Author Topic: Houston-to-Dallas bullet train given green light from feds, company says  (Read 631 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Dug Begley Sep. 21, 2020

Federal officials have issued final approvals to backers of a Houston-to-Dallas high-speed rail line, further clearing the way for construction of the proposed line, in a move all but certain to face ongoing challenges from opponents.

Texas Central Railroad, the company planning to operate trains from Houston to Dallas with a stop near College Station, said early Monday that the Federal Railroad Administration had issued both the Record of Decision that ends the environmental analysis and the Rule of Particular Applicability that governs the safety standards the Japanese-developed trains must use.

“This is the moment we have been working towards,” said Carlos Aguilar, CEO of Texas Central Railroad.

Railroad administration officials submitted the final rules Sept. 11 and made them publicly available Monday.

Company officials — who less than a decade ago expected construction to cost $10 billion, now say building it will cost “around $20 billion,” with construction possibly starting in the first half of next year.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/houston-dallas-bullet-train-federal-approval-texas-15582761.php

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Houston-to-Dallas bullet train given green light from feds, company says
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 11:08:54 pm »
I heard they are gonna call it:  MIRTT

Moving Illegal's Rapidly thru Texas.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 11:24:09 pm »
Many estimate by 2040,  Houston and Dallas will comprise the 3rd and 4th largest metro areas in the US,  combined, they will rival NYC.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 02:58:29 am »
Dallas Area Rapid Transit=DART

Fort Worth Area Rapid Transit=FART

happy77

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 01:53:02 pm »
A boondoggle to beat all boondoggles.

How many thousands of acres will be taken from landowners along the way to satisfy a few liberal idiots who don't want to drive like the rest of us?

Every single acre of land will be taken out of the property tax rolls, making Texans owning properties in affected counties pay higher taxes.  Property taxes is the largest source of income to local government. That is besides the higher state taxes we must pay because less gasoline tax is used.

I wonder if that is included in any of the justifications here?

Oh, I forgot, there is NO economic justification for this episode in idiocy.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 10:48:12 pm »
False

https://www.google.com/search?q=railroads+pay+property+taxes&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS831US832&oq=railroads+pay+property+taxes&aqs=chrome..69i57j35i39l2j46l2j0j69i61j69i65.9024j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Good catch, as I had assumed it was publicly owned and not subject to taxation. 

That aside, do you believe property values and attendant tax revenue along this monstrosity will increase or decrease once it is in operation?  I wonder how the per acre valuation will be for those pieces of land that will be divided into two or more sections of land?

BTW, great to see you back @thackney .

I assume you have been buttressing your home for the current storm in your neck of the woods.  Are you safe?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 10:51:17 pm »
Why would anybody in Dallas want to go to Houston?  And why would anybody in Houston want to go to Dallas?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 10:54:10 pm »
Why would anybody in Dallas want to go to Houston?  And why would anybody in Houston want to go to Dallas?

It's going to be about the cities in between the two,  that corridor is going to grow by leaps and bounds.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 01:37:02 pm »
It's going to be about the cities in between the two,  that corridor is going to grow by leaps and bounds.

With only one stop in between (between Huntsville and College Station) I do not think there will be much growth around the corridor.  There will be a few maintenance jobs but not much else creating growth.

https://www.texascentral.com/facts/
(where will the stations be)
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 01:44:11 pm »
?

Why would you believe between the two cities will grow with a rail that passes by when they do not grow much with an interstate highway that exists where people can easily pull off the road?

Can you point out somewhere that has happened elsewhere?

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 03:44:24 pm »
Good catch, as I had assumed it was publicly owned and not subject to taxation. 

That aside, do you believe property values and attendant tax revenue along this monstrosity will increase or decrease once it is in operation?  I wonder how the per acre valuation will be for those pieces of land that will be divided into two or more sections of land?

Since the majority of this property is Ag exempt land and the railroad property will not have that exemption, the total taxes will likely go up.  There have been many lawsuits showing taxing authorities often greatly overvalue the rail property to collect more tax revenue.  Plus the rolling stock become taxable to the state.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 04:16:23 pm »
Since the majority of this property is Ag exempt land and the railroad property will not have that exemption, the total taxes will likely go up.  There have been many lawsuits showing taxing authorities often greatly overvalue the rail property to collect more tax revenue.  Plus the rolling stock become taxable to the state.
The fallacy there is that the Ag exemption reduces tax revenue across the board.  Instead, it is present in order to increase Ag income upon which jobs are created and produce and timber are realized.

I believe it a stretch to say that a rail line with dubious income generated will pay as much in taxes, even if property taxes increase, as the individual and commercial businesses it displaces will.

And we really don't know whether the state will permit property tax relief for a flailing enterprise like this rail line anyway. It is already permitting a private company to use the powerful eminent domain provision to take over private lands, and it ED rarely pays the going rate of property values, as I personally can attest to when it was used on my own land.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:00:44 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 04:35:22 pm »
With only one stop in between (between Huntsville and College Station) I do not think there will be much growth around the corridor.  There will be a few maintenance jobs but not much else creating growth.

https://www.texascentral.com/facts/
(where will the stations be)

One of the idiocies of CA's Bullet Boondoggle is that it will make multiple stops as it travels north through the Central Valley, basically eliminating much/most of the increased speed. Taking a new path that crosses multiple earthquake faults is a couple more idiocies.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline berdie

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 08:08:21 pm »
It seems an odd expense to me. Since they raised the speed limit on I45...one can be in Houston in no time. Of course if there is a wreck you are in deep doo-doo. But I'll make a jump and say there will be delays on this train system. My brother and I call the area between Ennis and Houston the Forbidden Zone...it looks just like Planet Of The Apes. And I am fairly certain there are really no towns on the sparse exits. j/k

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 09:50:32 pm »

I hadn't figured that part out, either.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 10:12:28 pm »
It seems an odd expense to me. Since they raised the speed limit on I45...one can be in Houston in no time. Of course if there is a wreck you are in deep doo-doo. But I'll make a jump and say there will be delays on this train system. My brother and I call the area between Ennis and Houston the Forbidden Zone...it looks just like Planet Of The Apes. And I am fairly certain there are really no towns on the sparse exits. j/k

This is a study they used to justify it.

http://www.texascentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Ridership-Brochure.pdf

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 01:09:42 am »
The thing that should stop dead this idiocy in its tracks is the likely hesitance of people

1. to locate or to stay in major cities due to Covid and rioting

2. to take mass transit in any form

Signs already out there see reduced demand for city services and businesses in favor of suburbs and smaller towns, as well as lower usage of travel using buses, trains or planes.

The state should demand a new study faced with a dwindling potential for usage and changed demographics of these two large urban areas.