Author Topic: Democrats optimistic about winning Senate majority despite diminished chances in Texas race  (Read 157 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats optimistic about winning Senate majority despite diminished chances in Texas race
by Naomi Lim, Political Reporter |
 | September 24, 2020 06:34 AM

Democrats had big hopes for Texas, but the party's Senate candidate lags behind longtime Republican incumbent John Cornyn six weeks before Election Day.

MJ Hegar, a U.S. Air Force veteran and teacher, has closed the double-digit gap between her and Cornyn. Yet she continues to trail the senator, first elected in 2002, by an average of 8.3 percentage points, according to RealClearPolitics.

Democrats were optimistic early in the cycle that demographic shifts and a hard-fought presidential race in Texas would help their picks up and down the ballot, particularly after then-Rep. Beto O'Rourke's surprisingly strong Senate bid in 2018. While those factors may still influence House contests on the ticket this fall, they don't seem to be elevating Hegar.

For Republican strategist Derek Ryan, Hegar is struggling given her low name recognition. In comparison, Cornyn was the state's attorney general and a judge. That wasn't all Hegar's doing, Ryan said. Hegar, who unsuccessfully vied for Texas's 31st Congressional District north of Austin in 2018, was delayed in introducing herself to the broader electorate because her primary runoff was pushed to July.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/democrats-optimistic-about-winning-senate-majority-despite-diminished-chances-in-texas-race
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Good news about TX. I've changed my mind about the SCOTUS hearings. Lessee how well the rats do in the senate after they do their usual trashing of whichever candidate Trump puts up.

Online kevindavis007

Good news about TX. I've changed my mind about the SCOTUS hearings. Lessee how well the rats do in the senate after they do their usual trashing of whichever candidate Trump puts up.

That is how they lost the Senate in 2018
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline RedHead

Don't overlook Kansas.  The Democrats have a serious candidate in Barbara Bollier who has a ton of money and has been able to portray herself as a moderate in ads going back to the beginning of the summer.  Marshall isn't a great campaigner and had to spend most of his money on the primary.  So while Bollier still has to be considered the underdog she is also the best chance the Democrats have has to take a Kansas senate seat in almost 100 years.  Underestimate her and the GOP could well lose another seat. 

Offline skeeter

That is how they lost the Senate in 2018

All they have to do is not overreach. And you and I both know they will.