
1. A ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court that explicitly interprets what a "natural born citizen" either is, or is not,
or
2. A Constitutional amendment that unequivocally defines the meaning of the term.

But a word of warning:
If Ms. Harris is not "natural born", then cannot the same be said of Ted Cruz?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 12:10:10 am »
The issue (and it's an important one) has yet to be settled with certainty.

"Certainty" means either:
1. A ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court that explicitly interprets what a "natural born citizen" either is, or is not,
or
2. A Constitutional amendment that unequivocally defines the meaning of the term.

But a word of warning:

@Fishrrman SCOTUS has done that on at least three separate occasions (see my post above) and it's perfectly clear to me.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada to an American citizen mother and an alien father.  Not eligible to run for presiedent or vice president.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 01:18:13 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 04:57:15 am »

But a word of warning:

Ted fits in this category:

Sec. 301. [8 U.S.C. 1401] The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:

(g) a person born outside the geographical limits of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents one of whom is an alien, and the other a citizen of the United States who, prior to the birth of such person, was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than five years, at least two of which were after attaining the age of fourteen years.  (Ted's mother meets this )

... "natural born" ?  Not any less than Obama was.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 11:33:11 am »
I hope never to see another article from thepostemail.com outside of Alternate Realities ever again.

Birtherism is bullcrap.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 01:13:16 pm »
I hope never to see another article from thepostemail.com outside of Alternate Realities ever again.

Birtherism is bullcrap.

I'll tell you what's bullcrap!  Not paying attention to and following the constitution to the letter is bullcrap! And it's easy to see where that has gotten us.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 02:38:06 pm »
I'll tell you what's bullcrap!  Not paying attention to and following the constitution to the letter is bullcrap! And it's easy to see where that has gotten us.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis