Author Topic: NYT: Maybe a little anti-Catholicism is a good thing when it comes to Barrett  (Read 600 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
NYT: Maybe a little anti-Catholicism is a good thing when it comes to Barrett

Ed Morrissey Posted at 10:01 am on September 26, 2020

Just hours before Donald Trump will presumably announce his nomination of Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court, the New York Times pushed out this attempt to rehab attacks on Barrett over her Catholic faith. Give Elizabeth Bruenig this much credit — she manages to front-load the debunking of attacks on Barrett over the false People of Praise/”Handmaid’s Tale” connection. Dianne Feinstein’s comment, “the dogma lives loudly within you, and that’s of concern,” is called infamous.

However, all that is mere predicate to declare attacks on Catholicism fair game in a confirmation hearing, because of its “fundamental conflict” with “the American ethos”:

But the animosity faced by Catholics in today’s America has little in common with its direct predecessor. Real sex-abuse scandals have replaced the imaginary ones circulated in the lurid tracts of yesteryear. White Catholics are no longer subject to the religious bigotry that once animated vicious rumors and, occasionally, violent attacks on Catholics and their places of learning and worship. Rather than regenerating a long-vanquished prejudice, Ms. Barrett’s nomination has merely renewed attention to a fundamental conflict, centuries underway, between Catholicism and the American ethos. …

Roman Catholicism does not readily distinguish between public and private moral obligations. In the thought of John Locke, one of liberalism’s earliest architects, willingness to make that distinction was critical to participation in a tolerant society. “Basically,” the political theorist Jean Bethke Elshtain wrote in a 1999 essay, “Locke drew up a strong civic map with religion within one sphere and government in another. A person could be a citizen of each so long as that citizen never attempted to merge and blend the two.” Locke notably excluded Catholics from the religions meriting toleration because he suspected they could not be trusted to leave their faith in the appropriate sphere.

Locke’s concern was not entirely baseless.

more
https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2020/09/26/nyt-maybe-little-anti-catholicism-good-thing-comes-barrett/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline RedHead

Religious bigotry of any kind is never a good thing.

Offline skeeter

The left is really letting its hair down. Not a pretty sight.

Offline PeteS in CA

... White Catholics are no longer subject to the religious bigotry that once animated vicious rumors and, occasionally, violent attacks on Catholics and their places of learning and worship. ...

Ummmmmm ... is this writer that ignorant of the anti-Catholic bigotry and crimes of the past 2 or 3 decades? Bigotry such as DiFei's? And Kammy's attack on another judge for belonging to the Catholic organization Knights of Columbus? And the attempts to force Catholic orgs such as the Little Sisters of the Poor to violate their Pro-Life beliefs when they purchase health insurance? And vandalism of Catholic churches? And worse, https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/pastor-urges-prayer-forgiveness-after-florida-man-tries-to-burn-down-incarnation-catholic-church-71890 .
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline PeteS in CA

IMO, unless they have something close to a non-religious Road to Damascus experience they're going to say things very publicly that will backfire on them in a very big way.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Jews have dealt with this from the Left for decades.
Try walking on any American campus wearing a yarmulke or a Star of David backpack.
If you can go one day without being assaulted by students there, that would be a record.
American Colleges have preached, "Maybe a little anti-Semitism is a good thing." for a long time.
Of course they hide it in being for the poor oppressed so called Palestinians (who would murder all these Infidels if they could).
But that is just an excuse to justify their hate of all things Jewish.
So to my fellow Catholics I say, Welcome to the Club.
In fact the only single Western religion that the Leftist do not hate and actually revere and support is Islam.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:35:41 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Try walking on any American campus wearing a yarmulke or a Star of David backpack.
If you can go one day without being assaulted by students there, that would be a record.
American Colleges have preached, "Maybe a little anti-Semitism is a good thing." for a long time.
Of course they hide it in being for the poor oppressed so called Palestinians (who would murder all these Infidels if they could).
In fact the only single Western religion that the Leftist do not hate and actually revere and support is Islam.

:bighug:
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline skeeter

The one religion that tolerates slavery, treats women like chattel and hangs gays from cranes. Figure that one out.

Offline verga

I want to go on the record publicly thanking all of you in general and Nancy in particular for the total tolerance and acceptance I feel on this site as a Conservative Catholic, and the willingness to support faithful Catholics in public office. This was/is not something that happened on TOS, and I genuinely appreciate it. A very sincere Thank you.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I want to go on the record publicly thanking all of you in general and Nancy in particular for the total tolerance and acceptance I feel on this site as a Conservative Catholic, and the willingness to support faithful Catholics in public office. This was/is not something that happened on TOS, and I genuinely appreciate it. A very sincere Thank you.

As a conservative Catholic..I thank YOU!
Support the USO

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Re: NYT: Maybe a little anti-Catholicism is a good thing when it comes to Barrett
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 03:58:03 am »
I thought we were past this nonsense when JFK ran for POTUS.  Let the atheist Democommies, emphasis on commie go ahead and try and tear her apart on religion.  Trump and ALL REPUBLICANS will pick up additional votes for not discriminating on the basis of religion.   This is still the USA, yes???

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: NYT: Maybe a little anti-Catholicism is a good thing when it comes to Barrett
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 04:26:58 am »
We have been in the club for a long time. In the 1720s, a Jesuit Priest sold himself to one of my ancestors and became property of the Manor Lord, which saved him from being tortured to death or hanged during the purges of the Protestant Reformation in Maryland.
He remained thus, hiding behind English Common Law, until things settled down. (This is part of the reason I shake my head when people launch into the Uncle Tom's Cabin version of slavery, using an agitprop novel written by an abolitionist to characterize an institution that was not always harsh, however much we dislike the idea of such states of servitude). The Priest performed pastoral duties on the Manor, until things settled down and then purchased his freedom (likely at a discount).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 04:32:25 am »
US Constitution

Article VI

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline PeteS in CA

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2020, 03:09:30 pm »
US Constitution

Article VI

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

The US Constitution is superseded by Orange Man BAD!.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2020, 04:42:16 pm »
This was/is not something that happened on TOS

You got that right.  As a Present Truth Christian, I also experienced similar persecution and intolerance.  I would find myself drawn to religious threads defending underdogs of all denominations.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2020, 04:50:33 pm »

@240B

That's because Islam is NOT a religion. It is a totalitarian form of government ran by dictators that mask it is a religion in order to try to overturn and dominate legitimate governments.

Is it any wonder the left feels right at home with them?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2020, 04:53:11 pm »

@verga

Unless I miss MY best guess,this has nothing to do with Catholicism,and everything to do with individual freedoms.

Religious tolerance,AND tolerance for those of us who are NOT religious is a hallmark of commitment
to individual freedoms.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 05:11:20 pm »
The one religion that tolerates slavery, treats women like chattel and hangs gays from cranes. Figure that one out.

It's a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" sort of reasoning.  The most fundamental commitment of the Left since it got that name from the seating arrangement in the French National Assembly has been hatred of the Gospel.  The French revolutionaries committed genocide against the pious inhabitants of the Vendee in a way that prefigured the Bolshevik treatment of the Holy Orthodox Church.  Leftists know that Muslims are rabidly anti-Christian so they naturally think they are on the same side.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.