Author Topic: Atlantic: Trump Secretly Mocks His Christian Supporters  (Read 816 times)

Offline mountaineer

Atlantic: Trump Secretly Mocks His Christian Supporters
« on: September 29, 2020, 04:23:55 pm »
The Atlantic tries again. First, the lie about mocking dead soldiers, now this:
Trump Secretly Mocks His Christian Supporters
Former aides say that in private, the president has spoken with cynicism and contempt about believers.
McKay Coppins
5:00 AM ET

...   The president’s alliance with religious conservatives has long been premised on the contention that he takes them seriously, while Democrats hold them in disdain. In speeches and interviews, Trump routinely lavishes praise on conservative Christians, casting himself as their champion. “My administration will never stop fighting for Americans of faith,” he declared at a rally for evangelicals earlier this year. It’s a message his campaign will seek to amplify in the coming weeks as Republicans work to confirm Amy Coney Barrett—a devout, conservative Catholic—to the Supreme Court.

But in private, many of Trump’s comments about religion are marked by cynicism and contempt, according to people who have worked for him. Former aides told me they’ve heard Trump ridicule conservative religious leaders, dismiss various faith groups with cartoonish stereotypes, and deride certain rites and doctrines held sacred by many of the Americans who constitute his base. ...
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-secretly-mocks-his-christian-supporters/616522/

*****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

Re: Atlantic: Trump Secretly Mocks His Christian Supporters
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 04:27:22 pm »
Former aides say .  .  .

Former aides lie.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 06:07:29 pm »
Former aides lie.

:amen:

I really don't care if Trump likes me or mocks me as long as he keeps fighting for the things I believe in.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 06:18:36 pm »
"According to high level officials Trump eats babies for breakfast."
"According to sources in the inner circle, Trump is a Satanist and prays to the devil every day."
"Sources in the White House admit that Trump speaks fluent Russian and pays them in Rubles."
"Unnamed sources verify that Trump wears a Nazi uniform when he is off camera."

I could do this all day. Dammit! Why am I not making a million dollars at The Atlantic!?
I can do what they do better than them.
In light of that, I claim copyright over all these accusations. If I see them in print tomorrow I will sue!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 06:21:02 pm »
It seems odd, then, that devout evangelical Christian Mike Pence has lasted this long as VP - and wants four more years of it.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 06:30:34 pm »
Yawn. Is there anyone, besides brainstem leftwing dead enders, who doesn't get the picture by now?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 06:34:24 pm »
C'mon Atlantic.  Is that the best you can do? 

That is thin. Thinner than mule piss on a flat rock.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 06:35:57 pm by Wingnut »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 06:36:15 pm »
C'mon Atlantic.  Is that the best you can do?

Yes. Think of it as the Atlantic's version of the NYT howling about Trump paying only the taxes the government says he owes.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 06:40:07 pm »
The Atlantic is no more credible than Mad Magazine. No religious Christian would read it.
The only people who read that trash are far-Left braindead zombies who would never vote for Trump anyway.

The Atlantic Exclusive: BREAKING
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 09:11:54 pm »
It seems odd, then, that devout evangelical Christian Mike Pence has lasted this long as VP - and wants four more years of it.

I shook hands with John Pence yesterday.  He's cool with Trump.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 10:02:22 pm »
Quote from: the article
    But in private, many of Trump’s comments about religion are marked by cynicism and contempt, according to people who have worked for him. Former aides told me they’ve heard Trump ridicule conservative religious leaders, dismiss various faith groups with cartoonish stereotypes, and deride certain rites and doctrines held sacred by many of the Americans who constitute his base. ...

I actually have no problem believing this... His grasp of the Christian religion is shallow, and everyone knows it. But outside of the accusation of pandering (which I think is blatantly true) his performance for Christians, the baubles he has secured and given to them, for many is more than satisfactory, and far more than Republicans have delivered in a long time, and that combined.

In that, the accusation of pandering will fall largely upon deafened ears. Them like me, who find his performance to be inadequate and his pandering offensive were not going to be swayed anyway. But none of those votes translate to liberal votes either - People with strong Christian convictions won't be voting for democrats no matter what, anymore than they would vote for Tump - Their position being farther to the right than Tump can assuage, and therefore completely out of the reach of Democrats too.

Offline dancer

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 12:26:35 am »
Fake News, as usual.  Can't remember her name, but the owner of the Atlantic was a huge supporter of Hillary Clinton.  She gave $12 million to her campaign, iirc.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 01:12:35 am »
Memo to The Atlantic:

When you're in a hole, quit digging.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 03:03:45 am »
Memo to The Atlantic:

When you're in a hole, quit digging.
They have a long ways to go and it aint called a hole in the ocean.

At 35,814 feet below sea level, its bottom is called the Challenger Deep — the deepest point known on Earth.

I have no doubt The Atlantic will be going for a new record before they are through.

Offline verga

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 03:22:06 pm »
BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 08:04:59 pm »
In other news:

CNN Reports Amy Coney Barrett Attended Bizarre Ceremony Where She Ate Flesh, Drank Blood Of Jewish Guy

888high58888

###########################

1. After The Atlantic's WW1 cemetery claim got Swift-Debunked by 20-30 people who were with Trump at the time, on the record, any Gotcha-Trump claims from The Atlantic are non-credible.

2. Trump chose at least three Evangelical Christians to be in the Presidential line of succession, VP Pence being one. Then there's spokesperson Sarah Sanders, Funny things to do if Trump disdains Evangelical Christians.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 08:06:39 pm »
Did the Jewish dude keep kosher? 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 08:06:43 pm »
Fake News, as usual.  Can't remember her name, but the owner of the Atlantic was a huge supporter of Hillary Clinton.  She gave $12 million to her campaign, iirc.

IIRC, Steve Jobs' widow, through some sort of foundation.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 08:11:00 pm »
The Atlantic tries again. First, the lie about mocking dead soldiers, now this:https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-secretly-mocks-his-christian-supporters/616522/

*****rollingeyes*****
The ever popular 'anonymous sources'.

Offline berdie

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2020, 08:18:57 pm »
In other news:

CNN Reports Amy Coney Barrett Attended Bizarre Ceremony Where She Ate Flesh, Drank Blood Of Jewish Guy

It's true! It's true! I was there. I don't exactly remember where it happened or when it happened and I can't tell you who else was there...but it's true!

(Do I get my book deal now?)

Offline dancer

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 03:18:12 am »
IIRC, Steve Jobs' widow, through some sort of foundation.
Yep. Thankyou.   888high58888

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 11:44:14 am »
In other news:

Yeah, for some reason my church is doing the same thing this Sunday. Isn't that something?!?  Even more curious, I'm going to be playing something called "Let Us Break Bread Together" on the piano while it's going on. Should be interesting!